Games recommended for Beginners/Newbies to the RPG genre ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello everyone,

I'm actually a bit disappointed that this tweet question from Larian was not put onto the front page of RPGWatch :

Is there a game you recommend to beginner's/first timers to get them into gaming or PC gaming in particular?

Answers are here : https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/897535386146095104

Personally, I find this question to be *very* important, because a genre only lives as long as people are drawn into it.

The answers linked above show the typical mix of trolling and serious answers, by the way. This way it has become very hard to distinguish between someone's seriousness and simple trolling these days. Sad.

Now, the question to you (and not only you is meant, but also everybody else) :
What games would you recommend Newbies and Beginners into the RPG genre ?

Me, I still have to make up my mind over that.

Alrik

I know that many people who never played a crpg loved Skyrim. Many people on RPGWatch are not fans of Skyrim but it made a lot of new crpg's.

For people that play games like Dungeons and Dragons I recommend Baldur's Gate. Back in the day I told everyone about the Might and Magic games. A lot of my friends got hooked on Heroes of Might and Magic 2&3. They were not big crpg's.

I can't care less about social networks and questions posted on social networks.

Currently a game I'd recommend to a person who never saw any RPG in their life:
South Park: The Stick of Truth.
Plenty of humor, not very complex stats/skills, not too huge that risks being left unfinished, fun.

I can't agree with Hastar. I mean, I can't recommend any openworld as a starting point, Skyrim included.

Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and Ember come to mind. Ember being a sort of Baldur's Gate-lite RPG, very charming and simple to play. But not overly simple that it's boring or childish, either.

I'd say this is hugely affected by the background they come from.
Are they a puzzle gamer expanding? Grimlock 2.
Are they a sims player? Skyrim
Are they a hidden object lover? King's Quest maybe.
Are they a graphics whore? Witcher 3/Skyrim/.
Are they lovers of horror? 7 Days to Die or State of Decay, perhaps.
Are they new to pcs and computing in general? Avernum. Let them play the eyesores early so they won't be horrified by the graphics :)
Are they Alrik? SWTOR and Drakensang…only :D
Do they love anime? Trails in the Sky maybe.

If I just had to pick one, maybe Venetica? I seemed to think it held your hand just enough when I played it.

Are they a sims player? Skyrim
You crazy? I'm a sims player and I can't stand Skyrim (bugs). :D
I'd recommend Stardew Valley instead. Or Portia next year when it gets finished.

Are they a graphics whore? Witcher 3/Skyrim/
No openworlds to beginners please. Sadly, a graphics whore RPG beginner won't find eyecandy nonopenworlds. At least nothing comes to mind. Why is that?

Do they love anime? Trails in the Sky maybe.
No and no again. TitS is not a title for beginners.
Go for Tales of Berseria or Valkyria Chronicles instead.

Are they Alrik? SWTOR and Drakensang…only :D
Drakensang is not a game for beginners. And SWTOR needs to die miserably.

Are they new to pcs and computing in general? Avernum. Let them play the eyesores early so they won't be horrified by the graphics :)
I have better suggestions. If you want to sour the milk, give them either Grimoire or Neo Scavenger.

Last edited:
I can't actually recommend Ember because I haven't tried it yet, but that one seems to have a newbie-friendly reputation. From the ones I played, Amalur would be the one I can recommend, although it got repetitive pretty fast. Or possibly Fable, that one is newbie-friendly too.

First timer?

I would probably recommend Mass Effect if you're into science fiction or Witcher 3 on easy difficulty if you're into fantasy.

Both are very accessible and very good examples of what the genre has to offer.

Obviously, it will depend on subjective preferences - but a first timer shouldn't have too many rigid ones.

If they're not into "dark stuff" - then maybe something like Fable or Jade Empire.

If it's more about classic isometric RPGs - then Sword Coast Legends would seem a nice easy-to-get-into example.

If it's more about immersion and simulation then Skyrim and Fallout 4 are great.

Diablo 3 is also bound to get pretty much anyone with an open mind excited about the prospect of loot and progression.

First timer?

I would probably recommend Mass Effect if you're into science fiction or Witcher 3 on easy difficulty if you're into fantasy.

