2012 - the year the world ends - for the audio CD ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello, everyone,

I've seen a report indicating hat 2012 might or even will be the last year major record companies will use the Audio CD format - after that, everything will be in digital format, the report says.

The report links to an English-language article which is this one : http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=46980_0_2_0_C

I wonder what they are thinking. especially lovers of classical, orchestral music won't easily switch to digital only, I ssume.

Plus, with this move thy are alienating everyone who just doesn't belong to the "digital generation".

Let the hoarding begin ! ;)

Alrik

There are still stores that sell LP's and new albums coming out in LP. So I think the CD will take some time to die too.

most of the bands and artists i support and buy music from i do it in either digital form or fancy limited non-jewel case packaging. i can't tell you the last time i purchased a cd in a jewel case that wasn't a used one from ebay, or local record shop and even those two have been awhile. indie (not the type of music) artists and labels have for years run on a different model, some not always successfully. most bands even large ones make most of their money on touring so even when they make these special "collectors editions" at a high cost they usually do it knowing they have a cadre of loyal fans who will eat the shit up and treasure more than the latest top 40 drink coaster.

I don't understand how people who listen to classical music will have a problem. The only music I listen to is Japanese rock and pop, classical, and a little bit of Weird Al and it is all on my computer or media player. I haven't listened to a cd for 10 years and cassettes for about 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom