The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

My name is Frank, I'm a mathematician => I like this song:
[I Want to Live on an] Abstract Plain

Did me some digging today. One of the few Bedazzled releases I never got around to buying:

Jethro Tull has released a new album: "The Zealot Gene". Quite good IMO, it's definitely Jethro Tull.

Here's "Mrs Tibbets":

And (different from typic Tull, methinks) "Mine is The Mountain":

For some reason, which eludes me ATM, Martin Barre is not in the band.

pibbuR who

pibbuR who is puzzled by Martinn Barre for some reason, which eludes him (pibbuR), not being in the band.

PS. Something not completely (but somewhat) different: They've released an official video for Aqualung:

DS.

Porcupine Tree will release a new Album, Closure/Continuation in June.

A single titled "Harridan" has already been released:

pibbuR who thinks this is definitely no rehersal.

PS. Frankly, I didn't see this coming. While not expletely saying the band would never get back together, he considered the chance of that happeing close to zero in 2018. But here they are and I'm pleased. DS

I still like Gothic Rock

The Witching Hour UK - She's Alive

The Witching Hour UK - For Her Nightmare

I spent some of yesterday afternoon listening to three of Tull's earlier albums, then I fired up the newest release. Really great stuff, both the old and the new, this band still has the power to move us.

I spent some of yesterday afternoon listening to three of Tull's earlier albums, then I fired up the newest release. Really great stuff, both the old and the new, this band still has the power to move us.

Glad you liked it. I think it's surprisingly good, given that they haven't released anything new since 2003, and my general experience that bands tend to grow stale after oh so many ears. Perhaps they needed the break?

I also think that mr Anderson sings quite well. His voice isn't what it used to be of course - evident from their latest concerts before the break. But it works very well here. I guess the new songs are written with his current voice in mind. Or there's some technical stuff involved.

Why don't we give the watcher's another example "Shoshana Sleeping":

Classic Tull IMO.

pibbur whdo now, after retiring doesn't care where Saturday went.

PS. Regarding Martine Barre. Seems like the relationship soured when Anderson abruptly dissolved the band in (methinks) 2012. In an interview Barre said it would be hard for him to participate in a reuinon for instance if they were to be awarded Hall of Fame status (they're not). Don't know if it's of Waters/Gilmour or Gallagher magnitude, but they don't seem to be very good friends anymore. Sad, given that Barre was a major part of the band. DS.

PPS: Among the personnel on the latest Tull, we find a Hammond (Scott Hammond). Some of the elder watchers (including every incarnation of pibbur) will no doubt find this a bit amusing. DS.

EDIT: Here's an interview with Ian Anderson about. Martin Barre. A bit weird. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZDx-1qQDVo

Last edited:
This morning was simply gorgeous, the temperature is like twenty-five, sunny with a bit of wind. I know winter's not done, yet this is a clear reminder that spring isn't far away. So to celebrate the great weather I broke out Plush for the porch, their self-named album is outstanding.

Underappreciated songstress-

Another gorgeous day in Florida, it's almost thirty bloody degrees, and that means uber tunes on the porch, featuring Blood, Sweat and Tears today! I like their first albums in this order: Blood, Sweat and Tears, then Child is Father to the Man, and lastly, Blood, Sweat and Tears three. Anyway you slice it, most excellent tuneage!

I stumbled across this gem while looking for something else. Talk about a cover being vastly superior to the original song.

All About That Bass - Postmodern Jukebox

It's your fault, JDR-

This morning, after coming across this band while reading a book I just had to fire up some Canned Heat. On the Road Again is an excellent album, one that never gets old or dull for me!!

Today I broke out a band that I'm not that fond of anymore, since Gabriel left them, Genesis. I find Collins to be an average drummer, about the same as a singer, though an excellent producer. So the albums I listen to feature Gabriel as the singer, though he often shares that with Collins and others in the band.
There are three post-Gabriel Genesis songs that I do enjoy, however, those being Mama, Turn it on Again, and Abacab.

Back
Top Bottom