Elder Scrolls Online - Murkmire Review

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Elder Scrolls Online: Murkmire was reviewed by Sknr.

The main quests are some of the most interesting to come out of ESO in quite some time. Upon entering Murkmire you will meet an archaeologist named Famia, who's scouring the temples to find Argonian artifacts for her museum. Her heart is in the right place, wanting to preserve Argonian culture, but it is unfortunately at the expense of taking those artifacts out of The Black Marsh. The quests you embark on with (and often times for) Famia, have a Tomb-Raideresque feel, carefully tumbling and sneaking your way past various traps throughout the temples. This definitely gives the expansion a more Raiders of the Lost Ark vibe, as opposed to the traditional sword and sorcery feeling you get by playing Summerset Isles.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

With the short stint I had with the base game, I can also say the quests were surprisingly good. If only I could play this single player...

I had never even heard of this. Is it free DLC and is it only for high level players?

With the short stint I had with the base game, I can also say the quests were surprisingly good. If only I could play this single player…

You sort of can. Sure, you can't avoid seeing other players but the main quest line and the area quest lines are all meant to be played solo (apart from the world bosses, at least until you're sufficiently leveled/geared). If you can overcome that initial "hurdle" of seeing other players and just ignore them, then there is a huge "single player" game in ESO :)

I had never even heard of this. Is it free DLC and is it only for high level players?

It was actually "given" away during the November's "loyalty" login campaign (basically you get an item/bonus every day that you log in and I think it was the 20th day or so that reward was the Murkmire DLC). Other than that it is included in the subscription based ESO+ (which also applies to all the other DLC's) or you can purchase it with "crowns" (the in-game currency you can buy for real world money).

I like the Elite model where you can turn off the MMO aspect. If Fallout 76 offers this someday could also be worth a look. But yeah, the other players in ESO are horribly immersion breaking.

Nah, I can't see that happen for Fallout 76, since without human NPCs, etc. it would be pretty boring.

I can imagine it for ESO, because after all I heard, it's a decent game, the only thing stopping me from trying it is the online aspect.

You sort of can. Sure, you can't avoid seeing other players but the main quest line and the area quest lines are all meant to be played solo (apart from the world bosses, at least until you're sufficiently leveled/geared). If you can overcome that initial "hurdle" of seeing other players and just ignore them, then there is a huge "single player" game in ESO :)

Yeah, that was my problem. Other players jumping around with three pets in tow and glitter auras. Immersion where did you go?

Nah, I can't see that happen for Fallout 76, since without human NPCs, etc. it would be pretty boring.

The only reason we have this abomination is that Beth wanted to get a piece of that sweet MMO pie with its microtransactions. Hell will freeze over before they make that piece of crap single player playable (as boring as it would be).

Fun fact I saw a few days ago: A mostly white paint job for your power armor costs $19 in Beth Bucks. Just a reminder: The Blood & Wine expansion for Witcher 3 was $20…

Back
Top Bottom