Piranha Bytes - Facts and Information about the new Project @ World of Risen

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
World of Risen has collected quite a few facts about Piranha Bytes' new project:

Facts and information

Production information

• Jenny confirmed that Piranha Bytes are working on a new project!
  • Work on the new project started in early 2014. (Most likely the pre-production, brainstorming part)
  • The new project will most likely be a DX11 one
  • Björn Pankratz is the Project Manager. He has also been PM for Gothic II: Night of the Raven add-on, Risen 2 (together with Mike Hoge) and Risen 3.
  • Mike Hoge (PM for Gothic 1 - Risen 2) will not be involved with the new project, and neither will be Mattias Filler, Kai Rosenkranz or Ralf Marczinzik. (see current and past members of Piranha Bytes)
  • There will be a different composere than Risen 3.
  • The music will be darker.
  • No recycled assets will be used from previous games, like Risen 3 used from Risen 2.
  • The graphical design will still be stylized/a bit cartoonish, but in a darker, less colourful, more adult way.
Technical information

• Platform: *SPECULATION* The project will be developed for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
  • Engine: The same in-house engine used by Piranha Bytes since Risen 1, updated to the present technology (i.e. DX11).
Gameplay information

Story & setting

• The new game will have a happier/more satisfactory ending than Risen 3.
  • The game will be structured into chapters.
  • Playing with a party of NPCs will be optional as a rule.
  • Different kinds of environment, though the diversity of which remains be seen.
  • The player will interact with at least on non-human species.
  • Apparently there will be a big unitary landmass rather than a fragmented map.
  • The game will feature relatively small settlements, none the size of Khorinis (Gothic 2), but larger than the mage settlement in Risen 3.
  • There will be no ships.

Activities

• The climbing will again be scripted.
  • There will be swimming.
  • There will be no Quick Time Events!
  • The inventory will again be unlimited.
  • More NPCs will be killable in the new project, not just quest-related kills.
  • There will be teachers and a crafting system which allows the player to craft more than just weapons.
  • There will be different factions granting special abilities and weapon skills upon joining them.
  • The hero will be able to sleep.
  • The inventory will be redesigned.

Combat

• There will be difficulty level from which the player can choose.
More information.

DeepSilver's marketing department is enjoying their 2004 bubble.

Don't be so sure, while there is 99% probability that the publisher is DS, it's not confirmed and it leaves those 1% to speculate.
I for one would be more happy if the publisher is someone else. Not just because of crappy consoleports of R1 and R2 DS funded but also because of the stall of multicore patch. It was made by PB soon after the game release but the audience had to wait on it for weeks because DS somehow couldn't push it out faster. They did redeem themselves a bit because they also released a patch that fixes every single reported bug in R3 after a while (although there weren't many of bugs at all in the release version), but still.

While up there is a great known facts sumup since the project is not even officially announced yet, there is no doubt the level of excitment will raise in a few months at Gamescom where we should see and learn all details about the new game. Here, of course. On sites like IGN and Gamespot... I don't think we'll be reading more than a few lines about it.

I haven't played risen 3 and risen 2 I never got into.

I did play the first one but I heard the other 2 were not the same.

Good decision on the unlimited inventory.

I'm confused... wasn't the inventory unlimited in R1 through R3? I can't exactly remember anymore with R1 and R2. But with R3 I'm fairly certain I never had to worry about space limits.

Yeah, they're just keeping it unlimited. That's why it says "again". I'm not really sure why they felt that was worth mentioning though.

I'm more concerned about the mention of "stylized" graphics.

What's new? - Gothic was comic-art, too.

Actually back in 2001, Gothic 1 had awesome graphics and they felt very realistic, not stylized. It might look cartoony today, of course, compared to other way more realistic looking games that have come out in the meantime, but back in the day, Gothic 1 was almost sort of photorealistic looking (in a fantasy world "realistic" style). It never struck me as stylized.
The whole cartoony thing really took off with Risen 2, Disneyland/PotC pirates and the gnomes but all the games before that were leaning more towards non-stylized graphics. Or do I just have bad eyes? :)

@Moriendor

I agree. The cartoony graphics are a turn-off for these types of games where you want to immerse in a fantasy world. I felt the same disconnect going from Kings Quest 6 to Kings Quest 7 which was pure disney. The later final fantasies have failed for the same reason; they have always done there characters in the same art style but in higher fidelity it loses a lot in translation and they look fake and wrong. (as compared to when they were sprites)

I haven't played risen 3 and risen 2 I never got into.

I did play the first one but I heard the other 2 were not the same.

Give R3 a try; it's a very good game. R2 did not appeal to me either.

Give R3 a try; it's a very good game. R2 did not appeal to me either.

Really? If I put more than a day into a game then I will finish it no matter how bad it is. That is why I am very picky in the games I start. I loved Risen, but didn't get far in the second one. For this reason I have stayed away from Risen 3...Maybe I should pick it up.

I am though very excited to see what they are working on.

I lost interest at:

"Engine: The same in-house engine used by Piranha Bytes since Risen 1"

Really? If I put more than a day into a game then I will finish it no matter how bad it is. That is why I am very picky in the games I start. I loved Risen, but didn't get far in the second one. For this reason I have stayed away from Risen 3…Maybe I should pick it up.

I am though very excited to see what they are working on.

Hey look we had the same opinion on this:)

Sorry, but after the many many disasters from anyone connected to the "Gothic-folks" I pass. Every single company that grew out of the Gothic game series produced one disaster after another.

I pass.

I'm sceptical, but it's PB - so I'm all but certain to buy it eventually.

I loathe cartoon art styles, and when people say they're aiming for "not quite cartoon" - it's like saying a potentially attractive girl smells "not quite like shit".

It doesn't get me all excited :)

Back
Top Bottom