The Witcher Netflix series begins production.

Sheitan is the movie you're talking about.
Sheitan is one of those movies you need to watch before you die.
Sure, the movie is not something you'll talk about on a date. Or you will? I know I would.
Cassel's performance in it? Masterful. Then again, name me one movie and any role he didn't pwn.

Watch immediately.
Rutger Hauer in his prime might have made a good Geralt, except… well, he was never really an outstanding actor. Adequate, sure. But outstanding?
He's too old now. Sadly.
Outstanding? Of course he is. It's just he doesn't care what movie he'll be in and films anything.

Here and now, right out of my head, I think Jim Caviezel of "Person of Interest" fame might be a good Geralt.

pibbur who may disagree with that tomorrow.

Here and now, right out of my head, I think Jim Caviezel of "Person of Interest" fame might be a good Geralt.

pibbur who may disagree with that tomorrow.
Yes that is not a bad one

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

All I want is the TV show to be average at best, and if possible not suck. As I watched the Polish movie and TV series many years, and it wasn't great either.

Link - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1070742/

Last edited:
I am going with its being sucking for now. A so-called show runner will come in and say, "hey I know better than the author and the fans" and I will randomly change things to appeal to a mass audience. This will mean many things including,

a comic side kick (Roach may get turned into a talking horse) to Geralt
simplifying or changing plots just because
diversity check

I am going with its being sucking for now. A so-called show runner will come in and say, "hey I know better than the author and the fans" and I will randomly change things to appeal to a mass audience. This will mean many things including,

a comic side kick (Roach may get turned into a talking horse) to Geralt
simplifying or changing plots just because
diversity check
Good points but talking Roach was hilarious in Blood and Wine.:lol:

I assume that the series will be based on the books, not the games? Why do you think the series will suck? Netflix has produced some good series, methinks. Eh.. some bad ones also - I wasn't too happy with the Altered Carbon series.

pibbur who is just asking, not arguing.

Well, for my part - I think most Netflix series suck - especially when compared to their potential and the budgets involved.

Then again, I'm extremely harsh when it comes to TV and movies - compared to what I think is the norm.

That said, I have zero expectations for this Witcher show. I would assume it's just another so-so half-assed show, but it could also be a masterpiece.

I really have no way of knowing. But once the casting is set in stone, I will have a good idea of how well the people involved understand the characters - and perhaps a little more of what to expect.

I see your point, and it's valid.

Another question: Are your understanding of the character based on the game or the books?

A corollary: Is there a difference between Geralt of the books and Geralt of the games?

pibbur who doesn't know.

Another question: Are your understanding of the character based on the game or the books?

A corollary: Is there a difference between Geralt of the books and Geralt of the games?

pibbur who doesn't know.
Yes, books Geralt is an adult, he's really depressed and therefore depressing. He really, really doesn't take well the desapearing of Ciri...

Video games Geralt enjoy himself and his life more. He's more lighthearted and teenager.

I hope they'll use books Geralt. He has more things to say.

pibbur who doesn't know.

I've only read part of Last Wish - so I've yet to establish the potential differences.

I would assume the characters themselves are reasonably similar - with certain concessions made for the very different mediums.

But then again, I'm almost never a purist in that way. Only when it comes to Star Trek and Tolkien ;)

I'm not "married" to anything in Witcher - so I'll likely be quite accomodating when it comes to certain changes.

However, I think it's pretty clear what Geralt is like if we take his physical characteristics and the "core" of his personality and what it means to be a Witcher (the consequences of mutations, etc.).

Which is exactly what you would need to take into account when casting such a role.

For instance, the reason I don't think Caviezel would be a great choice - is that I know a few things about him as a person. First of all, he's deeply, deeply religious - and he's also extremely dedicated to supporting his faith - much more so than I would think his career in popular entertainment. Playing Geralt would seem to be a very strange choice - in that case.

Beyond that, I think he's too soft a person in terms of his outward appearance.

For him to change into Geralt would take a very serious transformation of character - or maybe I'm not giving him enough credit.

Why? Because he's driven from a place of emotionally rigid principles. I don't think such a position is a great place to start for a role that's essentially void of emotion - at least on the surface.

In that same way, I think he would be a terrible person to play Sherlock Holmes or a Vulcan in Star Trek - because they share the same core characteristics of Geralt.

However, there are certain very notable exceptions.

For instance, if you look at Sofia Helin (the woman who plays Saga Noren in "Broen" - which is a character with pronounced Asperger - and which is infamous for her lack of concern or understanding of social graces) - she was actually the perfect person to play that role, because she's EXTREMELY sensitive and emotional in real life - and that comes through in Saga in a very, very profound way.

So, it can work - but, again, I don't think it's the norm.

For someone like Mikkelsen, it would be a trivial task. Not only does he have a much wider range - he's also not bound by outside factors that really have no place in the life of an actor taking his craft seriously. Beyond that, he fits the look almost to a tee - and he's also a little exotic looking, which will only aid the part - I think.

But that would be my perception.

Interesting.

I can agree with your comments about Caviezel. I was considering the same aspects, but he was the only one that dropped into my head at the time.

And for Saga Noren - I agree completely.

pibbur who - disregarding (lack of) acting skills, thinks he would be too soft to play Geralt as well.

I think another potential pick, which may sound strange at first could be Hugh Jackman.
I know he's mostly famous for X-Men but he has played several other roles that demonstrate a range of possible acting profiles. He already has the bulk of a Witcher and I think simply needs the white hair and scars (which is easy enough to do). He doesn't have a standard American accent either which can add some character like Mikkelsen.

I think another potential pick, which may sound strange at first could be Hugh Jackman.
I know he's mostly famous for X-Men but he has played several other roles that demonstrate a range of possible acting profiles. He already has the bulk of a Witcher and I think simply needs the white hair and scars (which is easy enough to do). He doesn't have a standard American accent either which can add some character like Mikkelsen.

I would think Hugh Jackman would be too expensive. Withcer is well know to us but its not mainstream IP right so I doubt the budge is huge for this...

I would think Hugh Jackman would be too expensive. Withcer is well know to us but its not mainstream IP right so I doubt the budge is huge for this…

You're probably right, but wasn't thinking about budget when I wrote that.

I didn't believe you so :)

Henry Cavill to Star in ‘Witcher’ Series at Netflix
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/henry-cavill-the-witcher-netflix-series-1202925521/

From Henry Cavill Instagram, at least he is in it for more than the money…

henrycavillMy new mailing address is:

Geralt
C/O Vesemir
Kaer Morhen
Kaer Morhen Valley
Hertch
Kaedwen

Please note, I'm rarely there. Monster slaying being what it is. So, replies will be few and far between, if at all.
@Netflix
#Witcher
#GeraltOfRivia

Cavill%2BWitcher.PNG

its official, superman will be geralt
Which one as two actors play that part in the last twenty years.

1. Brandon Routh
2. Henry Cavill

Well three if you count Smallville.

3. Tom Welling
I didn't believe you so :)

Henry Cavill to Star in ‘Witcher’ Series at Netflix
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/henry-cavill-the-witcher-netflix-series-1202925521/
Dammit you beat my reply by one minute. :slap:

Thanks for the link though that clarified it.

Meh. They should have given him Dandelion role. Or Roach.:)
There is still hope if they make support cast interesting.

Back
Top Bottom