What are you reading?

Lloyd Alexander once wrote the Book Of Three ...

I chugged through the second book in the Covenant series, the Illearth War in two days, then jumped right into the third novel. Now I had to park that because the library had the fifth Rivers of London book in for me, so that gets priority. I quite enjoy having books lined up for my pleasure!

I'd say this thread was begging to be born.

I recently completed Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men. McCarthy is one of my favourite author and I was disappointed at first with this novel: the aging author is no more the incredible prose stylist he was in Blood Meridian (a fantastic 'western', highly recommended) and his other books, he now writes in a much simpler way that's hard to believe is the effort of someone who's elevated english prose to his level, but by the end my appreciation changed. Not one of his best, but still good and very moving.
Now reading the latest from arguably the finest contempory french novelist, Richard Millet. If anyone is curious, I'd suggest they try 'Ma Vie Parmi les Ombres' (My life amongst shadows, for a literal translation), a great novel.

Right now I’m finishing up “Rules for Radicals” by Saul D. Alinsky in order to understand some of the political tactics that are have been and are currently being used by the alt-right movement.

I completed the fifth book in the Rivers of London series the other day, and this one was a bit more cranial with a decline in the overall action. Not entirely a bad thing, just different, and while I didn't find myself enjoying the book as, say, some of the earlier ones in the series, I did catch my mind pondering the latest novel a bit more than I usually do.

I was just going over my digital library of epub books and browsed my collection of Michael Moorcock books. I think I'll put Rome on hold and read those instead.

Hmm I''ll start with his Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné saga.

Now you're talking! :)

Busy re-reading the War God series by David Weber. Plus some new books based on Recluse world by L. E. Modesitt, Jr., the Books of Glittering Stone (from the Black Company by Glen Cook .. who is releasing a new book soon (Port of Shadows) so refreshing my memory).

Plus picked up the newest Witcher book to read and have on order the next book in a series by Michael Sullivan. So lots of summer reading between game playing.

I finished Star Trek Discovery: Drastic Measures a few days ago. Good, solid story linked to an original episode, and set in the time that Robert April captained Enterprise. Of course, that vessel is a bit player in the story, the focus is on a criminal and his friends, and features Commander Philippa Georgiou as well as Lt. Commander Lorca. Well worth reading if you have any interest in the current series, as well as the first one.

Started Vicious yesterday, and completed it this afternoon. An interesting twist on the superhero genre, and I've read a few of these types, this one I didn't find nearly as compelling as a couple of others. The premise was interesting at least, but it lacked a few things that would have made it excellent.

And right after the book above was done, I jumped right into a Joe Hill novel entitled, "Nos4a2". It reads almost exactly like a King novel would (and probably should), and even has a few references to some of his father's works. I found the start a bit slow, but it picked up and got better. Supposedly there's going to be a telly show or movie based on this at some point.

If you take a close look at the title and understand the inference, much of the premise of the novel will be clear to you.

Small but thick book on latin inscriptions in Dresden, all translated, of course.

On this glorious Saturday, straight after the morning football match, I tucked into The Prince of Thorns and.....lost most of the day. Where to begin with this book, it is one of the most violent, bloodthirsty, despicable, thrilling, make-you-stop-reading-to-think-about-the-intense-shit-you-just-experienced novels I've ever laid my eyes on.

I immediately requested the second book. At some point I will buy the series, even if the other books suck, simply to bronze that first novel. This one goes on my ten books to read before you depart this world, I rank it right up there with Glenn Cook stories for sheer scope.

I read Gormerghast (at the least the first book of the series). I heard Neil Gaiman was doing a TV adaption of this famous book. A book or author I had never heard about. It is considered a classic-up there with Lord of the Rings? What a tough read. So many words given to the smallest detail, so much description. Imaginative. Yes. I managed to finished it as form of self flagellation. Not sure I can complete the trilogy.

Today I finished the King of Thorns, the second novel in the Broken Empire saga, and just more great stuff. Perhaps it isn't quite as strong as the first book, but still quite satisfying. This author has an almost unique way of telling stories, my guess would be that some people might not care for it. He wastes little time on exposition, the filler is scant to none, and I love it all the more for the effort he puts into each page.

Hum. Sounds decent I think I'll add it to my reading list after I finish the Lorien Legacies. The title sounds similar to the Briar King which was fantastic (ok ok the title has nothing to do with the actual book).

Today I finished the King of Thorns, the second novel in the Broken Empire saga, and just more great stuff. Perhaps it isn't quite as strong as the first book, but still quite satisfying. This author has an almost unique way of telling stories, my guess would be that some people might not care for it. He wastes little time on exposition, the filler is scant to none, and I love it all the more for the effort he puts into each page.

Today I completed A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe, a space opera kind of novel, it reminded me somewhat of the Expanse books, and maybe a little bit of Firefly. It isn't really deep or thought-provoking in any way, but it tells a romp of a story and I found it a pretty easy read. There is a sci-fi blend of both technology and magic here, as people have developed a new organ that grants most people an ability to do limited magic. This, as you might expect, can have far reaching benefits/undesirable consequences when space faring vessels are involved. Again, not a profound read but I lost a couple of days in this one. I'll be looking for the sequel which is due out later this year, I believe.

I just finished the first two Kingkiller books. Books don’t usually make me laugh unless they’re Terry Prachett but this part cracked me up:

Come listen all, and I will tell
A tale of brave and daring deeds.
Of wonders Kvothe the Bloodless wrought,
And of the time he bravely fought
A twigling girl no more than ten.
And listen how it came to pass,
The mighty blow he bravely dealt
That knocked her sprawling to the grass,
And of the glow of joy he felt

Anyways, Broken Empire was next on my list, so just started.

Back
Top Bottom