Both are very accessible and very good examples of what the genre has to offer.

Obviously, it will depend on subjective preferences - but a first timer shouldn't have too many rigid ones.

If they're not into "dark stuff" - then maybe something like Fable or Jade Empire.

If it's more about classic isometric RPGs - then Sword Coast Legends would seem a nice easy-to-get-into example.

If it's more about immersion and simulation then Skyrim and Fallout 4 are great.

Diablo 3 is also bound to get pretty much anyone with an open mind excited about the prospect of loot and progression.

I think this is pretty much spot on, except i've never played Sword Coast Legends. Any good?

Sword Coast Legends seems alright. The purist nerd in me says it's not deep enough to invest too much, but for a beginner I'd say it would be passable, i.e. not too complex.

What about Pillars of Eternity on Story Mode? Doesn't seem all that interesting to me but for beginners to isometric RPGs it could be of interest.

It depends. Are they looking for a rather strategic approach? Then I'd recommend Divinity: Original Sin or Dragon Age: Origins. If they're rather new to gaming at all, I might go for something with a smaller skilltree, like Pillars of Eternity. If they prefer action, I'd rather say The Witcher series, Skyrim or Fallout: New Vegas.

It depends. Are they looking for a rather strategic approach? Then I'd recommend Divinity: Original Sin or Dragon Age: Origins. If they're rather new to gaming at all, I might go for something with a smaller skilltree, like Pillars of Eternity. If they prefer action, I'd rather say The Witcher series, Skyrim or Fallout: New Vegas.

Yeah, it really matters what they have been playing before. I think that list is the best list so far.

If they're kids, Lego Star Wars is a good starting point, assuming they like either Lego or Star Wars.

Apart from that, it's a hard question.

I generally think that adults who'd want to play games already are - they've tried them but figure they aren't their kind of entertainment.

I know no one here's suggesting it, but I've read the concept elsewhere and I definitely disagree with anyone who'd say that phone games like Candy Crush are a gateway game to PC gaming - totally different people play those types of games. I've played it, but it's totally not for me, and I can't see people who like playing Candy Crush having a go at Skyrim and transitioning. There will obviously be some overlap, as with anything, but I don't see it as any kind of stepping stone.

In fact, keep the Candy Crush fans away from PC gaming. If people who are okay with spending money on microtransactions get into PC gaming we'll start getting microtransactions in full-price PC games, screwing with balance to make more mone... oh, crap!

Though perhaps a closer gateway game for adventure games would be Hidden Object games. I see a lot more overlap there.

I can't think of a gateway game to RPGs, maybe something like Mass Effect 2, where you don't have to think of changing loot or exploring and can just enjoy the story while fighting.

Well, without knowing anything about what the person really likes, I guess go for games with multiple play styles and see which parts they like. On the plus side, they've never played games before so we can give'm old (and thus cheap) stuff.

Give'm the original Deus Ex. Watch how they play. Are they paying attention to the story? Are they enjoying building up the character? Do they like being sneaky, aggressive, or do they bounce between the two? How much patience do they have? Are they getting into the details of how everything works or just slapping in what sounds fun?

There won't be any indicators of how they will like 4X games, building games, survival games, or sports games but that still leaves plenty of games to pick as their second game. That one they should like much better. (And they'll love the improved graphics.)

P.S. For pity's sake, don't give them Witcher 3! What are you thinking!? Every game they play after that will just be a pale imitation at best - they won't last another year! ;)

Witcher 3, like Skyrim except with a Geriatric scarred albino as your only choice of roleplaying. At least it has a story. Gramps chasing after his hottie great-great-adopted granddaughter. Ugh! :biggrin:

I am really surprised any female would give W3 a pass. It is so insulting to females that it offends even me...Okay, not really :D

If someone asked me this today I'd probably suggest Dark Souls III.

If they want something free I'd recommend Path of Exile.

If they wanted something to play with the family then For The King.

I wouldn't start them on something easy, I'd start them on something classic. Understanding the mechanics and stats, for me, is part of the joy of RPGs in the first place. The Baldurs Gate series remains my favourite so I'd just go straight in with that.

Back
Top Bottom