Massive c&c sections

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Which games have the most impressive questline/areas only accessible by locked c&c. I'm talking about things like the DAO origins, or Witcher 2 human/non-human path. Are there other games that have anything like that?

Areas, no. Quests and questlines, sure.
Make INT 1 character in FO2 = profit! :D

I can't think of anything on the same level as The Witcher 2, but there's an entire section of Baldur's Gate 2 that can be missed depending on a choice you make.

After you rescue Imoen from Spellhold, a pirate offers to sail you back to the mainland. You can decline his offer and instead leave via a portal you find. Either way, you will eventually end up in The Underdark.

However, if you leave with the pirate, your ship will be attacked and you end up in Sahuagin City first. It's a fairly large map with multiple quests and a few items you can't get anywhere else.

From the ones that I played and I can remember:

DA:O
Fallout: New Vegas
Dark Souls (1,2,3) - we are talking about large areas here locked based on your actions
Shadowrun: Dragonfall

I don't remember any locked off areas of New Vegas. Bethesda games usually have the same areas accessed in different ways by faction choice. Dark Souls I wouldn't play (I'm not a masochist), but could you tell me more about Dragonfall - if you can without spoilers?

There's an optional chapter in Kingmaker.

Might & Magic VII actually had my favorite C&C though: The choice of arbiter completely changes the rest of the game. New classes, new spell school (light vs dark), new city to visit, new characters to meet. The consequences are massive.

I've never really been heavily invested in "big C&C" as a major boon in CRPGs. I mean, I really do like that developers make the effort - but I almost never replay games, and so I guess I rarely get to really feel these differences.

I tend to prefer C&C that's more about giving me alternate gameplay options or which support my specific playstyle.

To me, that's a lot more interesting. As in, I love it when a game responds to something I do in a specific way - and it's better the more I feel the consequence. Either through a reward or even just a different dialogue sequence.

It's my experience that the "major" C&C changes like in, say, Witcher 2 - are simply too expensive when contrasted with what the game could have been without it.

For instance, Witcher 2 would have been 30% bigger without that big change - and I would probably have preferred that - as I don't intend to replay it to see the other path. I like the idea of having two major paths there, sure, but I always play my character according to the situation at hand - and I'm not likely to want a different path than the one I took. So, if I was going to experience the other path - I would be playing against my nature, which is something I absolutely don't enjoy doing.

So, for "my kind" of impressive C&C - it's more along the lines of games like Vampire Bloodlines or Deus Ex - where it's about supporting my playstyle and responding based on what kind of character I've created and how I play that character.

I don't remember any locked off areas of New Vegas. Bethesda games usually have the same areas accessed in different ways by faction choice. Dark Souls I wouldn't play (I'm not a masochist), but could you tell me more about Dragonfall - if you can without spoilers?

It has been a while since playing Dragonfall, but the ones that I remember are accessed in relation to your shadowrunners and their own story levels, related to missions you are willing to accept from NPCs, which sides you choose .. etc. Its a wonderful little gem.

Pathfinder Kingmaker. You can miss two entire chapters depending on decisions. There are other things as well.

Cool, I will definitely play Kingmaker (probably around 2022-23). I have the Shadowrun games, AoD, and the Mght & Magic games in my library, just need to get to them eventually.

Someone else had mentioned Wasteland 2. Early on you have the choice of responding to two different distress calls. Unless I'm mistaken, each one led to a different fairly extensive scenario. The place you didn't help get wiped out, though you could still pick through the ruins later if you wanted.

There was a lot of other c&c with dramatic effect as well, but not to the extent of blocking off entire maps (I don't think).

Command & Conquer ?

Back
Top Bottom