KotOR Remake - What We Hope To See @ TR

Hot-take: Jedi Fallen Order sucks and isn't an RPG so I don't care.

Hey, if Dark Souls is a RPG. If Phoenix Point is a RPG (that btw got 2nd best RPG of 2019 award in this site), then Jedi Fallen Order is a RPG.

PS: I don't disagree that "RPG" has become a bland term, just looking for consistency here.

Hey, if Dark Souls is a RPG. If Phoenix Point is a RPG (that btw got 2nd best RPG of 2019 award in this site), then Jedi Fallen Order is a RPG.

PS: I don't disagree that "RPG" has become a bland term, just looking for consistency here.
That I agree on remember X-Com is an RPG as well. Don't forget the latest Battletech game as well. So yes the genre I'm afraid to say has an identity problem.

Doesn't help when every game has incorporated RPG elements nowadays.

Fallen Order was easily the best Star Wars game since the early 2000's.

That's not saying much considering the sea of mediocrity Star Wars games have been since then, but maybe we're finally at a turning point.

Jedi Order was really good SW game. But compared to Dark Souls, it was hardly more then action game with few shallow RPG elements. Dark Souls has its actiony gameplay backed with solid RPG system backbone. Extensive stats having direct impact on gameplay, with numerous possible builds, with solid equipment and weaponry system. Considering RPG elements, these games are nowhere close.

Sorry to say fellas it's a remake for modern audiences and inside rumors point to yes it will. Anyway the original was action combat just slowed down to allow ability choices.

It was? I was of the impression I had played a RTwP game. Or is that the same to you?

It was? I was of the impression I had played a RTwP game. Or is that the same to you?
The original games paused when entering combat. You then selected three or four abilities to attack with. Then repeat again it wasn't a pure RTwP game at it's core.

Some players people even called those game Turn-based.:lol:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think it played a lot like NWN, that is, there were "combat rounds" that played continuously, but divided in 6-second segments where actions played. So if you had 1 attack per round, you could swing your weapon once every 6 seconds, or cast a spell once every 6 seconds. Later in the game you had more attacks per round, which turned into more attacks per 6-second segments. At some point at higher level with double sabre and haste boosts it felt like a constant flurry of damage coming out of your character.

That being very similar to how NWN or BG played, I believe it would qualify as RTwP, although it is true that it felt quite actiony.

Nope you explained it better then I. Basically mini-pauses. Though not once playing NWN did I personally pause the game. Heck I rarely pause an RPG even the RTwP ones.

Anyway like I said before it's a bastardized version of both Real time and turn-based.

Did it show the combat stats, roll outcomes and all that? I've always found that very useful to see how it works at the beginning (it's also a bit geeky and I loved that in NWN).

I've played it back then, but I can't remember seeing that. Only health bars, damage and earned XP numbers floating around, action-like.

Did it show the combat stats, roll outcomes and all that? I've always found that very useful to see how it works at the beginning (it's also a bit geeky and I loved that in NWN).

I've played it back then, but I can't remember seeing that. Only health bars, damage and earned XP numbers floating around, action-like.

It's not on by default, but I remember there being an option to display the dice rolls.

Just like pretty much every other Bioware game(BG, IWD, NWN), it's under feedback in the options menu.
KotOR is RTwP like the other games I mentioned, it has never been a "slow action game" like someone mentioned.
Unless the whole humanity was wrong all these years to consider it a CRPG and it was a "slow action game" all along.

Last edited:
The original KOTOR was good because it used the setting well and had a good story. It was released in a bit of a low for SW, post Phantom Menace, and was a breath of fresh air. The combat system was passable but not very deep compared to something like bg2 as it had a console focus. I would like to see a real d20 system implemented for KOTOR with the characters and story expanded upon in a tasteful way. I know most gamers today prefer action RPGs but this is my preferences we are talking about! ;-)

It was refreshing, I had a lot of fun in it after playing NWN for a while. NWN remains my favourite, even after playing BG recently, that's because I got used to the 3.0 and later rulesets I suppose. Or it's just emotional, or both.

I would like to see a real d20 system implemented for KOTOR
But what do you mean by that, I thought it was d20-based? (based on the Star Wars Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook). Do you mean it's not as deep as D&D versions?

Just like pretty much every other Bioware game(BG, IWD, NWN), it's under feedback in the options menu.
KotOR is RTwP like the other games I mentioned, it has never been a "slow action game" like someone mentioned.
Unless the whole humanity was wrong all these years to consider it a CRPG and it was a "slow action game" all along.
Oh snap and burn thank you man. Anyhow you cared enough about my opinion to comment. Man I feel blessed when members who rarely post do because of me.;)

Hmm…it seems we have another RPG genre misidentify again. Oh no the genre labeling sucks. Really guys as there are no such thing as CRPG's the genre has evolved.:p

(Ha I can go all day as I love being a jack ass in forums.)

Yes not as deep. A suitable comparison would be Dragon Age compared to say Pathfinder or BG games.
Sounds good in theory but Disney would never sign off on it. They want games to be accessible to modern gamers not old gronards who want Isometric TB RPGs.

Though I have to say I'd love an Isometric RTwP Star Wars RPG.:biggrin:

(Even if I never pause the game)

Or a Starfinder one :cool:
Me as well but we have to settle for the gronard Turn-based version from Owlcat.:cool:

Off-topic but I wonder if all future Owlcat games will be TB?o_O

(Don't hit the messenger but after Kingmaker it looks that way after Wrath.)

Back
Top Bottom