Things you don't need to know...

I sure didn’t need to know that reaction.

One of our tabloids is named The Daily Express, but was known for quite a long time as The Daily Ex-Princess, on account of their great excitement for conspiracy-theory headlines about the unfortunate demise.

This is a thread about useless information, which includes trivial knowledge, geek stuff that may (or maybe not) be interesting to some of us, but of minor practical use to most of us. And completely ridiculous information, included to make fun of it. This particular post was meant as an example of that. Sad to say it didn't come across as clearly as intended. Anyhow, I don't want to confuse or offend anybody, so I deleted the post.

Last edited:
thatescalatedquickly.jpg

From where I am looking at it, there was no need to do that Pibbur. You explained the purpose of this thread very well and that post fitted the purpose of this thread.

This is a thread about useless information, which includes trivial knowledge, geek stuff that may (or maybe noefot) be interesting to some oof us, but of minor practical use to most of us. And completely ridiculous information, included to make fun of it. This particular post was meant as an example of that. Sad to say it didn't come across as clearly as intended. Anyhow, I don't want to confuse or offend anybody, so I deleted the post.
No need to delete the post pibbur.

Your posts are always interesting even if I don't respond to them.
I read.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I just noticed that the Piranha bytes subforum has by far the most threads of them all (1300 vs <400 for the other devs/franchises). Does that mean that we love Piranha the most? I wouldn't oppose that conclusion.

In 1976, Steve Jobs wanted Commodore to buy the Apple II and to hire him with Steve Wozniak. But he was asking for a very high price and Jack Tramiel tried to get a low price by first refusing, misjudging the potential. There are a few variations depending on who's telling the story, but if that deal had gone further, we would have had 2 big early PC companies instead of 3: Commodore and Tandy Radio Shack.

It's also without counting Mike Markkula, who wanted to having his own computer and invested in the two Steves. But still, it was close and makes one wonder how it would be today.

Instead, the Apple II and the Commodore PET were shown at the WCCF in 1997, and the TRS-80 was launched a little later the same year. Crazy times :)

I guess we now have 102 things to do with a dead cat!! :)

From another discussion on Codeproject, this one about several aspects of coffee devices: https://www.codeproject.com/Messages/5775362/Bean-to-cup-machines-Coffee-of-course

I especially direct you to how to make schnaps which seems to be a combination of coffee and C2H5OH:

Schnaps comes in three strengths:

1. The weak: You place a coin the the cup, pour coffee until you no longer can see the coin, then add spirit until you again can see the coin.
  2. The medium strength: You place a sugar cube in the cup, pour coffee until you no longer can see the sugar cube, then add spirit until you again can see the sugar cube.
  3. The strong: You place a coin in the cup and pour spirit until you no longer can see the coin.
For option 3, I recommend gin.

The thread also contains other potentially useless info about said devices.

he who (officially) is not here.

PS. A related subject: How to make coffee (from a Lucky Luke magazine): To make good coffee, suspend 1/2 kg coffee into a bit of water. Make it boil for 2 hours, then throw in a horse shoe. If the shoe sinks, add more coffee.
DS.

Last edited:
When you say coffee, are you referring to that abomination known as 'instant' coffee, are do you mean the REAL thing made from freshly ground beans? :)

PS. A related subject: How to make coffee (from a Lucky Luke magazine): To make good coffee, suspend 1/2 kg coffee into a bit of water. Make it boil for 2 hours, then throw in a horse shoe. If the shoe sinks, add more coffee.
DS.
I suspect that's how Archimedes discovered the eponymous principle, except he didn't have a horseshoe, all he had was a gold crown…

(PS: yes, I know that's not how it happened)

A despicable piece of news from CBSS:

Retired mathematician fixes bikes for hundreds without charging a dime

Nice if it was true, but it's obviously not. Fake news. Why? BECAUSE HIS WORKSHOP IS TIDY! Believe me - THAT NEVER HAPPENS!

an incarnation of pibbur who knows this from experience

PS. The report doesn't say anything about what his mathematical interests were, and I couldn't find anything on google. But since he's now (allegedly) dedicating his life to practical tasks, I assume it can't be pure mathematics. DS

Finally we've got some irrelevant information from ozzieland (not Osborne) again, although, sorry to say, it's not connected to the favourite sports down under, such as water-polo or the-shortest-distance-between-you-and-dangerous-animals competitions,
But. Australian bowler Shane Warne claimed that he had "nightmares" at the thought of bowling to Sachin Tendulka. Which is a bit strange, since mr Tendulka is mainly interested in throwing things at people standing in front of peculiarly arranged (like Stonehenge) pieces of wood.

A despicable piece of news from CBSS:

Retired mathematician fixes bikes for hundreds without charging a dime

Nice if it was true, but it's obviously not. Fake news. Why? BECAUSE HIS WORKSHOP IS TIDY! Believe me - THAT NEVER HAPPENS!

an incarnation of pibbur who knows this from experience

PS. The report doesn't say anything about what his mathematical interests were, and I couldn't find anything on google. But since he's now (allegedly) dedicating his life to practical tasks, I assume it can't be pure mathematics. DS

Fixing bikes is merely applied mathematics, nothing more. ;)

Back
Top Bottom