Steam Download speeds

Yeah, checked all the common themes since I actually work in IT. Nothing stands out.

Just saw something I've never seen before: Steam stopped a download! I was pulling down Doom (should be a good Halloween break from Pathfinder) and the download speed dropped, and dropped, and stopped, and then Steam stopped trying, scheduling the download for sometime in the wee hours.

I put it in the download queue again and speeds were super slow (20 kilobits per second) but sped up over the next ten minutes - eventually hitting 642Mb/s, which is a very good clip. Steam went from "so slow we aren't even going to try" to "blazingly fast" over just half an hour!

Zloth, I've seen similar things happen to me when I attempt downloads on, say, the weekend versus a Monday/Tuesday morning. Now, I try to plan ahead and simply avoid installing a new product during the weekend via steam. Oddly, I don't see a similar issue with great old games.

No issues with download speeds, but am I the only one who hates the new Steam library GUI? Does anyone know if there's a way to revert back to the old GUI?

I can't complain about Steam download speeds here. Steam usually downloads using the maximum DL speed allowed by my ISP. Now, when talking about EPIC Store download speeds... oooof! It's a real pain, I can't even figure why it is so slow...

No issues with download speeds, but am I the only one who hates the new Steam library GUI? Does anyone know if there's a way to revert back to the old GUI?
There's no way back - it's basically a web page.

I kinda like it now that I've been using it for a while (and they got rid of the spoilery "community" stuff showing up). What's not to like?

Aye, the new steam library thing is almost non-functional for me, and I've spent probably an hour trying to figure out how to go back to how it was. It's such a drastic and unnecessary change that I suspect I'll cling even harder to great old games.

I don't get what's supposed to be wrong with it?? The left side is the same as ever. The library page itself more info on it.

New library sucks horribly, so much wasted space and little useful information. Achievement stuff I don't care about splattered everywhere. Games' pages don't even have news on the game now, it seems you have to go to Community Hub -> News, unless I'm missing something. (Might only apply to news that was posted before the new library went into effect?)

Haven't had any download speed problems with Steam though, started Disco Elysium a couple days ago and I remember when I did the Steam install, it pulled it down at 90 MB/sec... 11.5GB game in about 2 minutes, can't complain.

What's installed are the games in bright white text on the left side. That's just like it was before. Was there some other way of seeing installed games?

News is definitely there, too, on each game's library page. I'm looking at Endless Space 2 now and can see a few news items, some achievements I got months ago, and screenshots I've done. If I click the 'more' button, the news goes back to mid-May. Down the right I've got "friends who play," Achievements (now with sparkles!), Trading Cards, DLC, Steam Workshop, screenshots, and a spot to write my review.

The Library home, meanwhile, has news for various games. Oh look, news from Dota 2! Just what I didn't want! So I'll right click on it and tell Steam to do less of it. Poof! Gone!

Oh, one thing I think every RPG gamer is likely to need: go to the settings, Library, and check the checkbox to disable community content. That keeps any spoiler'ish screenshots from popping in unless they come from your friends.

What's installed are the games in bright white text on the left side. That's just like it was before. Was there some other way of seeing installed games?

The old font/UI was far more noticeable.
xcARVX7.jpg

I'll be sticking with the above noted reversion until Steam refines this current Mobile UI further.

I suspect steam will revert back to how it was, or at least give us the options to do so at some point. I watched the above video on how to revert the library yourself, but I'm afraid I'd wind up doing more harm than good.

My current connection is so slow I can't possibly say if there's anything wrong with Steam speeds :(

The old font/UI was far more noticeable.
Looks like the not-installed is just a tad brighter now than it used to be. If you can't see the difference now, though, you've done something really weird with your monitor. Uninstalled is easily half as bright as installed.

Just found some interesting news on my library page, too!

News is definitely there, too, on each game's library page. I'm looking at Endless Space 2 now and can see a few news items, some achievements I got months ago, and screenshots I've done. If I click the 'more' button, the news goes back to mid-May. Down the right I've got "friends who play," Achievements (now with sparkles!), Trading Cards, DLC, Steam Workshop, screenshots, and a spot to write my review.
Don't have Endless Space 2 in my library but here's a few I've checked:

Pillars of Eternity II: no news at all shows up on the Steam library page, but you can see it all by going to Community Hub -> News

Pathfinder: Kingmaker: the only news that shows on the library page is the 2 recently-posted items, for everything else you have go to Community Hub -> News

Disco Elysium: news for the last 2-3 weeks is on the library page, but nothing older.

Don't see any "more" button on any of them, by the way. Maybe it's just the retarded Millennial UI that's confounding me somehow.

Oh, one thing I think every RPG gamer is likely to need: go to the settings, Library, and check the checkbox to disable community content. That keeps any spoiler'ish screenshots from popping in unless they come from your friends.
Wow, that's a huge improvement at least.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker: the only news that shows on the library page is the 2 recently-posted items, for everything else you have go to Community Hub -> News
Interesting. I'm playing it so I have a bunch of screenshots and achievements popping up but I've also got news items going back to July 22's 2.0.6 patch. I've got nothing for PoE2, though, same as you. <shrug>
Wow, that's a huge improvement at least.
Yeah, I hated the interface when that community stuff posted by default.

Recent Kingmaker news is showing up on its page now, but it wasn't when I made my last post. I'd guess the devs themselves have to do something to make news appear on the new library pages, and Obsidian hasn't done it.

Back
Top Bottom