Kingmaker - Funded!

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Pathfinder: Kingmaker has reached its funding goal and has announced a new stretch goal at 600K.

New stretch goal - Magus

All of us were brought up among countless fantasy novels, shows, games and movies. And when we play Pathfinder at the table we want our character to be close to what inspired us in the heroes and villains from these familiar pages and scenes, to be able to do things like they did, and that's a major part of what RPGs are about. Yet while there is no shortage of traditional fantasy heroes, who fight with both sword and magic with impunity - from Elric of Melnibone to Geralt the Witcher, to even Jedi Knights, it's hard to make such a character in an RPG. Most standard sets of RPG classes either don't give you the possibility to play such a character, or worse, limitations on character development render these builds ineffective. Fret not, for we have great news! Unveiling our latest stretch goal, let us show you the ideal class for you: the Magus.

There are those who spend their lives poring over ancient tomes and texts, unlocking the power of magic, and there are those who spend their time perfecting the use of individual weapons, becoming masters without equal. The Magus is at once a student of both philosophies, blending magical ability and martial prowess into something entirely unique, a discipline in which both spell and steel are used to devastating effect.

Much like his martially adept colleagues, the Magus makes skillful use of melee weapons in combat. He wears his armor without being hindered in his spellcasting abilities like many other magic-users. The Magus prefers one-handed weapons, because of his signature ability, Spell Combat, that allows him to use his other hand to cast spells while simultaneously attacking an opponent with his weapon of choice.

From the secrets of his magical counterparts, he gets a vast array of arcane spells, which both include classics, like Fireball and Haste, and entirely new spells, like Greater Blade Dash - a spell, that allows the Magus to teleport to a designated point and attack anyone unlucky enough to stand in his path. The Magus also gets an arcane pool - a reservoir of magical energy, that can be spent to imbue his weapon with various enchantments or to restore the spells he has already cast that day.

His battle prowess allows him to dauntlessly cast spells, which other arcane casters fear to use, for these spells would require them to approach dangerous melee combat. The Magus excels particularly at using touch spells, like Shocking Grasp and Force Punch, because his Spell Strike feature allows him to discharge them not by touching an opponent, but by hitting them with his weapon of choice, inflicting upon the target both the effects of the spell and full damage from the attack, all as part of casting his spell.

As he grows in power, the Magus unlocks powerful forms of arcana that allow him to merge his talents further, and at the pinnacle of his art, the Magus becomes a blur of steel and magic, a force that few foes would dare to stand against. Available forms of arcana include, for example, new properties to enchant his blade with, getting a familiar (a magical creature that will serve Magus as a pet), acquiring new spells from the Wizard's spell list and the ability to use a wand as a second weapon in pair with his primary one.

Magus is a complex class with different paths of development to choose from. Players who are unsure whether they want to play a spellcaster or a melee combatant will find his access to both quite convenient. If you enjoy having the possibility to just quickly beat up a bunch of weaker enemies with normal attacks, whilst being able to utilize complex spell combinations in difficult fights, you will find the way of the Magus perfect. And for those of you who want the proverbial Jack of all trades, somebody with deadly skills in both melee and magic may find that the Magus fits this description, and in certain situations beats his specialized counterparts.

* All specific names are used only as a reference to original Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (R) entities and could be subject to change in the Pathfinder: Kingmaker CRPG.

Hail to the kings!

Owlcats.
More information.

Very cool. I jumped on this bandwagon right away. I hope it goes well.

100k for ANOTHER CLASS? Those guys can do marketing alright, but this is a preposterous stretch goal.

100k for ANOTHER CLASS? Those guys can do marketing alright, but this is a preposterous stretch goal.

How do you figure that? If you actually followed the campaign you would know there is another stretch goal at 550,000.

How do you figure that? If you actually followed the campaign you would know there is another stretch goal at 550,000.

I didn't follow the campaign, my mistake. From the link, it looks like the 600k stretch goal is the next. What is the stretch goal at 500k?

Congratulations to Owlcat for reaching their goal, and good luck putting out the game. Hopefully it'll be very enjoyable.

Perhaps now they'll enable PayPal payments?

I didn't follow the campaign, my mistake. From the link, it looks like the 600k stretch goal is the next. What is the stretch goal at 500k?

500k - initial goal
550k - first stretch goal (camping)
600k - second stretch goal (new class)

It's "extended" camping inspired by the old Realms of Arkania games where you can assign tasks to your party members like hunting, collecting herbs, etc.

I guess they already include all they set out to do in the base game (which would have been completed even with a failed KS). So the rest is just icing on the cake.

Although, I want them to get max money so they can flesh out things as much as possible.

Really excited to play this next year!

Indeed Darkheart you do well to put your precise finger on the huge drawback of this project: We have to wait one year.

They need to focus on more important things, like romances.
Kingdoms come and go, but waifus stay with you forever…or something like that. ;)

It's "extended" camping inspired by the old Realms of Arkania games where you can assign tasks to your party members like hunting, collecting herbs, etc.

Ah, that is awesome. I loved that in RoA. It makes traveling much more impacting and meaningful, a journey you have to plan for. I really hope they hit that goal.

This game is shaping up nicely.

So looking forward to this one, its good to see my favourite genre is still alive and kicking.....

This game should be called Stretch Goal: Kingmaker

I understand they want to attract more pledges, but 50k for essentially a menu screen when camping does seem a bit...odd. I know they have to design the system and balance it, but I would hope that could be accomplished without a stretch goal. Eh, hope they hit it, though.

I understand they want to attract more pledges, but 50k for essentially a menu screen when camping does seem a bit…odd. I know they have to design the system and balance it, but I would hope that could be accomplished without a stretch goal. Eh, hope they hit it, though.

Their stretch goals are pretty underwhelming to say the least, and don't enhance the kingmaking (or rather kingdom making) aspect particularly well.

I thought most of their goals were supposed to be about more kingdom stuff.

Their stretch goals are pretty underwhelming to say the least, and don't enhance the kingmaking (or rather kingdom making) aspect particularly well.

I thought most of their goals were supposed to be about more kingdom stuff.
The base 500k are about that

Last edited:
I personally think having an added class is cool. I think one should consider these stretch goals with a grain of salt. Past Kickstarters have had more ambitious stretch goals for 50 to 100k. D:OS for example decided not to implement a day/night cycle and Torment is missing companions. And remember the Pillars of Eternity Stronghold? That was an implemented stretch goal that wasn't well implemented.So I'd rather have realistic stretch goals that are actually well implemented. I also think in general added funds will lead to more development time, or extra employees which will help to increase the chances of a better finished product.

Back
Top Bottom