ELEX - 50% off on Steam

Yeah. The writing is more comical than good, the controls are a bit wonky, the animations are…funny, the UI is made for controllers and not M&K, the quests are silly and the skills are foggy. But I'm having a blast!

I thought most of the quests in ELEX were very well done. A lot better than the average RPG at least. Many of them have multiple solutions, and the outcome of some quests will affect what you can do in others.

I'm currently playing Mass Effect: Andromeda, and the quests in that game are extremely generic by comparison. Almost none of them have more than 1 solution, and they're all completely self-contained.

Lol, I'm IT for a huge corporation and so I get a lot of pc parts from coworkers when their machines break. It's like nut, can you fix this for me? If not, could you ecycle it, etc. :D

Haha, do they call you nut at the office ? :D

I thought most of the quests in ELEX were very well done. A lot better than the average RPG at least. Many of them have multiple solutions, and the outcome of some quests will affect what you can do in others.

I'm currently playing Mass Effect: Andromeda, and the quests in that game are extremely generic by comparison. Almost none of them have more than 1 solution, and they're all completely self-contained.

I can agree that they're generally well done, it's probably more that I find the writing a bit off that makes them silly to me. I haven't seen much C&C really, but I'm just starting out so that's not surprising. And different quest solutions are always good, I do however often feel that the damn guy I'm playing never has an answer that matches what I actually think, so I'll have to roleplay someone a lot more cynical than myself. I also reload sometimes because I pick an answer that sounds closest to what I think, but when Jax delivers the answer it's not at all what I meant. He doesn't feel like a very likeable guy, more like some bully, and it's really hard to make him come off as somewhat sympathetic.

Again, don't get me wrong, I freaking love the game, but that doesn't mean there aren't areas that couldn't be improved at least in my personal opinion.

There are a great deal of choices and consequences in Elex, anyone that played more than a few hours will know that as factual. Some of them may and are trivial, many of them are far reaching and are not trivial at all. It added quite a lot of value to the game, in my opinion.

I can agree that they're generally well done, it's probably more that I find the writing a bit off that makes them silly to me. I haven't seen much C&C really, but I'm just starting out so that's not surprising. And different quest solutions are always good, I do however often feel that the damn guy I'm playing never has an answer that matches what I actually think, so I'll have to roleplay someone a lot more cynical than myself. I also reload sometimes because I pick an answer that sounds closest to what I think, but when Jax delivers the answer it's not at all what I meant. He doesn't feel like a very likeable guy, more like some bully, and it's really hard to make him come off as somewhat sympathetic.

Keep in mind that you're a former Alb who is breaking his addiction to ELEX, and the Albs are completely emotionless. They're not the sympathetic type, and they are bullies. I would have been disappointed if Jax wasn't at least somewhat like that because it wouldn't make much sense otherwise. I wouldn't expect him to instantly transition into some caring hero.

That said, he's not like that through the entire game, and you'll eventually develop relationships that allow you to show other sides of him.

As far as the dialogue responses go, yeah, I agree they didn't always have the result I was expecting. I've had that issue with quite a few RPGs though.

Keep in mind that you're a former Alb who is breaking his addiction to ELEX, and the Albs are completely emotionless. They're not the sympathetic type, and they are bullies. I would have been disappointed if Jax wasn't at least somewhat like that because it wouldn't make much sense otherwise. I wouldn't expect him to instantly transition into some caring hero.

You're absolutely right, and I do realize that's the case so Outs accepted the fact Jax is not the friendliest guy. When given the choice I always prefer it when a game doesn't have a set protagonist, but it's not a deal breaker. I would actually be far worse if it was possible to play Jax like some kind of saint. I guess I'm just used to playing the good guy so it will take a while to adapt.

My biggest dilemma is what faction to join, and I love the fact that it's actually a choice I have to make instead of just joining and later becoming the master of all of them. Wouldn't it be kind of silly if you could? 😉

Regarding C&C, if you really care about roleplaying and want an ending that suits you, monitor your consumption of elex and watch your quest behavior and dialogue choices. The ending is completely determined by your coldness level.

Regarding C&C, if you really care about roleplaying and want an ending that suits you, monitor your consumption of elex and watch your quest behavior and dialogue choices. The ending is completely determined by your coldness level.

Ok. I'm still not sure exactly what the coldness level is. I'm assuming it's a measure of how emotional you are? If you act emotional it decreases and if you act pragmatically it increases? But I see no logic in the way coldness increases or decreases through dialogue, sometimes it behaves the opposite way of what I thought it would.

Have I gotten it wrong? I'm planning on going low coldness and probably joining the berzerkers, haven't quite decided yet though.

Edit: Perhaps it's explained better later in the game and it that case you don't have to spoil me, but if it isn't I'd be happy to get an explanation.

Back
Top Bottom