Underworld Ascendant - Launch Trailer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The release trailer for Underworld Ascendant ahead of its November 15th launch on Steam.

Launching November 15th on Steam! From the creative minds behind the acclaimed Ultima Underworld®, System Shock and Thief series. In Underworld Ascendant®, Paul Neurath and Warren Spector's OtherSide Entertainment challenges you to think creatively in an interactive sandbox environment. Enter The Stygian Abyss, a dangerous, highly interactive dungeon world. Mix and match dozens of combat, stealth and magic skills to develop your own unique style of play.
More information.

I want to believe.

One of the last games I backed on Kickstarter and now just before launch I dont feel iterest anymore. Im afraid this has potential to be disapointment even with zero expectations. Would be nice to be wrong though.

If the current Beta version is any indication, this still isn't ready to be released yet. I just started playing it yesterday, and it's not very polished imo. Movement is clunky, the physics don't feel quite right, and some things aren't placed correctly- i.e. chests lying upside down, etc.

Hopefully the release version is significantly better.

I’ll probably try this out...a year or more from now after its discounted and gone through many updates..but i guess i do this with every new game now.

I'm hoping for the best here as well, but one thing I know for certain is that I won't make the mistake of playing this game the very first week of release. I'll make sure I have another game or two lined up, while this one receives all the patches that I believe it will likely need to be playable.

If the current Beta version is any indication, this still isn't ready to be released yet. I just started playing it yesterday, and it's not very polished imo. Movement is clunky, the physics don't feel quite right, and some things aren't placed correctly- i.e. chests lying upside down, etc.

Hopefully the release version is significantly better.

It is not ready, everybody even the devs know it, but they have to release it.... and they will crash.... again due to bugs and poor optimization. Damnit.....

It is not ready, everybody even the devs know it, but they have to release it…. and they will crash…. again due to bugs and poor optimization. Damnit…..
Yeah, that's what happens when publishers, rather than developers, control release dates.

Still, any RPG that's not party based has me excited. I've read some of the beta impressions on their forum and a lot of the complaints seem to be about design decisions, rather than performance.

In any case, I can afford to wait and see. I have more than enough games to finish up.

One can even regret having backed a given game. This time, though, I don't regret not having backed this one.

Of course, I may still buy it in the future if it proves to be fun and all. But I don't expect it to be another Ultima Underworld I. Not even close.

Last edited:
Agreed. If I've learned anything about giving money to the Bard's Tale project, Wasteland, and probably this one, I know it's impossible to recapture those early memories. I'll settle for a decent game that perhaps gives me a few new memories to enjoy and treasure!!!

I am one of the backers but I can't shake off the feeling that this game will be disaster much like SotA. Animations and movement look so clunky I'm afraid. I really hope to be wrong.

Yes, I unfortunately backed this as well. Due to JDR's comments about this in the past, I've put this on a back burner. It doesn't seem fully cooked yet and may never get done enough for consumption. Time will tell.

I am optimistic, particularly about the gameplay and mechanics. I think that the shortfall will be in the technical aspects (its a Unity game afterall!) and probably missed potential (mechanics, simulation and player tools are in place but not fully exploited due to level design of something else).

Agreed. If I've learned anything about giving money to the Bard's Tale project, Wasteland, and probably this one, I know it's impossible to recapture those early memories. I'll settle for a decent game that perhaps gives me a few new memories to enjoy and treasure!!!

I liked Wasteland 2 and I hope Wasteland 3 turns out to be a good game as well. We can agree to disagreeing here :)

Last edited:
Oh, I quite enjoyed Wasteland Two myself! I guess it just didn't match up to the prior game in the series for me. It was far superior to Bard's Tale four, in my honest opinion.

Back
Top Bottom