RPGWatch Feature - The Waylanders Interview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Farflame reached out to Gato Salvaje Studio, for an interview about The Waylanders, and got to ask CEO and narrative director, Sergio Prieto some questions.

RPGWatch: I will start right away with a question concerning an issue players have. It seems that there is a certain skepticism nowadays towards "unknown" indie studios, especially RPG makers. Also if I'm not mistaken your studio didn't make an RPG before. So how would you convince these people? Can you briefly introduce your studio and tell us why you started a CRPG project and why you believe you can do it?

Sergio Prieto: Well, this is a logical concern, we have had many years of experience in video games, and the main thing we have learned is that you can't launch a project while having doubts, and I mean doubts about any aspect of your game: your gameplay, your script, your production pipeline... everything. And with this project we had a focus right from the start, to make sure that we are doing the right things all the time. We looked into having enough, and the best people possible, to create a game like this. We hired Mike Laidlaw and our other consultant, not only because of the script, but also to know if our production process is the best for this kind of game. Mike came here to our studio in Spain during two weeks and had interviews with all of our team, he saw our planning and raised warnings and concerns. Then he help us to build the High Level Narrative in order to make sure that we would have the game that we wanted.

Apart from that, we showed the game at Gamescom to a lot of people, to receive feedback. We focused on gameplay at that moment, because we wanted to see people playing the game and see their reaction. Now we are on Kickstarter to validate the project again, to know if people really want our project.

We looked into the experience of people that were in the lead during production at Bioware and Obsidian and at the feedback of the players; because before anyone would have any concerns, we wanted to be sure that we didn't have those concerns as well. Right now we are incredibly proud of what we are building. The proof is that there was a lot of media interest that were shown our pre-alpha in Germany or Japan and they really liked what they saw.
More information.

Thanks Farflame!

This was an excellent interview! Great questions posed from Farflame and lots of meaty answers for all of us to enjoy while we wait on what appears to be a stellar game to be finished.

You are welcome, guys. Waylanders are interesting project. I like the fact that its celtic RPG and the idea about conflict celtic vs medieval, magic vs religion. I hope they will make it.

Thanks Farflame and all the RPGWatch crew :)

Thanks for interesting answers. :)

Carnifex said:
This was an excellent interview! Great questions posed from Farflame and lots of meaty answers for all of us to enjoy while we wait on what appears to be a stellar game to be finished.

Thanks. I try to do my best. And regarding the stellar game - we will see but at least it could be stellar ending of tight campaign. :)

Does anyone know how the “time traveling“ will work? Do you play with the same char(s)?

Does anyone know how the “time traveling“ will work? Do you play with the same char(s)?

Yes, your hero can travel through time. But your party will be different in both time periods.

Thanks Farflame and all the RPGWatch crew :)

BTW you have nice photos on KS. I cant put it here because forum system of RPGWatch destroys the link, but like this one…

galicia.jpg

With this level of graphics the game would be funded and have all stretch goals in several hours. :)

Back
Top Bottom