New Star Wars movie gets 100% on Rotten Tomatoes

Watched it 2 days ago. I actually give it a higher mental score now than immediately after watching it. I would totally recommend it to a Star Wars newbie, go see it NOW. But to older people who've watched the other movies, I would still tell them to watch it, but they can wait until there are no lines, a week or two, no rush.

Got to agree on the comment about Adam Driver being as cringeworthy as hayden christensen. I happen to think Adam Driver is a pretty reasonable actor but he was poorly used. Why on earth does he have a mask on if he is so quick to take it off? It seems to be purely cosmetic unlike Vader's. They made him look like an angst filled teenager. How old was he supposed to be in the movie?

I thought he was cast perfect and played it perfect. His character is a douchy wannabe! He WANTS to be Darth Vader, but he's really not even close. He orders the massacre of an entire village just because he thinks that the evil thing to do. He doesn't need a mask, but he wants to project the image of Vader.

After seeing him throw a few tantrums, I fully expected that if he removed the mask, he'd look like some douchey kid and that's exactly what it was! I think he took off the mask because he was desperate to get the map from Rey. That further shows that he doesn't really know what he's doing. He let his guard down.

Last edited:
I saw it this morning finally. Good ride. Looks like I was right when I stopped reading this thread when spoilers started showing up.

I didn't like how much rehash there was. Its one thing to connect you with the earlier stories but to take the first and third movies and tie them together? I think the empirefirst order needs to start rethinking building death stars. They are nothing but a target.

The pace was much too fast.

Mike - you mentioned critics and Empire. Ha! I knew I wasn't the only one who thought Darth Vader was Luke's father was completely stupid. Better was the original line: Obi Wan killed your father.

I think Ford was great. For a guy who once didn't believe in the Force to suddenly run into these two is a constant shocker. Its great that he finally got to use the dog's crossbow after 40 years. We watched Jedi enhanced before seeing this and that's the only blaster that's the least bit accurate.

Also, remember, actors LOVE a good death scene. It was what got Nimoy to play Spock again in ST2. Now Ford can put this behind him and focus on his next Indy picture.

The kids were great, John Boyega especially. That guy has some amazing skill with accents, being British of Nigerian descent. It seems Daisy Ridley didn't even try. She was good - much better than Natalie Portman - and she got to play some good range. Did you see her go all Sith?

Remember its been discovered over the years the acting styles of the original three leads was..different. Its still good tho as its part of the fun.

I'm really curious where this could develop now. We don't need to rehash the past now. I'm in the camp that Rey and Ben are brother and sister, although Abrams was clearly trying to lead she was Luke's daughter. With who? The guy was clearly celibate by the third movie - and he'd know how dangerous that would be from his training.

It will be revealed Rey was abandoned on Jaku/Tatooine because of how he failed with Ben Solo. He had Rey raised the way he was, left to be resourceful on her own full of abandonment issues, wanting a life better than she has it. In a way her family did come back for her - by making her come to them. That's what I think!

Oh, and what's the deal with Maz Kanata? My fellow Kanuck has some pretty amazing insight on things.

Did anyone read the recent article that Jar Jar was the original Count Duku? A reddit guy wrote a lengthy opinion that Jar Jar was Popatine's secret agent sent to recruit Anakin and he hid in plane sight by playing so stupid. That he was, in fact, based off Asimov's The Mule.

Did anyone read the recent article that Jar Jar was the original Count Duku? A reddit guy wrote a lengthy opinion that Jar Jar was Popatine's secret agent sent to recruit Anakin and he hid in plane sight by playing so stupid. That he was, in fact, based off Asimov's The Mule.

That would have required a level of subtlety that frankly Lucas is completely incapable of. Had someone else been writing the prequels, I could see it. Same goes with the whole R2D2 or Chewbacca being a deep cover agent.

supreme_leader_jar_jar_by_revenantrising-d9fcu92.png
That would have required a level of subtlety that frankly Lucas is completely incapable of. Had someone else been writing the prequels, I could see it. Same goes with the whole R2D2 or Chewbacca being a deep cover agent.

I challenge you to write out by hand the plot of the first prequel. If you look past the lousy character interaction, bad acting, bad cgi (actors clearly looking at each other from across the room are three feet from each other), there is quite a bit of subtle plotting going on - and only Yoda sees it in the second movie. We see it because of hind site.

But here's the article. I don't agree with all of it - I don't think Jar Jar was the Popatine's from the beginning - but it makes a lot of sense, and the heavy lifting from Asimov makes sense from George.

https://www.reddit.com/comments/3qvj6w

What do you know a critic finally told the truth about The Force Awakens.

Link - http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/17/so-what-happens-if-you-dislike-star-wars.html
“Every once in a while I have what I think of as an out-of-the-body experience at a movie. When I use the phrase, I simply mean that my imagination has forgotten it is actually present in a movie theater and thinks it’s up there on the screen,” Roger Ebert once wrote. “The movie’s happening, and it’s happening to me.”

