Kingmaker Have you Pathfinder peoples tried out turn-based mode?

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I have finished it with TB mode, it felt to me like the supposed way to be played. And the best part is that you can disable it on the fly by pressing 1 button, so you dont have to delay your progress with trivial fights.

Last edited:
Will the turn based mode work with existing saves? I put this game on the shelf quite some time ago, and if the turn based feature is useable with older saves, it would likely get me back to the game quicker.

Will the turn based mode work with existing saves? I put this game on the shelf quite some time ago, and if the turn based feature is useable with older saves, it would likely get me back to the game quicker.

Affirmative. You can enable/disable it at will anytime.

Time to revive an older thread! I returned to this game after a two year break, and quickly enabled the turn based option. I was able to remember most of what I was working on at the time, namely because I'd stopped in the middle of some huge troll quest, so working on concluding that now.

Time to revive an older thread! I returned to this game after a two year break, and quickly enabled the turn based option. I was able to remember most of what I was working on at the time, namely because I'd stopped in the middle of some huge troll quest, so working on concluding that now.
Glad you made it back :)

How far in the game are you?

When I stopped over two years ago, I was in the middle of exploring some kind of troll threat. My guys are level six/seven, and today we just went through some troll lair, and recruited some gnome guy that seems like he might make for a nice kingdom treasurer. I'm really enjoying the turn based aspect, now back to exploring the map with me!

In my playthrough I rushed the second chapter too fast and never got the gnome, had to make an alchemist NPC to replace him.

I didn't do a full playthrough until the turn based mod so I only played it that way, and it was a joy until House at the End of Time (but that didn't ruin the overall experience.) One thing the mod did better than the official turn based mode (at least the very little I tried it, correct me if I'm wrong here) was that the mod sped up combat speed for the enemy units on their turn, whereas in the official you had to wait their full animation.

For all its flaws, Kingmaker was easily the best "Baldur's Gate spiritual sequel" that everyone was pitching for a while. In my humble opinion. You could feel the love that went into it. Someone should mod that ending tho, ugh, what a slog.

When I stopped over two years ago, I was in the middle of exploring some kind of troll threat. My guys are level six/seven, and today we just went through some troll lair, and recruited some gnome guy that seems like he might make for a nice kingdom treasurer. I'm really enjoying the turn based aspect, now back to exploring the map with me!
Ah, literally the troll part (3rd chapter, counting the prologue), that's right. That's becoming interesting character-wise at those levels, they really start to develop their potential. And the plot gets more and more interesting too!

The kingdom management should start to slow down the main quest at some point, at least that's what I saw. You have to make it advance enough to trigger the start of each next chapter, and past mid-game it often took me a while to reach that trigger, it was noticeable in ch5. Not a big deal. But I never put it on AUTO, since it's potentially game-breaking. It's safer to have "Invincible kingdom", however.

I didn't do a full playthrough until the turn based mod so I only played it that way, and it was a joy until House at the End of Time (but that didn't ruin the overall experience.) One thing the mod did better than the official turn based mode (at least the very little I tried it, correct me if I'm wrong here) was that the mod sped up combat speed for the enemy units on their turn, whereas in the official you had to wait their full animation.
You can press SPACEBAR to speed up the animations until the next party's character.

Yes, HatEoT wasn't my favourite part either. There is fun and it's an interesting part but it's just a bit long. That's where I switched back to RTwP to make it faster (I was around 210-220 hours of play for this run already, TB is fun but slow).

I have just started KM, and I started it in TB mode !
I'm really enjoying it.
It's my first playthrough.

The only disadvantage I see - but i guess that this can probably get changed in the settings somewhere - is the speed of the enemies' actions.
It's a little bit too fast for my taste.

@Carnifex; and @Alrik Fassbauer;, I forgot to mention: there's a little bug in TB, every now and then it would remain stuck with nobody able to take action. Mostly at the end of the battle, when it should actually end the battle, but sometimes in the middle of it when there are many participants.

There are two workarounds: 1) Open the bug form and close it (I think pressing F11 makes the bug button appear on the right, click on it, then ESC). That's the smoothest way. 2) Switch to real-time with pause, then back to turn-based. This reshuffles the initiative roll however, so it's more annoying.

AFAIK they never fixed that bug. It's not that often so don't worry.

Mosaic, is that the gnome guy that you rescue at some stream? I think he's the one that sent me to the dwarven fortress in the first place, I didn't add him to my team but I acquired his services as a treasurer after I played with the trolls for a while. I did recruit some ranger-type guy, as his alignment seems in snyc with mine, he replaced some twit of a bard that hardly pulled her weight, damage-wise. Sadly he's a level or two behind the rest, yet he's doing great damage so far, I found a pretty nice bow in the troll place.

Now I'm looking for some lost kid, it's sent me to some lizard area, so that's what I'll be exploring next!

Red, I've not experienced that glitch yet, thanks for the heads-up, at least I'll know what to do should it happen to me.

I have heard of one Gnome called Jubilost, but I don't know much more about him.

Mosaic, is that the gnome guy that you rescue at some stream? I think he's the one that sent me to the dwarven fortress in the first place, I didn't add him to my team but I acquired his services as a treasurer after I played with the trolls for a while. I did recruit some ranger-type guy, as his alignment seems in snyc with mine, he replaced some twit of a bard that hardly pulled her weight, damage-wise. Sadly he's a level or two behind the rest, yet he's doing great damage so far, I found a pretty nice bow in the troll place.

Jubilost is the charming guy you rescue when he's stuck in a river with his carriage, he's an alchemist, a gnome. There's a funny companion quest with him.

The ranger-type guy, is that Enkundayo? Is very handy with ranged attack and yes, he does massive damage, keep him :) He should have the same level though? Maybe that depends on the options you have selected, I kept my chars aligned to make it easier.

Last edited:
Yes, I have read elsewhere that Jubilost can "easily be missed".

Yes, I have read elsewhere that Jubilost can "easily be missed".
He's insufferably arrogant, sorry for the pun :D But he's clever and it is an interesting companion… once you get over his personality. He's definitely worth having, at least for the background and companion quests, but he's a talented advisor for the kingdom management too.

In combat, it was a bit alien to me because I'm not used to alchemist, so I haven't taken him often in the party. But it looks like he can be very useful there too.

Yeah I looked him over, alchemist is just too magey for me, I already have a mage so he's regulated to counting coins for now.

I found the little tyke earlier, so I'll have to see what's next on the agenda.

Back
Top Bottom