Dragon Age 4 - Concept Art

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
IGN France has some concept art from Dragon Age 4.

dragonage4-screens-5-1598560007070_65mc.1080.jpg

dragonage4-screens-10-1598560020236_pm2j.1080.jpg

dragonage4-screens-16-1598560032973_pzx6.1080.jpg

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

That definitly looks like a release in 2021!

Wow more concept art and no game-play yet for a game that's been in development for years already. I'm sensing they are either afraid to show footage or being cautious.

As the BioWare brand is tarnished and on thin ice with their EA overlords nowadays.

Well they need to wait for the exact right length of time to fully milk that nostalgia market.

Just looking at the concept art, I think it's pretty good. I definitely find it evocative, and could imagine it being helpful if you were working on the game. I like that city with the sort of Persian domes, and the uplighting. A sense of place does a lot for me in an RPG.

Well in my experience the concept art never looks or matches most of the game. I used to buy collector editions with art books for JRPGs, and they never matched one bit.:(

Last edited:
Yeah, but I don't think the intention is usually to be a visual target for the finished game. But I reckon they're still very useful for a project. I think the writers and level designers would find it really helpful, even if the game was a low-budget isometric look in the end.

Concept art is incredibly important for many reasons during the process of creating a game like Dragon Age, and sharing it does not represent the stage of development the game is in. Probably it just means that those who are working on it find it extremely inspiring, or that it defines the general mood of the game really well, and they want to share that with the public.

Hopefully, we'll get some in-game game screenshots or trailers sometime soon, but I for one am quite pleased to see these pieces of art.

Concept art is incredibly important for many reasons during the process of creating a game like Dragon Age, and sharing it does not represent the stage of development the game is in. Probably it just means that those who are working on it find it extremely inspiring, or that it defines the general mood of the game really well, and they want to share that with the public.

Hopefully, we'll get some in-game game screenshots or trailers sometime soon, but I for one am quite pleased to see these pieces of art.
Wish I and your enthusiasm as Dragon Age 4 has been almost rebooted twice, and in development before Anthem was even released. That's a large gap since DA:I in 2014.

Almost eight years to be precise. Doubt anyone is left at BioWare from past games.

Indeed, nothing tells those pieces of concept art have been recently created.

Perhaps it's also a way to maintain a presence in the media, we can start getting excited once their posts become more frequent and include rendered scenes. ;)

Perhaps it's also a way to maintain a presence in the media, we can start getting excited once their posts become more frequent

Lol, I sure can imagine.

Meanwhile, I saw the latest vid from splattercat gaming last night on Youtube & apparently the aRPG Sands of Aura was released yesterday, if you fancy a little scoop on your news posting rivals - though no idea if it will interest anyone of course.

I do like the one with the city as well. From what I remember there wasn't really a city in DA:I (My memory might be failing me here). I love a good city to explore in my cRPG's.

I kind of wish there was a DA with more detailed turn-based combat. The DA:I system got old in a hurry, despite the fancy effects.

Nice art though. Some interesting-looking locales.

Favored terrain: Urban
Favored terrain: Extra Urban

We're back to DA2.

DA2 was the first thing I thought of when I saw those.

There's more variety in the other art photos if you follow the link though. Some of them are quite nice, but a few of them had me scratching my head.

This game feels like it's been in development for years now, and again, the only thing I keep seeing posted is artwork. Nothing ingame. I wonder if it truly does exist. :D

But seriously, they obviously announced the game way way too early, probably to stem the tide of negative impressions and opinions on the company. Probably even to affect the stock value of EA/Bioware.

I wonder if it started life as another Anthem-like bit of business. But, since then, EA has realised that although games-as-a-service are the most profitable, it doesn't turn out so well if you turn your entire portfolio to producing that sort of thing. I do hold out a bit of hope that EA may have realised that the best use of Bioware is to let it do its thing. It may not be the Bioware of old, but I think they could definitely still be making the types of game I enjoy.

I wonder if it started life as another Anthem-like bit of business. But, since then, EA has realised that although games-as-a-service are the most profitable, it doesn't turn out so well if you turn your entire portfolio to producing that sort of thing. I do hold out a bit of hope that EA may have realised that the best use of Bioware is to let it do its thing. It may not be the Bioware of old, but I think they could definitely still be making the types of game I enjoy.

Someone on Bioware's staff once referred to it as "Anthem with dragons" if that tells you anything.

That was before EA let the team have their way and allowed them to ditch the multiplayer aspects that were planned. This was originally published in February so you might have seen it already. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...e-4-away-from-eas-online-multiplayer-mandate/

I'm afraid Bioware has long stopped being Bioware. Every company is basically a branding label, and they want us to believe the company (culture, way of working, etc) is more important than the people. And that when people leave, you need not worry that they can't produce the same quality work they did in the past. Of course, this is bullshit. It's hard enough to build something of quality when all the best/willing people are there. If sufficient people leave, then it's obviously a very different company/team.

Back
Top Bottom