Is discord now a thing?

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Saw a few "invites" here and there, for example Hentai heroes *cough*, okay, skippit

But then Portia added it: https://discord.gg/2z5zNSC
And today on steam forums I see Elex officially added it's own chatty there: http://discord.gg/vRXJp2n

What's going on? Devs finally understood facebook and twitter fans are not really game fans but soc. network drones? Or something else? What's discord anyway and why is it getting more presence?

Discord is the best VOIP program at the moment.
Works like a charm, can use it on multiple platforms. Can have multiple channels groups permissions etc.

Its VOIP but also text, image, file transfer etc.

Discord is the best VOIP program at the moment.
Works like a charm, can use it on multiple platforms. Can have multiple channels groups permissions etc.

Its VOIP but also text, image, file transfer etc.

Pretty much, me and my friends use it to share links etc as well as talk about those links and games in general.

Yeah, I'd say it's a thing. Been using it for little indie multiplayer games groups like Dominions 4 and For The King. You don't have to sign up to use it, too.

First time and only time I ever used discord was in conjunction with playing Everquest two, so this was a year or two ago. Great for talking with other players, not so great when those in charge of running the channel get their jollies from banning folks. Haven't used it since I experienced that.

First time and only time I ever used discord was in conjunction with playing Everquest two, so this was a year or two ago. Great for talking with other players, not so great when those in charge of running the channel get their jollies from banning folks. Haven't used it since I experienced that.

Well they can't ban you from discord.. you can always fire up another channel.

Eh, discord isnt good for guild chat etc, it is much better for talk between your friends.

The problem came from actual EQ developers being in the discord channel, and if you questioned them on topics they deemed untalkables, or disagreed with them openly, it was a sure way to get kicked from the channel. I wasn't in there for long as it just seemed to be an open cesspool of sorts.

It's definitely "a thing". It's not as promising as some fully open-source, federated solutions, but it's an improvement on the big social media platforms, and at least shows people's willingness to migrate to new services that provide more freedom.

The problem came from actual EQ developers being in the discord channel, and if you questioned them on topics they deemed untalkables, or disagreed with them openly, it was a sure way to get kicked from the channel. I wasn't in there for long as it just seemed to be an open cesspool of sorts.

Ah yes, there are a lot of stories of EQ dramatics. The 'F2P' + Graphics Upgrade/Downgrade scandal of particular note. Some of them take things way over the top serious. Sorry you had that experience.

I've played a session of the Star Wars - Edge of the Empire rpg with a dice rolling plug-in on Discord... Worked fine and good. For what it's worth.

Yeah, first time since 1998 that I've not been subscribed to either EQ 1, 2, or both. Kind of liberating, actually. I might try Pantheon when it comes out but, other than that one, I may be done with online games permanently.

My newish SWTOR guild uses it now, too.

Saw a few "invites" here and there, for example Hentai heroes *cough*, okay, skippit

But then Portia added it: https://discord.gg/2z5zNSC
And today on steam forums I see Elex officially added it's own chatty there: http://discord.gg/vRXJp2n

What's going on? Devs finally understood facebook and twitter fans are not really game fans but soc. network drones? Or something else? What's discord anyway and why is it getting more presence?

It's pretty much replaced any other VOIP for MMO guild interaction. It has the added benefit of being a one stop area for anything guild related. Kind of like a VOIP enabled Facebook group. You can even setup a self directed online radio channel. It's popular among the young folk.

It combine the old VOIP systems used by online gaming guilds and the website (including forums) that goes with it in a simple interface…and as a user I have never seen a single request for $$$ (so I have no idea if you have to pay for anything).

Even official companies are starting to use it (Obsidian Entertainment has an official discord for example).

Funny enough, I ended up using it because the posters of anime/jp novel sub-forums I hanged at moved every spoiler discussions to a discord channel after some rule change happens (i.e spoilers started to be considered copyrights infringement so nobody bothered posting spoilers there anymore).

Then my GW2 guild moved to it and now I got like 10 channels, lol.

How do they make money? It does take money to keep it operational I assume.

How do they make money? It does take money to keep it operational I assume.

They are living on "investor" money so far. They have plans to add paid content like "icons", "themes", "cosmetics" and such a things in the future. No idea how such a company will live by that. But maybe people buy a lot of those things.

Sorry if bumping old threads is not allowed, but does this forum have a discord server?

No, it doesn’t.

Back
Top Bottom