Starsector - 0.91 release - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Starsector - 0.91 release

Default Starsector - 0.91 release

November 23rd, 2018, 15:24
RockPaperShotgun report on Starsector's 0.91 release.

I’ve previously described Fractal Softworks’s space sim Starsector (primarily the work of solo dev Alexander Mosolov) as ‘Mount & Blade: Warband in space’. High praise at the time, but as of today’s version 0.9a release, I feel it might be selling it short. Today’s update (patch notes here) is over a year in the works, and vastly broadens the scope of involvement you can have in its still-expanding procedural space sandbox, including colony management. The excellent real-time tactical combat has been improved too, including new battles against enormous orbital platforms.

[…]

loading…

Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

November 23rd, 2018, 15:24
Wow, i bought this several years ago in alpha stage.. thought its dead. Looks like there has been a lot of work done. Hopefully i find my key or license.

vidder

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 23rd, 2018, 16:54
Must have missed this game being announced years ago.

Think I still prefer both these games instead.

Alliance of the Sacred Suns - https://allianceofthesacredsuns.com/
Star Dynasties - https://stardynasties.com/
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)

November 23rd, 2018, 17:24
They had to change name years ago. Development was going on for 10 years mininum?

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

November 23rd, 2018, 20:24
The game got under my radar, too. (Have 2D graphics will do that.)
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

November 24th, 2018, 09:11
I bought this yonks ago and enjoyed it a lot. So, when the new release was announced I immediately jumped on it. Turns out I bought this game in 2011 back when it was called Starfarer. The key still worked, thankfully, and I can tell you all that the new update is good stuff.

Has anyone encountered any story events or interesting missions? I don't want to give spoilers, but I found one. Sometime I check out the bars, and this one time I found a guy who told me about a red planet on the other side of the universe. When you get over there, you have an interesting encounter with some Remnants.

I also found a signal device giving a "high" warning. When I went to that system, I encountered multiple massive Remnant fleets and a space station. Is there anything more to it, story wise, or is it just a series of battles and loot? Can you ever salvage the Remnant vessels, or only the weapons? I salvaged some remnant bombers at one point.

Antiquity Games

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 24th, 2018, 11:56
Originally Posted by Antiquity Games View Post
I bought this yonks ago and enjoyed it a lot. So, when the new release was announced I immediately jumped on it. Turns out I bought this game in 2011 back when it was called Starfarer. The key still worked, thankfully, and I can tell you all that the new update is good stuff.

Has anyone encountered any story events or interesting missions? I don't want to give spoilers, but I found one. Sometime I check out the bars, and this one time I found a guy who told me about a red planet on the other side of the universe. When you get over there, you have an interesting encounter with some Remnants.

I also found a signal device giving a "high" warning. When I went to that system, I encountered multiple massive Remnant fleets and a space station. Is there anything more to it, story wise, or is it just a series of battles and loot? Can you ever salvage the Remnant vessels, or only the weapons? I salvaged some remnant bombers at one point.
i played it some 10hrs each release since 2 or 3 yrs, it seems a pure sandbox to me so i'm not sure any "main plot" is taking place.

They Live

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 24th, 2018, 17:54
The combat is majestic in this game. Good weapon sounds. Engine glows are changing per speed, there is visible damage to the ships, when destroyed they break apart in nice explosions. Very satisfying.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

November 24th, 2018, 18:06
There are a lot of these games so it is hard to pick and choose the one that works- having said that the space game I really want to see is a modern freespace or x-wing. Those dog fights were epic.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Starsector - 0.91 release