VtM: Bloodlines - Paradox Considering Sequel

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@DSOGaming Paradox Interactive are looking into a sequel for Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines is considered nowadays a classic PC RPG. Created by Troika Games, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines was plagued by a number of bugs and issues that were resolved by its community. And according to Paradox’s CEO, the team is looking into a sequel.

[...]
More information.

Didn't see that coming.

Without knowing who would be working on it, it doesn't mean much. Give a quality IP to the wrong people and you get Deus Ex: Invisible War, Return To Krondor or one of any number of other ball-dropping sequels.

Obsidian would be the most obvious choice; they're got prior collaborations with Paradox and 2/3 of Troika's founders (Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky) are now there. Ideally they'd also bring in Jason Andersen, Brian Mitsoda, and any of the other original designers / writers if possible. Additional bonus is that Sawyer is taking a break from directing so he won't be put in charge & demand balance!

Of course, bringing in the original developers isn't guarantee of success. That's what inXile did for TToN & yet seems many fans of P:T were disappointed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They're looking to cash in on the name of course. Paradox has never released anything other than strategy games, and now they suddenly want to do a sequel to a classic crpg?

Paradox bought White Wolf back in 2015 from EVE Online firm CCP ,and this rumor has been going around since then. Hopefully something happens but don't hold your breath.

Great. Each vampire in the game will be a DLC.

Haha, that was almost exactly my first thought - each clan a DLC.

Re a sequel… Will believe it when I see it.

Give a quality IP to the wrong people and you get Deus Ex: Invisible War,
But Invisible War was developed by the same studio as the original Deus Ex… Did they become the "wrong" people inbetween the two? No, Invisible War sucked because of decisions made, largely because it was targetted at consoles.

I hope they approach CD Projekt. Short of that I am hoping for Nightdive Studios. At least they will try to be faithful to the feel of the original game.

Paradox has never released anything other than strategy games, and now they suddenly want to do a sequel to a classic crpg?
Actually they were the publisher for both Pillars of Eternity 1 and Tyranny.
Makes Obsidian a more likely developer. Maybe?

Without knowing who would be working on it, it doesn't mean much. Give a quality IP to the wrong people and you get Deus Ex: Invisible War, Return To Krondor or one of any number of other ball-dropping sequels.
Sorry but IMO Return to Krondor was a great game. Not spectacular ofc, but still great.
The sequel that sucked though was Betrayal in Antara.

There's not a developer out there as currently constructed that can make this how it should be. They need to get together and form a super team. You need Brian Mitsoda, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky + a budget to start. Maybe sprinkle some Chris Avellone in there, and I like Brian Fargo and InXile in terms of how they approach the Kickstarter Era games (InXile's games are the most old-school and traditional of the latest CRPGs, IMO. Almost to a fault if you base their success on sales.)

Until they really say they are going in hard on a project like this then I'm not expecting much. Time for another VtM: Bloodlines replay soon in the meantime. :party:

I hope they approach CD Projekt. Short of that I am hoping for Nightdive Studios. At least they will try to be faithful to the feel of the original game.

Nightdive???? Oh noes

Love the original game to death, but Paradox.....dunno. Doesn't seem their style at all, and I would fear the sheer shower of extra content that you'd have to buy in the future to have the entire game.

Obsidian would be the most obvious choice; they're got prior collaborations with Paradox and 2/3 of Troika's founders (Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky) are now there. Ideally they'd also bring in Jason Andersen, Brian Mitsoda, and any of the other original designers / writers if possible. Additional bonus is that Sawyer is taking a break from directing so he won't be put in charge & demand balance!

Of course, bringing in the original developers isn't guarantee of success. That's what inXile did for TToN & yet seems many fans of P:T were disappointed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Paradox are extremely unlikely to work with Obsidian ever again, also, Tim & Leonard are working on their own game for Take2.

And technically, a new Vampire game could go in an entirely new direction while still being billed as "Bloodlines" 2, with a new developer.

Paradox are extremely unlikely to work with Obsidian ever again, also, Tim & Leonard are working on their own game for Take2.
Has anymore info been shared yet besides the publisher, and a possible 2019 release?
And technically, a new Vampire game could go in an entirely new direction while still being billed as "Bloodlines" 2, with a new developer.
Sadly this is correct given spiritual remakes.:(
Love the original game to death, but Paradox…..dunno. Doesn't seem their style at all, and I would fear the sheer shower of extra content that you'd have to buy in the future to have the entire game.
Paradox tried to make other games beside grand strategy but they get cancelled eventually. Just look at RuneMaster an RPG/Strategy hybrid, and it was promising.

Oof.
I really don't know any current developer that could live up to the task.
This game is too dear to me to see it become another "open world hype" thing.

Has anymore info been shared yet besides the publisher, and a possible 2019 release?
Sadly this is correct given spiritual remakes.:(
Paradox tried to make other games beside grand strategy but they get cancelled eventually. Just look at RuneMaster an RPG/Strategy hybrid, and it was promising.

I'm thinking we'll hear more about it at E3 in a couple of weeks.

The first (Redemtion) and the 2nd (Bloodlines) Vampire games have barely anything in common, beside being in the same universe. I'm saying a 3rd Vampire game could continue the tradition.

Not to mention I firmly believe Paradox would be immensely stupid to bill a new Vampire game as Bloodlines 2. At best, they'll bring in a loyal, but small fanbase, at worst - all the hate from it.

They also work with a lot of external developers, could have gotten some one to do a Vampire game for them. Larian, for example, they seem to be big enough now, could do something like that.

On another note, wiki says White Wolf are operating as an indipendant subsidiary, and have licenced a Werewolf board game to Focus Home Interactive, to be developed by Cyanide. Meaning, at this point at least, any future Vampire games could have absolutely nothing to do with Paradox.

Back
Top Bottom