Which CRPG have you replayed (from start to finish) the most?

I'd say Pathfinder: Kingmaker will be my second most played game. Its been out for ~5months and I already finished it twice.

As for the current record, I finished NWN: The Aielund Saga 4 times and I'm sure I will go back to it again.

I also played Stardew Valley for 800+ hours - this game has no "ending" but I have like 10 different saves.

Oof, that is quite something.

I mean, the game is pretty good and has alot of replay value. But even 15 times vanilla… I could not have done that. How long do you think did your shortest playthrough take?

I don't "rush" games I enjoy - I'd say all of my completed BG2 run took at least 100 hours :)

Definitely M&M 4-8; I just find them relaxing fun when I don't want to engage my brain too much, but just relax and unwind!! There are others like G2 and SS1 I replay, but none so much as M&M.

I don't replay games that often, but I put a ton of time into DA:O.

Complete playthroughs as Circle Mage (sacrificed myself), Human Noble (married Alistair but talked him into hooking up with with Morrigan), and Dwarven Noble (recruited Loghain and had him sacrifice himself). Only three, but each was about 150 hours.

I also hardly replay any game.

I think I completed Lands of Lore 2 or 3 times.
And JA2 is probably also at 2 times or so (and started like dozens of times).

But that's probably about it. Once I finish a game, I don't go back again. Then again, at least I finish about 95% of the games I start :p

Probably Age of Decadence, since it's short and meant to be replayed.

2nd most replayed might be Expeditions: Viking, which I think I completed three times.

I did the first Mass Effect game twice (once as a good gal, the second time as a prick). I finished Ultima 2 a few times, mostly because I didn't have any other games to play. I'm not sure how the old Eamon Adventures would fit into this but I did do a few of those multiple times.

On the JPRG front, I finished The Last Remnant twice and could have finished my third play-through at any time. I finished Final Fantasy 7 a couple of times, too.

If XCOM counts, I finished the reboot twice.

Vintage: Magic Candle series
(Ultima 6/7 are strong runner-ups)
I love simple epics, and well-crafted old skool cRPGs are the best place to find'em.

Classic: Arcanum
Tried a few builds and had genuine fun with'em (imbalance and all).

Modern: Skyrim
Because one simply can't have enough Skyrim.

Close-case: Zelda: BoW
I'm still finding new stuff in this game, two years after its release.

FYI, although I'm a content tourist, I'm playing these games without any FAQ or help. These gems deserve the right to play'em properly.
All discoveries are mine, and I'm pretty damn proud of it.

Jagged Alliance 1-2.
Gothic 1-2.
HoMM 3.

p.s.: does not count here as 'replay' nor is an RPG but just as a fun fact: almost got expelled from uni because of Age of Empires II. :D

Fallout: NV
DA:O (finished 2 times)
Gothic 3 (finished 2 times)
Eye of the Beholder (finished 2 times with ASE)
Demon Souls (finished 2 times)
Dark Souls 1 (finished 2 times)
Dark Souls 2 (finished vanilla 3 times, but still need to conquer the extraordinary DLCs)

FO2. I stopped counting so dunno how many times.

Skyrim, though finish isn't even a concept in that game. I own four copies of the game and have over 4000 hours combined. Now a ton of that is in modded content, so put about 1/3 of the hours in mods.

If I have to pick a game with an ending it would be either Might and Magic III or Might and Magic VII, probably VII. I've completed III, VI, VII, and VIII dozens of times each.

Icewind Dale.

Can't believe no-one's mentioned it yet as someone said earlier how it would most likely be a game with lots of class variation. IWD is basically a module to allow you to constantly replay with ever weirder groups of adventurers & even has gameplay modes for solo'ing and then difficulty levels of each. The game has virtually unlimited replay potential similar any roguelike you could mention but is still a well made and enjoyable full RPG.

