Favorite Star Wars movie - and why

D

Darth Tagnan

So, which Star Wars movie is your favorite - and why is that?

In case you forgot, this is what you have to pick from:

The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi

The original three movies as they sucked you in and provided a good distraction. Lucas also did the three prequels, but I didn't get the same feeling as the original trilogy.

When it was sold to Disney I was excited but Disney ruined the universe. Bad directors, writers, identity politics, diversity, I could go on but they have no idea what StarWars is.

Though some of the TV shows planned for Disney's Netfix service do look promising.

The original three movies as they sucked you in and provided a good distraction. Lucas also did the three prequels, but I didn't get the same feeling as the original trilogy.

When it was soldto Disney I was excited but Disney ruined the universe. Bad directors, writers, identity politics, diversity, I could go on but they have no idea what StarWars is.

Though some of the TV shows planned for Disney's Netfix service do look promising.

So, the original movies are exactly equal - to you?

Hard to say as all three are tied together to tell the whole story. If I had to pick as you want it would have to be the second movie where Luke finds out Vader is his father.

Just imagine finding out your whole life was a lie and the man who killed your relatives & mentor is your father. How would you react as he cut off your hand at the same time?

Favorite: 6th.
Why? It made Ewoks and Ewoks 2 spinoffs possible.

Rogue One is not Star Wars movie, just like Solo and just like Ewoks is a spinoff, but unlike Ewoks is "I didn't ask for this" rotten one.

I know people tend to think that the views on these films are just coloured by nostalgia, but I try to take that into account, and yet I still think the original trilogy were far superior films. And, again, I know it tends to be the general consensus, but I do think Empire is the best among them, hands down.

Favorite: 6th.
Why? It made Ewoks and Ewoks 2 spinoffs possible..
I almost forgot about the Ewoks spin-offs.

As I'm still trying to forgot that X-Mas special.

I know people tend to think that the views on these films are just coloured by nostalgia, but I try to take that into account, and yet I still think the original trilogy were far superior films. And, again, I know it tends to be the general consensus, but I do think Empire is the best among them, hands down.

Truth be told, I really don't know how nostalgia affects me with Star Wars - but I know it's a factor, that's for sure.

However, I don't think there can be any question that the prequels are inferior in terms of script and I think the green screen factor negatively impacted the acting, too.

However, I know plenty of people who like them better - and age isn't the only factor, apparently.

Well, there's no accounting for taste, of course, but, trying to be as objective as is possible when dealing with art, I really think the prequels were a lesson in bad film-making.

What I find fascinating was the technology wasn't ready to make the movies in the 70's. The documentaries go into detail how each scene and set had to be hand-crated.

Lucas and his staff pioneered how to make Space opera SPFX movies. Nowadays all you need is a green screen and a few computer experts to do all the graphic work.

This was also the difference between the original and prequels. Though I'll give Disney some credit for going back to actual prop scenes instead of full CGI in the new movies.

Either Empire or Return of the Jedi (for the space battle and Luke being taunted to the dark side at the end) depending in what mood I am.

I really enjoyed Solo, Rogue One and The Force Awakens too.

The prequels felt weirdly directed to me.

Either Empire or Return of the Jedi (for the space battle and Luke being taunted to the dark side at the end) depending in what mood I am.

I really enjoyed Solo, Rogue One and The Force Awakens too.

The prequels felt weirdly directed to me.

Yeah, Return of the Jedi is definitely a strong contender.

If we ignore the Ewoks (I admit, that isn't easy) - it's the perfect romantic fantasy space opera movie ;)

I love every second of the Vader/Luke/Emperor triangle.

It has been a long long time since I saw the movies, but I remember I loved the first movie and I think I also really liked the second movie too. I would have to watch them again to say which one I really think is better. I do remember the third movie was disappointing to me. And later on I did see the Phantom menace, thought it sucked, and then saw Attack of the Clones, and that was so horrible that it basically made me give up on the Star Wars films.

I have not seen any of the numerous movies since, nor do I like the direction they went with the series, just from reading about them and seeing who they picked to star in them. I have also read some plot summaries and they just made me laugh out loud about how bad it has gotten in the movies.

I also think Star Wars, overall, (as a franchise) is very over-rated, by the way. I wish they would stop making the movies, and the movies legions of die-hard fans are very annoying, in my opinion.

I saw one of them, don’t remember which one, for the very first time well after the first hype. It did not appeal to me. The story, the characters, the script.
Never was tempted to watch another of the series.

Yeah, if I had to try and make a critical defence of it, I'd probably go down the road of looking at the confounding aspects of Empire - betrayal, the total inversion of Vader's motivation from apparently seeking to destroy Luke, to wanting to embrace him as his dark-side son, and Luke left traumatised and lost somewhere between light and dark. I'd say New Hope and Jedi didn't have that depth or complexity, and were much more straightforward in their progression.

The Holiday Special because Life Day is important to me and my family. We put on our red robes as we slip a copy of the proton pack into the mind evaporator when its that time of the season.

ESB is slightly better than ANH and quite a bit better than RoTJ (because of the later portion of the movie). So yes, ESB. Why - just overall the most competent movie of them all i think, doesn't really have any annoying parts.

Of the new movies Rogue One was very good. Solo was decent but not great, its so ugly looking, really amateurish photo in it. The prequels i liked when they were new but not sure what i think today, they are not worse than the new Star Wars movies at least, that's for sure.

Empire, the only time my side actually had a chance. The rest of the movies are just pandering messes.

Then again, I always wanted to see a Star Trek show featuring Klingons exploring their area. I think if done by the right folks, it could be smashing.

Back
Top Bottom