Gothic 3 Of Shy Deers And Memory Leaks

CarcusRex

Watchdog
How's this for a compound thread...

I was just about to give up searching for that confounded Shy Deer, when, what do you know, I just happened to stumble across him standing out 15 yards in front of me in all his glory. I immediately saved, then gave wild chase through the woods until I finally put him down with an arrow. Taking meat never felt so good. But when I went back to Chris there was no dialogue option to complete the quest. Did I miss something? Does he require more than one kill?

About the memory leak, it seems that after I play for a long time... 4-6 hours or so, all of a sudden the senery gets very "foggy" looking and the performance becomes absolutely atrocious. Is this some kind of memory leak? Anybody else experiencing this?

Thanks...

There's more than 1 shy deer to find!! :)

On your second question, are you using a dual core system?

fog is a part of the game if thats what you mean. it is a random weather event. one that probably occurs a tad too often in nordmar compound the level of difficulty that already exists there. but whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger right...

Does he require more than one kill?
When in doubt read your quest log ... there are 5 to kill. Since I'm not an archer / hunter that took me a bit, but it was a challenge.

Corwin, no, I'm not using Dual Core. I have AMD FX55, 1 gig mushkin 3700 ram, 6800gt.

Curious, I'm not sure if it's climatic fog... mainly because as my performance began to decline I reloaded the latest save game... and that save had perfect sunshine. but when it reloaded I had this strange lighting and "fogginess". Furthermore, when I went into my spellbook, the mouse was really slow. Hmmm??? But you could be right. I'll do some testing next time it happens.

txa, I know I checked the log but I'll be damned if I saw anything about number of kills. I'm pretty sure he just said "bring me the meat of the Shy Deer" But I'll recheck.

thanks all for the replies...

This is what my quest log says for this quest:

Me
I'll get you the deer meat.

Chris
Fine. Just be careful.

That's it! Somethings weird here. Are you playing the NA version like me? Maybe it's a different quest... is your quest for "5" shy deer from this Chris NPC? Do we have a bug here?

Scratching my head... Good thing it's not a major quest.

Check out how many days have passed. There is a bug which makes the days fly past and the screen looks like it's foggy etc when it happens!!

No bug. There are five deer to hunt. According to the game files, the relevant part of Chris' dialogue when starting the quest is this: "You bring me the meat of the shy deer over in the east, and I'll show you a few tricks." I can see, why this might be confusing, as it's just "deer" for both, singular and plural version of the word. In the German version, Chris is unambiguously talking of several deer though.

I was referring to the fog issue, not the deer one.

Hmmm... me thinks Corwin may be jesting me. But I may be wrong. If I am, this sounds like my problem. Where did you learn of this "foggy" bug?

Thanks for clearing that up, aldee.

I had had to reload and do the shy-deer quest over again, i got the five deer but then sat at a camp fire and roasted some meat, the shy deer meat goes in the inventory along with the normal aquired meat - the quest wouldn't complete (no further dialogue from Chris)
On the second try i made sure of the actual meat count and kept to the task and not roasting any meat and it worked o.k. ;)

I notice after a while, especially near water and in wide open green areas, the distance eventually cuts off at a point and appears clear as sky. I can walk up to it but I just either fall through the world or keep walking through clear sky with no ground or surroundings whatsoever. I'm buying a new $300.00 video card just for Gothic 3 tomorrow... if the game still messes up I'm going to assume my memory must be broken somehow. Too bad really good memory sticks cost well over $300.00 per 1Gig stick...

Hi there! First, the quest about shy deer is over when you see the message in green, and that happens when you kill all deers, no matter if their meat is roasted or not. Is only a matter of patience and seeking. Second, the weather have random behaviour, like in real life. And, when a game is reloaded, the weather changes. Just try it several times. Read you.

Yes you may see the green text but Chris will not teach you the hunting skills until you hand over the five raw meat of the shy-deer. If you roast em' you have no raw meat to give Chris.

Last edited:
There isn't really "shy deer meat". The shy deer drop normal raw meat, just like any other creatures.

Thats correct, all types of meat go into the inventory as raw meat and collated as one total. but should you roast any meat at all before returning to Chris, it will be the shy-deer meat (un-named of course per:quest) that will be roasted.:rolleyes:

for now i almost done with Myrtana and Nordmar and this quest is not filled yet and i intend to go back to Ardea land to complete it. as I remember i didn't kill all the shy deers, so after I'll find the last one(Somebody said that are 5 of them) I'll go to Chris. I'll keep you in touch.

If you killed all 5 of the Shy Deer but roasted their meat, then you can accomplish the task by killing some other animal for their meat like hares, wolves,... When you have 10 pieces of raw meat, go see chris and give him 5 pieces. That will accomplish the quest and chris will start teaching you.

It's done. All of the five shy deers are dead. The quest is complete and I could give Chris the "raw meat " he needed. And now, all he can teaches me is sneaking on wild animals, cause I've learned al the rest he teaches in the meantime. This can close the first part of this thread. Read you.

Back
Top Bottom