So, yeah, probably played through it about 10 times I'd guess over the years. Having said this, most of these times will be just the vanilla 1.06 release without even the Heart of Winter expansion, so I have no idea if the game is so replayable via the Enhanced Edition as both the HoW expansion and then the EE provided so many extra spells and gizmos that it might possibly feel very samey with all the characters now, I wouldn't know.

& @purpleblob; no I'm not at all surprised you've done BG2 abt 50 times, that's another game so rich in charatcer classes and team options from solo to six-person.

Just do the math folks, those 2 IE games allowed you to go with anything from 1-6 characters, so that's 6 playthroughs, now inflate that by the number of character classes, and then inflate that by the number of choices within each class, either by race or loot preference (such as sword and board versus 2 hander versus dual wield & all etc) and the potential permutations for new and innovative runs is almost incalculable. Even 50 runs is just tipping the iceburg of possibilities.

Yeah, BG2. Not 50 times, but a lot.

I guess the Dark Souls games should get a mention. I think I was up to NG+12 in DS2.

@lackblogger; yeah Icewind Dale is a great game and I've sunk a fair few replays into it myself. The EE does make a lot of changes that affect balance, and it's not just spells - I did a solo run with a beserker a few years back and it was actually surprisingly easy (at least, right up until the last fight, which was a absolute nightmare) but the fact my character was able to dual wield made a massive difference. Vanilla didn't permit dual wield iirc. The different party compositions and self made challenges are still a lot of fun though (there's still plenty of variety in the builds), and Heart of Winter (and Trials of the Loremaster) are a good challenge.

Character variety and such is definitely a good reason to replay a game - I would agree.

But, for me, the actual game and its content is probably the most important part - and I can't replay the same content 50 times in a huge CRPG just to see a few variations of builds or party members.

I do understand the appeal, though. We all enjoy different things!

To me, there are just too many games out there - and even if I sat down and played all day long from now until the day I die - I wouldn't be able to play all the good ones a single time all the way through.

So, for me, the thought of replaying a single game 50 times is just out of the question.

But it's certainly interesting - and it sort of confirms a pet theory of mine about how early loves form our future preferences more so than almost anything else.

In fact, I think that's true for many aspects of human life. Adulthood is, in many ways, one long search for what we once had.

Anyway, I'm digressing!

In favor of BG2, you could take a few playthroughs just to see all different stronghold questlines. And there's the two variants of choosing thieves vs. vampires. And you may or may not go into that under-sea kingdom (before the underdark).

Oh, I'm sure there's plenty to see in that game.

Again, it's all subjective. Once I've spent 100 hours in a game and I've completed it - I tend to be done with it.

I do remember being a little different as a kid, when I sometimes only had one game to play - and I could spend hours and hours experimenting with it.

But, almost no games can make me replay them just to see another questline or something similar like that these days.

As I said, I'd rather play an entirely new game than replay a familiar one to experience 1% new content - if that makes sense.

I prefer seeing new things in most cases, though there are rare exceptions.

System Shock 2, for instance, I've replayed multiple times because it's relatively short - and because it's coop. When I play with friends - the game itself is less important.

Ironically, in real life - I'm the sort of person who goes to the same restaurant over and over - because I know what I'm getting. I'm much less keen on new experiences in that way ;)

As @lackblogger; pointed out, I see so much replayability potential in IE (or other similar) games.

If I remember correctly, there are 17 companions in BG2, so that's at least 3-4 playthroughs - but I also wanted to hear all possible banters, so I tried to get all different party compositions. I think I tried out almost all available class as my main as well. Then there were mods - some adds new companions, while others adds new quests/contents. So. Much. Replayability! :D

While I loved Icewind Dale as well (I finished it 2 or 3 times I think), it is rather similar to BG2, so I ended up playing it far less.

And now, Kingmaker is my new BG2. I'm hoping the modding community will take off!

I'm just someone who likes particular type of things, and I'd rather spend my time enjoying those stuff than trying out something I don't normally enjoy. A bit closed minded? Maybe, but I don't have infinite amount of time so I'd rather spend every minute doing what I like when I can.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom