Phantom Doctrine - Mission Debriefing Trailer

Explanation from one of the devs on why there is no Steam preorders (he left this info on Codex):
"A word of explanation about the preorders: one of the biggest factor of sales on Steam is the top sellers rodeo. The longer you can hold out, the more it sells. Many people pick games up from top 10 top sellers. Eg. if your game holds out for 3 days - you've got a massive success on your hands. Top selling list is a self-fulfilling prophecy, basically. (Hard West was on the ferris wheel for about 10h, if I recall correctly)

Now: preorder sales don't count towards top selling stats; you have to be selling a lot and very recently, and most sales before launch are too distant to count. That's why it makes sense to build up a push for the moment of release.
Actually it's exactly the same with press embargos. The main reason you want that (except for cases when game is clearly shit) is to have your game all over the place at the same time. You want to flood the channels (sites, social, steam) with news of your game so players buy it at once, get you in the top selling moshpit.

ps. I'm sorry if anyones feels got hurt when observing how the sausage is made"

Instabuy, this is looking damn interesting. While I so love my "pure" RPG's these kind of Strategy-RPGs are my favourite. The greatest thing XCOM did was revitalizing the genre.

Thanks everyone for your answers :)

Guess I'll have to buy Phantom Doctrine's Steam version, if I want to get the additional 5% off for having Hard West:

"There will be no pre-order on Steam, but the -10% launch discount and a free upgrade to deluxe edition (soundtrack plus an artbook) for making a purchase between August 14th and August 28th applies to both GOG and Steam.

https://twitter.com/GoodShepherdEnt/status/1024716393651027968

You can also get another 5% discount if you own Hard West, but only if you own it on the same platform you are buying Phantom Doctrine on."

Anyway, that will be day 1 purchase for me. Literally speaking :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom