Today is ...

It's 28th in Australia and category 4 cyclone debbie is ever so close to QLD residents :( I hope Corwin (I think he's in QLD) and others who live around the area are all safe…

How is it down under now?

pibbur who wonders if said isle is (partially) really down under (water).

… is the day our dear Dane came back.

At the current posting rate for the two of us he will pass my number of posts by the end of May :)

pibbur who is ok with that.

Yep, I was thinking he'd have me by October :D

With your current activity levels, I'm more likely to fall asleep at the keyboard :(

... 1st of april, and as usual wikipedia has several humourous/weird looking links to articles under the "Did You Know" section. Worth taking a look at.

pibbur who didn't know that the white throated honeyeater for a time was considered gay, but not anymore. And that Robin Hood sued the US.

… a day away from home, as we (me and my colleagues) are having a 2 day meeting at Haringasete, a resort 2 hours driving from Bergen. I have a hut all to myself. 400 years old. Which means that floor - ceiling distance is around 175-180 cm. Which means that at 191 I don't quite fit in. Which means a lot of headbanging.

Now, this could be a problem, but fortunately my skull has been hardened after 40+ years of close encounters with doorways and entrances to buses and trains and planes. Cars. Caves. So, except from 5 seconds of excruciating pain, there will (most likely) be no lasting impressions.

It's also the day when:

0421 - Roman emperor Theodosius ver 2.0 marries queen wannabe Aelia Eudocia. Unlike your average roman emperor this one lives for 29 more years. He died in 450 of (for emperors) unnatural causes (by accidently falling off a horse). He was succeeded by his sister, Pulcheria (am I the only one thinking of graves and undead here? Probably), who reigned for a less controversially long period of 3 years. Cause of death: unknown (to me).

0879 – Pope John VIII recognizes the, to the caltholic church, hidden and overlooked Duchy of Croatia.

1420 – Troops of the Council of Venice pwns the Patrians del Friuli, whoever they were. Templars? Illuminati? Some Japanese company?

1654 – Louis (release 14) is crowned King of France. A position he keeps until 1715. (Seems that in general, kings tend to last longer than emperors). Some people liked him, others did not, but everybodt seems to agree on his vanity: "There was nothing he liked so much as flattery, or, to put it more plainly, adulation; the coarser and clumsier it was, the more he relished it." I refuse to say which world leading politician wannabe (not wannabe?) I'm thinking of.

1776 - United States Declaration of Independence runner up.

1788 – French Revolution: Day of the Tiles: Civilians in Grenoble toss things found on roofs down upon royal troops.

1893 – Gandhi commits his first act of civil disobedience.

1899 – Carrie Nation is busy destroying the inventory of a saloon.

1905 – NORWAY'S PARLIAMENT DISSOLVES ITS UNION WITH SWEDEN.

1965 – The Supreme Court of the United States hands down its decision in Griswold v. Connecticut, prohibiting the states from criminalizing the use of contraception by married couples. !

1982 – Priscilla Presley opens Graceland (bathroom excluded) to the public.

Notable first time appearances:
-156 - Emperor Wu of Han (d. 87 BC)
0939 – Emperor Taizong of Song (d. 997)
1003 – Emperor Jingzong of Western Xia (d. 1048)
1082 – Emperor Huizong of China (d. 1135)
1929 - Vatican City
1938 - DC-4E
1940 – Tom Jones (still alive and dancing)
1958 – Prince (d. 2016)
1959 - Mike Pence (still alive and waiting)
1976 – Necro. Huh?

And of course:
1921 – Myrtle Edwards
1945 – John Olsen
1964 – Gia Carides
1977 – Preston Campbell
1979 – Anna Torv
1982 – Kurt Gidley
1989 – Mitch Robinson
1990 – Iggy Azalea
1991 – Gary Rohan

Notable last time appearances:
1899 - Dobson's Saloon, Kiowa, Kansas.
1905 - Norway@Sweden.
1955 – Lux Radio Theatre

pibbur who doesn't know how many pibburs there are on the net.

Last edited:
13th of June, 1970 – "The Long and Winding Road" becomes The Beatles' last U.S. number one song.

... exactly 80 years since the first publication of "The Hobbit".

And as they say, the rest is history. Several movies. Music. And numerous games.

pibbur whose den in some ways may be similar to a hole, filled with ... things and perhaps not as clean as it should be. But definitely comfortable. And above ground.

Happy yesterbirthday.

pibbur who doesn't live in Ohio and *looks behind his computers* doesn't know the age of dirt (dust?).

Happy belated birthday, Hastar !

beldurax (who has been to Ohio once in his life, and rather enjoyed it, except for Cleveland)

the day when in 1942 Anne Frank started her diary (according to Wikipedia).

pibbur who won't tell any jokes in this post

The number 42 is strong with you today.

Did you realise, that Pibbur Who rhymes with 42!! :D

Back
Top Bottom