SLI a GTX 970 or...?

Personally, I would save my money, as I think we're in a bit of a transitional stage, right now. The new generation of 4K HDR monitors are still in their early days, and the current generation of GPUs aren't really up to the task of driving them. I would muddle through for another year or two, until a really night and day upgrade can be made. Just my 2c.

Personally, I would save my money, as I think we're in a bit of a transitional stage, right now. The new generation of 4K HDR monitors are still in their early days, and the current generation of GPUs aren't really up to the task of driving them. I would muddle through for another year or two, until a really night and day upgrade can be made. Just my 2c.

Eh, I might not live another 2 years. :D But thank you for your 2 cents.

My thinking is that I have the 4K TV already, with no sign of becoming very rich in the near future to afford all new stuff, and to play ELEX in 4K, all I have to do is upgrade to a 1070/1080. So eh, I'm in a bit of a different situation than most in that regard. But I appreciate what you're getting at.

I also enjoy the side benefits of these slight upgrades as I can play Skyrim, Morrowind, Oblivion and more in 4K with even more mods and longer view distances. Yes, I'm crazy like that to where that is a good benefit to me. :lol:

Selling the tv isn’t a bad idea assuming you have another to actually watch tv on.:lol:

A 1440p monitor would have several advantages such as greatly reduced input lag, decreased graphics demands, higher refresh rate, being able to run at native resolution of the display will produce the best picture and if you can find an HDR monitor you’ll find that has a much bigger impact than 4K does. You’d need games that have hdr though.

As someone that’s gamed on projector, 4K tv and monitors I’d have say the monitor provides the best experience, but honestly none of them are bad.

Not sure how big the tv is but $600 sounds like wishful thinking. I just bought a 50” 4k tv with true hdr for $600.

Selling the tv isn’t a bad idea assuming you have another to actually watch tv on.:lol:

A 1440p monitor would have several advantages such as greatly reduced input lag, decreased graphics demands, higher refresh rate, being able to run at native resolution of the display will produce the best picture and if you can find an HDR monitor you’ll find that has a much bigger impact than 4K does. You’d need games that have hdr though.

As someone that’s gamed on projector, 4K tv and monitors I’d have say the monitor provides the best experience, but honestly none of them are bad.

Not sure how big the tv is but $600 sounds like wishful thinking. I just bought a 50” 4k tv with true hdr for $600.

$600 might be wishful thinking, true. I'm keeping it for now anyway as the 1440p monitors I've seen are too small for me. I'm probably spoiled by this TV. :)

But in any event, selling my GTX 970 now, so I'm accepting offers on it. If you'd like just message me with your offer. I have a lot of experience with shipping and dealing online so if you're reading this and are interested, you are in good hands.

This makes sense on some levels. But one thing I have noticed in buying both computers and video cards every other year for the last decade, and being more conservative before that, is that almost any time you buy something it quickly becomes obsolete. I remember on forums people saying - no just wait 6months and get this. Well guess what = you wait and get THAT item and then a month later its obsolete.

My feeling is look around and get the best you can afford at the time. If there is some big pending release on a new item then consider the date and what that new release might offer and perhaps wait then (I did that once or twice) but waiting a long time tends to be rather fruitless in my own experience.

I don't really try for the best ever. Why? Nothing is made for it. What I do is take one or two steps down from the top end. That seems to be the sweet spot for me. Money isn't ever an issue, but I don't like to just spend it for no solid purpose. I basically need stuff that will run the newest rpgs. My 1080 will likely run rpgs for the next 5 years at near ultra on everything. I'll buy a new card before that time frame runs out, so this was the card/pc for me. I also buy graphics card first when purchasing a pc. Most of the rest of the components don't come near being obsolete so fast.

This makes sense on some levels. But one thing I have noticed in buying both computers and video cards every other year for the last decade, and being more conservative before that, is that almost any time you buy something it quickly becomes obsolete. I remember on forums people saying - no just wait 6months and get this. Well guess what = you wait and get THAT item and then a month later its obsolete.

My feeling is look around and get the best you can afford at the time. If there is some big pending release on a new item then consider the date and what that new release might offer and perhaps wait then (I did that once or twice) but waiting a long time tends to be rather fruitless in my own experience.

I agree with this. :thumbsup:

Future-proofing to me usually just means get the best you can afford at the time, enjoy it, in a few years upgrade if you can.

