Star Citizen Info Thread

A gameplay teaser would be a little of the gameplay not lots of cutscenes. Fake news! ;)

Not familiar with teasers or Wing Commander are you? ;)

Anyway, these aren't cutscenes - but in-game sequences. Everything that is not flying around and shooting will be exactly like that. The first part is just the introduction to the Mark Hamill character.

It's essentially Wing Commander with more fidelity. Nothing more, nothing less.

WIP pre-alpha SQ42 vertical slice.

Highlights = Music and I'm surprisingly intrigued by the story so far. Wonderful moment at the briefing with "Ser Davos".

I think we can be pretty certain that base isn't going to be there when they get back. You've got your young rookie who thinks he wants to see battle, the old guy who would like to see his son graduate, the engineer (with appropriate accent) casually mentioning how easy it is for something to go wrong and destroy the place, prisoners that all but say the place is about to be attacked (but they send their most powerful defense ships off anyway)… am I missing anything else? I'm normally pretty tolerant of clichés but sheez, that's just pathetic.

I am intrigued about the century-old ships that were fighting them. Maybe this will be a boring house with interesting people and furniture inside it?

Voice acting is mostly good (though Hamill's character's is doomed to die soon - the helpful wizard has to die early or he'll take glory away from the main character). Graphics are jaw dropping. Dialog choices are pretty weak. Animations look like they will be good. Space science is crap but I can deal with that if I get pretty screenshots in return.

To me, SQ42 is just icing on the cake. The PU is the real game.

I never really thought much of Wing Commander in terms of the writing - but it was always my favorite "space opera".

Never expected SQ42 to be particularly engaging when it comes to characters and the story - but this looks very good indeed.

I didn't expect performance to be this uneven, though. In the current PTU Alpha - everything offline is smooth as silk - with ~60-100 FPS. It's only once you enter the PU proper that things take a nosedive due to the server bottleneck, as they've yet to implement Container Streaming and a bunch of vital netcode upgrades.

I think my biggest concern for the singleplayer is the actual combat. They've nailed the physics and they have all the potential to make it the best space combat out there - but, to my mind, it's far away from that currently. I don't like the HUD at all - and though the combat feel is alright, everything is too chaotic and can't match up to games like Tie Fighter, Freespace 2 or even Elite Dangerous when it comes to pleasant figthing.

That said, there's plenty of time for polishing and optimization. In fact, they've only just entered that stage - and I guess it's needed for the singleplayer as well.

Version with commentary from the developers:

Highlights:

From CR:

Goal is constant 60 FPS for high-end rig - and at least 30 FPS for lower end rigs.

All the in-game video calls are based on people in the actual locations. Meaning, the people you see in the video calls are not cutscenes, but people who're actually located where they seem to be located - like a live Skype call happening in-game. Pretty cool.

From Sean Tracy (lead engine guy):

It's based on 100% live gameplay. It's pre-recorded, but it's NOT polished or manipulated in any way to "cheat" - which is why we're seeing stutters and inconsistent framerates. They've only just "scratched the surface" when it comes to optimization.

Also, they're releasing 3.0 to Live tomorrow.

Personally, I think it's a mistake - because it's not ready for public consumption. However, since they're moving to a quarterly update schedule, now that the Delta Patcher is out - it makes sense to have as many people playing it as possible, so they can release smaller polish and performance patches in between the bigger updates.

However, I'm not looking forward to all the whining about subpar performance.

There's been cow sim, now it's corridors sim? Ok ok alpha stuff, and beside corridors tourism value seems quite good. If the gameplay is has good than the tourism it can become a great game.

Eh? Can't put my finger on it, but looks, feels...bland? Lacks it's setting mojo, too generic, especially the music. Even last ( well one before that) COD was pretty solid as sci fi SP, expected something more invigorating.

Not quite, it's more like Freeman Star Edge. If for no other reason but both being PC exclusives not released yet.

Gameplay trailer for Freeman (it's singleplayer game!) with some additional voiced input:

Not covered in the trailer:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/freeman-star-edge

This title is supposed to appear in the last quarter of this year.

Didn't know till now. This game is cancelled due to funding problems.
It's developers moved to another project.

Eh? Odd how there was no buzz over it at E3..or anywhere really. How is this coming along? For NewDart's health, of course. Hope his spaceship is good and ready to go!
Ok, ok..bit joking here.

It certainly has its merits...

I think I'm gonna hurl all right...

I wonder how NewDArt is doing.

If you're lurking out there I hope you're well! :)

Thank you - I'm doing pretty good :)

As for SC - they've finally reached a point where they're delivering regular, meaty, content updates. What's more, they're doing it ON TIME - which is a bit of a first for CIG.

3.2 is the first time I've been tempted to actually play the game - rather than merely test it. Persistence is finally working well - and there are enough gameplay loops to make it fun.

But I know better than to invest myself into an alpha.

I no longer believe in late 2019, though. Maybe for SQ42 - but not the PU.

It could come out in 2020 I suppose, but I'm expecting something like 2021 or 2022 at this point.

Maybe it will coincide with Cyberpunk 2077 release. Which is somewhat appropriate, seeing as how they're both huge and ambitious games officially announced in 2012 :)

Of course, SC is much more ambitious - but still.

DA is that you?
Will you slow down this time and not burn yourself out?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

It's an experiment :)

I think I might have figured out what my problem is with online communication, and I want to try it out.

You did? So you tossed the phone into the closest trashbin?
Yay, there is still hope!

Back
Top Bottom