Coronavirus (No Politics)

Trying to eat while wearing a face mask is not recommended.

a pibbur
Tell me…about it. It's inconvenient and makes your mask a mess.:blush:

It's a lot easier to just order out at home or use curbside pickup.

Tell me…about it. It's inconvenient and makes your mask a mess.:blush:
And you don't get to taste the food, and you will remain hungry. Until you realize what's going on.
It's a lot easier to just order out at home or use curbside pickup.
Good point.

a pibbur who usually eats without any preoral obstructions.

Mass testing which gives results very quickly but at the cost of lower accuracy.

I actually think that it sounds good but it assumes that those getting a notification to stay at home will actually do so. I think I saw, in the UK, that follow ups on people notified by our track and trace system found that they did not stay the full 14 days in isolation. Has this been factored into the numbers?

Mass testing which gives results very quickly but at the cost of lower accuracy.

I actually think that it sounds good but it assumes that those getting a notification to stay at home will actually do so. I think I saw, in the UK, that follow ups on people notified by our track and trace system found that they did not stay the full 14 days in isolation. Has this been factored into the numbers?

The research suggests that the benefit of near instant results would heavily outweigh the lack of accuracy in the earliest phase of the infection.

With regard to non co-operative people, I think that's why they talk about how this would very effective if even half the population participated. In that regard, there's probably not much downside compared to complete lockdowns - the irresponsible ones are likely to disregard those rules, too.

Yes, this is good - the response is starting to come together. It remains to be seen how many decide not to be vaccinated, or participate in self-testing and quarantine. In some places, I fear the numbers may be high.

It's curious how these different companies are coming up with vaccines that are 90-something % effective almost simultaneously. I'm not a conspiracy theorist myself, but I can understand some people being skeptical.

I think, like pibbur mentioned, we need to treat the effectiveness numbers with a certain amount of skepticism, and see how things shake out in the real world. But I don't find the arrival of several vaccines in a short space of time particularly surprising. I think that's just the time period the development required, with the world's best labs going full tilt, with maximum resources, and shaving the normal procedures down to the bare minimum.

Anyways, where's my zombie apocalypse emergency backpack…
Not there when you need it.

a pibbur who predicts we'll now see more and more mink zombie movies and games.

PS. In principle any animal species can be cast in a horror movie. We've had spiders, dogs, rabbits, tics, spiders, birds and ... did I mention spiders? There's millions of more suitable(?) species. We've also had evil plants, like triffids and others (https://www2.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/lists/10-great-killer-plant-films). Endless possibilities. DS

It's curious how these different companies are coming up with vaccines that are 90-something % effective almost simultaneously. I'm not a conspiracy theorist myself, but I can understand some people being skeptical.

[not directed at you]
I can understand people who know nothing about science, but subscribe to an echo chamber of other non-scientists and come up with weird non-scientific explanations that scratch the conspiracy theorist itch while making anyone with actual subject matter knowledge cringe and/or roll their eyes ...

The reality is that unlike so many other times we had a pretty fixed starting point, and while the exact characteristics of this virus were not known, the general method of vaccine development is something these companies know pretty well. So it is a matter of the extraction and characterization and experiments to find a path - and since 90% effectiveness is a pretty typical bar for these things, that is the 'report out' point.

If you go back and look at the data you can see that while they both surpass 90%, Pfizer and Moderna have different distributions. (and that is just those two)

vac3.png

And of course the compounds used are different, which leads to the very different storage conditions. Not surprising, but it really shows how serious things are that you have people actually discussing ultra-cold storage options that would normally be laughed at.

Lots of very promising stuff ... and I am very fortunate to finally be working on stuff that will directly impact people's lives in this case through vaccine delivery.

The reality is that unlike so many other times we had a pretty fixed starting point, and while the exact characteristics of this virus were not known, the general method of vaccine development is something these companies know pretty well.

Yes, but nonetheless, the high effectiveness constitutes reason to be (pleasantly) surprised, given that both Biontech and Moderna used a fairly novel approach by going for an mRNA vaccine. In addition, Biontech (which seems to be the R&D driver behind the Pfizer vaccine) is actually more focused on cancer therapeutics, and their Coronavirus vaccine appears to be more of a by-product. So, yeah, still a fairly good dice roll!

Read a few articles today about we might need two or more shots just to achieve immunity. Also they finally talked about the side affects which are not good either.

Basically you will get the some of the same side effects as Co-vid 19 for a day or more. Also Pfizer looks to be the first choice to be fast tracked in a few more weeks in the US.

Health staff and those at high risk will get the shots first.

Link - https://science.sciencemag.org/content/370/6520/1022

I wouldn't worry too much about those reaction reports. It's not that unusual for flu shots to cause flu-like symptoms, and sometimes aches and pains. I've been vaccinated against various tropical things, and had a minor reaction to one of the shots (I forget which one). The next day my arm felt like it had been punched by George Foreman, but it soon passed.

I had the shingle vaccine and lets just say that's not something I want to go through again. So I hope the side effects are not comparable as I'm reading on the CDC.

Back
Top Bottom