I don't really try for the best ever. Why? Nothing is made for it. What I do is take one or two steps down from the top end. That seems to be the sweet spot for me. Money isn't ever an issue, but I don't like to just spend it for no solid purpose. I basically need stuff that will run the newest rpgs. My 1080 will likely run rpgs for the next 5 years at near ultra on everything. I'll buy a new card before that time frame runs out, so this was the card/pc for me. I also buy graphics card first when purchasing a pc. Most of the rest of the components don't come near being obsolete so fast.

True. I did get the GTX 970 last year, though, and already it's becoming obsolete. It happens fast. But my technique would be similar if money wasn't a problem. I try and buy the best one I can afford, maybe not absolute top level like you say but a step or two down, and then you're good for a couple years at high quality settings.

I really don't play many new games anyway, at least not ultra graphically demanding ones. ELEX and the rare "big" RPGs for me being the exceptions (i.e. Elder Scrolls, maybe a new Fallout or some interesting RPG that I want to see with all the shiny graphics features turned on. :) )

True. I did get the GTX 970 last year, though, and already it's becoming obsolete. It happens fast.

Well, you have to consider the 1070 already became available in June 2016 and your gtx 970 was actually released in sept 2014. So there is actually quite a time span in between them. ^^

In this case I'd also have waited for the new graphics cards to release. Well actually I did wait for them to release. :D

That said, your gtx 970 is still not obsolete. Your personal requirements just drastically increased. ^^

Right. The 970 was all I could afford at the time though. Had to maintain a budget when building the entire PC. Waiting wouldn't have changed anything.

And my requirements only increased because I have this big 4K TV sitting here. Might as well try and use it, right?

So the 1070 Ti tests have been released and as expected it's between the 1070 and the 1080.

If overclocked it can be better than a not-overcklocked 1080, so that's how close they are to each other.

So which card to pick is probably depending on pricing.

Can it be overclocked? I thought it's locked.

This was just a false rumor. It can be overclocked.
However, manufacturers are not allowed to sell factory overclocked versions. You have to overclock them yourself.

This generation is already 18 months old. When is the next one coming?

This generation is already 18 months old. When is the next one coming?

Could be a while? AMD only just released the Vega cards, Nvidia has released more cards than usual to beat the competition at all price points. The new upgraded consoles can't keep up with nvidias high end.

Meanwhile, I think Nvidias starting to focus more on GPUs driving real cars and "deep" learning AI stuff with their next Volta line of cards.

However, I think they can quite easily release a new line of cards with the expected performance improvements and their business model has been working very well and has become fairly predictable.

We can assume the 1170 will perform the same as the 1080ti because the 1070 performs the same as the 980ti. They'll release their 1180, beat everything. 1170 to keep the old high end and the price will be exactly where the 1080ti was at when supply dries up. Then the onslaught of crappy midrange cards. All with ti or extra ram versions for upselling. After some time, the 1180ti again. Maybe they'll slip a Titan in before that to catch the super high price payers.

It's doable, its worked before, it's what people expect... Could easily happen sooner than later. Yet why not hold onto their ace until AMD releases something to destroy?

Plus, turning these new gpus into gaming cards could hurt their reputation as an AI processor.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

Could be a while? AMD only just released the Vega cards, Nvidia has released more cards than usual to beat the competition at all price points. The new upgraded consoles can't keep up with nvidias high end.
That's what I thought. A simple refresh with some tuning as needed makes a lot of sense. When do you expect 1160 and 1170?

Thinking of 1440p; it is kind of funny that the monitor is nearly 1/2 the price as the gpu. I know you are using a tv which isn't the same deal (I personally would never game on a tv but that is just myself; though I do use an xbox one as a 4k blu ray player (I have never used it for gaming)). Personally I've been eyeing the dells 25 inch (which is 1440p) to replace my 27 inch monitors. As I've said before 4k has no value but hdr rocks :)

Isn't it weird that Dell, of all companies, makes some of the best monitors out there for the price? They're always in the top 10's. I work at a company that has probably 14,000 Dell computers and they're basically junk. Bad drivers, poor components, etc.

I use some Dell whatever generic laptop at work - biggest junk I haven't seen in my life. Dunno why the company bought these. Smartcard reader fails constantly (you can google for that problem with Dell laptops and they never sorted it out), at least 20% of laptops we got had faulty TPM chip on the motherboard, display breaks into lines and dots when on docking, VGA port doesn't have screwholes so the cable falls out during presentations, etc etc, horrible.
Okay, I've seen a certain Toshiba laptop I could suggest only to my worst enemy, but still, I'd never ever trust Dell.

However, a friend of mine is in videowalls business and uses some beefy Dell which is quite nice and doesn't have problems I've experienced. Perhaps the problem is only with certain product series?

Back
Top Bottom