This was in Ebert’s review of Srar Wars, the first one, the jagged little masterpiece of ’70s sci-fi. Kind of a beautiful thought, this—art begot of art. He gave it four stars, before they renamed it Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope because, in part, DVD box sets were once a very profitable business.

Andrew O’Hehir just didn’t feel any of that big, sweeping, other-worldly love Tuesday night at the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens, even if he wanted to. He felt like he had seen it all before. He kept getting pulled out of it.

The movie wasn’t happening to him. It was happening at him, in big, predictable, even enjoyable strokes. Like a seventh chorus after a seventh verse, his brain knew knew what to hum.

In fact, he basically liked the movie, but he had a question: What did this movie actually accomplish?

What did the film accomplish? I think it made us forget Phantom Menace, if only for a little while!! :)

What did the film accomplish? I think it made us forget Phantom Menace, if only for a little while!! :)
Someone didn't read the article as I only quoted the beginning.

Shame on you Corwin.:p

I think this is one thing are not realizing about the success of this movie: its not the last three.

The prequels set the bar so low that the public longed for a new one.

Plus the absence and demand. This was the same phenomenon that happened with Star Trek, Firefly, and Grimoire.

I thought he was cast perfect and played it perfect. His character is a douchy wannabe! He WANTS to be Darth Vader, but he's really not even close.

That further shows that he doesn't really know what he's doing. He let his guard down.

Hmm great explanation. I would be okay with him being like that if there were more respectable evil guys backing him up. Instead we get the first order which was probably explained in a single sentence and a giant holographic evil boss called "Snookie" (Snoke), general huxtable (hux), and an incompentent Captain Phasma (real name…).

It was dumb and I liked it. Call me an easy mark, but I enjoyed the cheesy comic bits, and I thought the younger cast was good -- John Boyega had worried me in the previews, but in context the oversized way he played everything worked fine. And Adam Driver was great -- everything Hayden Christensen failed to be in the prequels.

That said, George Lucas must be kind of fuming right now: "Oh, so that was what they wanted from me, exactly the same thing again."

Also, I feel like if you were on your third planet-sized superweapon, you maybe would try not putting in the little trench where if you shoot the end of it the whole thing blows up. I just think someone whould have noticed that this is a problematic design.

Link - http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/17/so-what-happens-if-you-dislike-star-wars.html

Good article, thanks for posting. After a bit of time reflecting on it the best way I can describe it is like seeing Freddy Mercury wow you 30 years ago, being told there's a front man with all his magic, and being served up an X Factor winner. Yes there's good elements, yes there's well polished & oiled performance's, but there's no real substance, soul, originality and in a year's time no-one will be buzzing about it.

ALL of the critics told the truth. Those who loved it, those who found fault, and the very, very few who hated it.

The article you posted was a waste of time.

Good article, thanks for posting. After a bit of time reflecting on it the best way I can describe it is like seeing Freddy Mercury wow you 30 years ago, being told there's a front man with all his magic, and being served up an X Factor winner. Yes there's good elements, yes there's well polished & oiled performance's, but there's no real substance, soul, originality and in a year's time no-one will be buzzing about it.

You mean like the James Garfield reboot of Spiderman? Certainly not like the new Filipino frontman of Journey (who was fired I think) or the new AC/DC. Or how about Pink Floyd without Sid Barret.

---

Anyone catch the quote from George Lucas saying he sold his "kids" to Disney and called them White Slavers?

Finally watched it two days ago. Liked it a lot! And Abram's Star Wars was more Star Wars than Abrams' Star Trek was Star Trek.

Sure, we've sort of seen it before, but I was definitely entertained. Fun main actors, too. Really looking forward to the next installments.

8.5/10

One little thing that did bug me a bit, but I'm not sure if it's just me slowly becoming disillusioned. It's something I noticed in newer movies lately -- the focus is, maybe, too much on the protagonists. Side characters are so much on the side that they could as well not be there at all. Is that something new? I don't really recall having felt like that in older movies.

Then there's lots of action on a grand scale, but it sort of doesn't matter, because it's just too distant.
Some planets get blown up but you don't care so much because, well, there wasn't really any connection. The scene itself was nicely done but it was over before it began. The rebels (cavalry) appear out of nowhere, but you don't know any of those guys, so.. *shrug*

re: your spoiler that's been true in all the SW movies so far. Showing the planets and cloud city in the enhanced doesn't help because you are too distracted by the CGI.

So, question. Is Rey a Mary Sue?

Han was an old, grizzled smuggler w/ street smarts. Luke was a complete dweeb for all but one scene in Episode IV. Rey reminds me of a protagonist in an RA Salvatore novel - the kind whose safety is never in jeopardy, who will overcome all odds with her hands tied behind her back... and all at a young age and without any training. An utterly boring main character.

Back
Top Bottom