Underrail - Released

Only played for about 10h yet, but it looks like it's going to be one of the games I'll chose for the game of the year vote. :)

Best solution is to lower the resolution of the game. I play on 900p

Personally I don't like the unsharpness of using a non-native solution for the monitor.

And for me personally 1080p works perfectly fine with large fonts. But it's also dependent on the size of the screen of course. I got the 1080p on a 27 inch screen.
If you got that on like 21 inch...yeah, might be a little critical...

Only played for about 10h yet, but it looks like it's going to be one of the games I'll chose for the game of the year vote. :)

Personally I don't like the unsharpness of using a non-native solution for the monitor.

And for me personally 1080p works perfectly fine with large fonts. But it's also dependent on the size of the screen of course. I got the 1080p on a 27 inch screen.
If you got that on like 21 inch…yeah, might be a little critical…
Yes, I got a 22" monitor and 1080p with large fonts is playable but not comfortable.

In a video I have seen before when I studied the character system it was mentioned that the best items aren't found but crafted.

What are your impressions about that so far? While I raised 3 crafting skills, I didn't craft a thing yet. Could have crafted some leather armor, but I always already found better one. Could have crafted ammo maybe…but I am not using a gun. And it doesn't seem like you can't craft crossbow bolts. In fact I am wondering where I got my next bolts from as there are only ~200 Bolts left in the shop.

Btw: I also like the difficulty which is rather challenging on hard. And I love the unique XP system, where you only get XP from quests and finding oddities.

You can craft bolts and crossbows. Basically anything you see in the game you can craft (expect items needed for lockpicking and hacking). I have not done much crafting because I didn't start with points into it and started slowly raising it afterwards. Mostly so I can break down items so they weight less. It is a bit complicated and UI does not help.

So far I didn't need it much, I just buy traps and grenades I use and buy new crossbows and special bolts.

I play on normal, game is plenty hard for my stealth/crossbow guy on normal. I might try hard for my 2nd play with a stronger build.

Best solution is to lower the resolution of the game. I play on 900p

I agree. I'm actually playing at 1280x800

I find that everything just seems a little too small at the native resolution of 1920x1200 on my 24" monitor. Not just the font but the details in the environment too. It sucks that you lose some sharpness by lowering the res, but I quickly got tired of squinting at everything, and I felt disconnected by how zoomed-out the view was.

I agree. I'm actually playing at 1280x800

I find that everything just seems a little too small at the native resolution of 1920x1200 on my 24" monitor. Not just the font but the details in the environment too. It sucks that you lose some sharpness by lowering the res, but I quickly got tired of squinting at everything, and I felt disconnected by how zoomed-out the view was.
I noticed a huge drop in sharpness on 720p but it is ok on 900p

This was my reasoning behind a fighter character. Figured min/max is the way to go, so I went with

8 STR (enough for Sledge)
9 DEX 9 AGI (did like I do in FO, hoping there's a way to permanently raise stats by one)
5 CON (left it at base)
3 PER (Seemed a dump stat for a fighter)
3 INT (ditto, I'm overflowing with skill points even with minimum INT)
3 WIL (I hope there is mind immunity in this game)

… and ended up a brute warrior. I usually pummel any threat in front of me, we will have to see how that goes. For skills I took MELEE, EVASION, DODGE, LOCKPICKING, TRAPS, PERSUASION, INTIMIDATION, MERCANTILE. So I only didn't take the science and psi disciplines

Earlier in this thread I said this one slipped under my radar so I went to buy it.

Turns out, I already own it. How old am I?:lol:

I just wanted to say this game is phenomenal....so many ways to make it ahead...I have a PSI based character with some gun and lockpicking/hacking abilities...seems pretty good.

Really feels nice and old school...having a lot of fun.

Personally I prefer GOG for classic re-releases, steam for everything else that's new and getting frequent updates... Overall, GOG has been much better to me as a customer. I got like 10 free classic games off them

This was my reasoning behind a fighter character. Figured min/max is the way to go, so I went with

8 STR (enough for Sledge)
9 DEX 9 AGI (did like I do in FO, hoping there's a way to permanently raise stats by one)
5 CON (left it at base)
3 PER (Seemed a dump stat for a fighter)
3 INT (ditto, I'm overflowing with skill points even with minimum INT)
3 WIL (I hope there is mind immunity in this game)

… and ended up a brute warrior. I usually pummel any threat in front of me, we will have to see how that goes. For skills I took MELEE, EVASION, DODGE, LOCKPICKING, TRAPS, PERSUASION, INTIMIDATION, MERCANTILE. So I only didn't take the science and psi disciplines
Khm, this is not going to work :D
But I let you figure this out on your own :D

Haha :D

Earlier in this thread I said this one slipped under my radar so I went to buy it.

Turns out, I already own it. How old am I?:lol:

Pull up the rocking chair my friend. This porch has plenty of room.

Bought it today on GOG. I have zero time right now to play it but since I'll be sort of unemployed at the end of the year, I'm looking forward to catching up on lots of games in the new year!

Love this game, but I have a fairly large monitor with a high resolution (27'' 2560x1440), and everything is soooo small... I need to grab a smaller monitor with a lower res for my old games I guess.

Love this game, but I have a fairly large monitor with a high resolution (27'' 2560x1440), and everything is soooo small… I need to grab a smaller monitor with a lower res for my old games I guess.

Just use a lower resolution that matches your monitor's aspect ratio.

Its possible to do that, I know. But when you use a non native resolution even when you use the right aspect ratio it causes the image, and especially fonts, to lose sharpness. To me it looks a bit as if there was a slight fog over things?

Its not THAT bad, but its fairly annoying and especially in a game where there is a lot of text…and the font isn't one of the sharpest already.

It won't stop me from playing, but it does mean I dont play nearly as long as I normally would and tends to distract me when playing….with that said the game is still awesome. I wouldn't be considering getting another monitor for it otherwise :p.

On a 2560x1440 monitor, you should be able to use 1280x720 with no loss of image quality (what you're calling "sharpness").

Back
Top Bottom