Gothic 3 Has anyone tried the Demon sword?

Surlent

On ghost mode
The strength requirement for this weapon is just silly. :p Has anyone cheated high strength or just bumped it to 666 and tried the demon sword? Does the sword look the same as it does when demons wield it? How about its range and speed?

I'm 38lv with 145 strength so I think I should still have chances to get 666 strength if I'd put every rest learning point in it, fought all rest arenas and lifted the weightstones. But then I was first going with more magic oriented character. I have now about 220 ancient knowledge and lots of Beliar's spells including the Demon summon. I'd be around level 90 and gone through most of the game if not completed it by then. Then again it would be nice goal for my character.

On the downside that Demon sword is probably a twohanded weapon, since it requires large weapons 3 skill. Meh, the basic halberd is already better than most other twohanded weapons just because its ludicrious range.

The weapons in the game are unfortunately rather unbalanced, and the stupid loot system (you find better equipment only as you've cleared out almost all the chests in the game) means that the best melee weapons that you will use for 90% of the game are the halberd (for range) and the self-forged bastard sword (quite decent damage and range for a 1h weapon). 2H axes are rather crap in spite of high damage (as they are slow and have short reach) and 2H swords are decent but slower than the bastard sword without having significantly better reach. Sharpening, self forging (not available for the halberd, but for the bastard sword) and blessing also serve to reduce the relative difference between weapons.

Havent tried the demon sword, and I think the effective level cap is around level 80. Assuming you have the quick learner (?) skill you can gain another 462 points of strength from levelling, plus a few from potions and lifting up millstones (I hope you saved your kings sorrel and dragonroot and read all the alchemy books you found so you can learn to brew perma potions), meaning you might just make it to 666. Practically I'd rather put points into mana regeneration or good bow skill (helps with trolls and ogres) than aim for a sword that you just might miss.

I think the Demon Sword (and even more so the flaming sword which I suspect only is supposed to be available via spell and thus bugged:p) should be kicked out of the game:)

I went through nearly the whole game with Flaming sword. The items/loot system in this game is one of this weaker points. You very rarely find an item that is better than the one you already have on you. Which means that one of pretty entertaining parts of RPGs is (nearly) left out off this game.

Where do you find the demon sword? I don't think I've seen it.

Well, I believe you can loot one from the conjured Demon in the Monastery.

Last edited:
Yeah, the only way I know how to get the Demon sword, is the Demon summon spell. Summon the demon and tell it go back, loot its corpse and you get the sword. It probably works with a scroll too.

Well I just got mana regen for my character and it kicks ass. To hell with that sword, literally. :)
As for the Flame sword, there must be something wrong about it. 120 Strength requirement and 1000 vendor price for about 100 damage is completely out of balance when compared to other swords. Even if it can't be sharpened. Maybe something like 200 Strength or then 10 000 price instead would be appropriate.

I strongly suspect that the flaming sword only should be available via the flaming sword spell. That would explain the low strength requirement to some extent, as spellchuckers arent supposed to be very athletic... Its a bit annoying that such a weapon makes it to the shops while nearly all the other high end weapons dont. There are 50 or so weapons in the game that you are very unlikely to ever come across, and I think it would be nice if at least a few of those showed up with the merchants.

The demon swords can't be obtained from summoned demons anymore I think. Every demon used to drop one previously, but now I no longer find such swords.

i believe you have to snatch it while they are in the 'throws' of death, i.e. before they completey crumble to the ground.

Back
Top Bottom