Only 400 active users?

That would remove more of 90 per cent of the content on this site as people write (action) about what they like/dislike.

As for the rest, people on this site are encouraged to express what they like. Writing reviews about disliked things is unwelcome let alone writing things without the like/dislike bias.

Eh, never got lurking. What's the point of forums anyways?
The only thing I'd do is get rid of likes.

I lurked two years before I joined. I pretty much just read the news bits at first and looked at game info. Then I started to look at comments on articles that interested me, and when I finally felt like I had something I wanted to say, I registered. I have to say it was the game reviews and articles which brought me to RPGWatch initially.

Most people reading the news have no reason to register. The forum member count doesn't reflect the site's audience.

And 'Active users' means users currently online, right? In that case, 400 is a very big number. I've only ever seen 400 users simultaneously online in highly popular forums.

Most people reading the news have no reason to register. The forum member count doesn't reflect the site's audience.

And 'Active users' means users currently online, right? In that case, 400 is a very big number. I've only ever seen 400 users simultaneously online in highly popular forums.

No, online users is a different number.
However, I am not certain how "active" is calculated.

This is what the admin page states:
Enter a number of days here that represents a threshold for 'active' members. If a user has visited the board within the past number of days you specify, they are considered 'active'.
The number entered is 30, as Korplem mentioned. So, us RD don't need to post to be counted as active, they need to be logged in and visit the forums or be logged in and visit any other page of RPGWatch

No, online users is a different number.
Aha, I can see now:

Currently Active Users: 224 (10 members and 214 guests)

The ratio of guests towards members is huge, and one can safely assume that even more people read the news without reading the forums.

Anyway, there's no point to guessing, I'm sure the site admin has the statistics and knows how many people visit the site per day on average. Those interested should just ask.

Well , rpgwatch to read the news , and rpgcodex for gentlemen quality discussions in the forums. It always been like this.
Also,you just cant compete with only one thumb button .

I really don't know where so many repulsive people came from to Rpg Codex… It's a real shame, such an active forum, but I wouldn't ever talk to them.

The codex's humor / politics may not be to everyone's tastes, (i.e., those of us who aren't 40 yo virgins living in our parent's basement) but there are some interesting threads over there… Game developers tend to post there a lot more often (Presumably because the forum is more active) . And there's some great threads such as in the Prisonscape subforum where an ex convict answers questions and clears up common misconceptions about what American prison is like vs. what we see in TV / movies.

Anyway, I do wish we could get RPG developers to post here more often. So everyone post your thoughts, so maybe more developers will think it is worth their time to register and answer our annoying questions. Also, we need more dev interviews!

We used to get a lot more devs. I think when we required logins to post on news most of them disappeared. I know some of them just lurked.

I don't know why we don't get more. Us old farts have more cash than the 12 year olds the dark and gritty mature games are aimed at.

Well , rpgwatch to read the news , and rpgcodex for gentlemen quality discussions in the forums. It always been like this.
Also,you just cant compete with only one thumb button .

I *do* like the various buttons on the Codex. I think they go a long way to making the forum better, and at the very least funnier. It's the little things.

RPGWatch for news, for sure. RPGWatch for discussion, too, and Codex for a bit deeper discussion, but only in spurts since the Codex also involves more skimming and filtering to get to the good stuff.

I like bouncing around both and pecking various threads. :)

problem with posting in a "friendly" place like this is that you feel like you're "at work"; you have to be careful not to offend anyone or to say something that goes against the status quo.

it's completely the opposite on the codex where you are encouraged to speak your true mind regardless of what it is or how "wrong" it may be. of course if you are a nutcase for real and you speak nutty things then first people shun you and you may eventually get banned, although codex bans are almost unheard of.

the main thing i want to communicate is that forums are an escape for a lot of people and less degree of thought police makes it so that more people end up using said forum as an outlet, which is why codex has more active community. when you feel like you can say whatever you want... then you end up participating.

i don't feel like i can say whatever i want here.

aweigh, What is it that you really would want to say on an RPG forum that would be offensive? It's a forum for video games, so there's no need to get offensive or nasty. And unless you're posting hatred or being very disrespectful and nasty you can say whatever you like here as well.

The Codex's nastiness and disrespect in many cases is their sick form of humor, IMO. So it is two different forum cultures (obviously.)

"encouraged to speak your true mind" is basically this:

We're not coop here. We think before speak.

Immaturity is really source of the the need to post nasty. That' why I prefer the more mature discussions here, until a troll gets under my skin, then all bets are off. But let's be honest, adult gamers include a lot of stunted man-children….

Back
Top Bottom