What happened to Bloodlines 2? by Chris Avellone - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » What happened to Bloodlines 2? by Chris Avellone

Default What happened to Bloodlines 2? by Chris Avellone

July 17th, 2021, 01:31
An interesting read:

https://chrisavellone.medium.com/wha…2-1ad557bf2284

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

July 17th, 2021, 02:17
To save people time: as far as what's going on with the game now, or has been going on with the game over the past year+, the answer is he doesn't know. At all.

He does address his own invovlement (wrote for the game during the 2 year span of his contract and they didn't use any of it)

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

July 17th, 2021, 02:24
That's the same thing I say to fellow gamer's who ask that question.
SO: What's happening with Bloodlines 2?

Answer: I have no fucking idea.
It's a shame all the writing and work both he and Brain did will not be used.
To explain my contract: I worked on Bloodlines 2 for almost 2 and a half years, from 2016 to mid-2018, then my contract came to an end. They didn’t use anything I wrote during that time, which was a number of major characters and side missions, check my LinkedIn. This made me sad, but it’s not my choice. The whole experience was like the last five minutes of Barton Fink (not the beach scene, the scene before it, know-it-all), but stretched out over 2 and a half years. Even if I had known all that work was useless, I’d have written anyway, even though its part of your life you don’t get back, so you can’t really dwell on it too much. I’ve been on projects where a LOT more got thrown away… as Bloodlines 2 proved for almost everyone on it in the end, apparently.
Anyway all I really know is Hardsuit lost the IP and contract. Paradox was supposed to announce what studio took over but haven't, and most of the staff have been fired.

Pardox claims the game isn't dead or cancelled but you never know.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)

July 17th, 2021, 03:24
If there's a buck to be made, people will find a way. In this case, it simply may take a bit longer than usual.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

July 17th, 2021, 04:55
Hmmm. In another one of his recent posts he links to some comments made by another game reporter about the sexual assault allegations: https://jeffdjohnson.medium.com/beyo…g-39d05699f2f4.

It does seem like the tide is turning a bit for Chris.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

July 17th, 2021, 05:06
Yeah that was a news-bit that was posted a week or more back before the more sensitive members got it moved to the PR section. You can discus that hot topic there.

Link -https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47947
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)

July 17th, 2021, 19:52
All that just to say he has "no fucking idea"?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

July 17th, 2021, 23:42
I still don't believe that he is 'absolved' or innocent. Women ALWAYS get trashed for daring to accuse a man - especially in the rampantly misogynistic game industry (and many on this site lean that way, proven many times), and there were multiple women. He is not a rapist (that we know), but has clearly used his position to leverage power for non-consensual touching.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

July 21st, 2021, 00:33
Thanks for sharing - I didn't know he has a webpage some kind of - I don't know what medium is. I'm glad I was right about my feeling about his personal story, because I'm sorry but the original story felt a bit off, and to read it from him directly is so strange, because nobody does that in gaming industry, because to do it you need to be prepared to defend yourself I guess.
It sucks loosing such good RPG writer and game designer like he is.
And it sucks that the Bloodlines 2 ended up like this even more now when I know that he was willing to work on that sequel. It seems like there is such fight over every good RPG like that to be released, and if it is, it does have some "upgrades" like absence of saves or absence of 3rd person view (I know I'm biased), which will make it less acceptable for a lot of players in the target audience, so it will make less money, so the next game will not be RPG like that…

Dafela

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » What happened to Bloodlines 2? by Chris Avellone