Phoenix Point - Launches December 3rd

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gematsu reports that Phoenix Point will release December 3rd on PC, Q1 2020 for Xbox One, and later in 2020 for PS4.

Phoenix Point will launch for PC via the Epic Games Store on December 3 at 10:00 a.m. PT / 1:00 p.m. ET, followed by Xbox One in Q1 2020 and PlayStation 4 later in 2020, developer Snapshot Games announced.

[...]
More information.

Good news but seems I forgot it's another Epic Exclusive.:(

Looking forward to this one quite a bit.

Always loved the Gollop brothers. I wonder what happened to the other one?

Not only did they invent an entire genre with the original X-Com - they also managed to make it absolutely superb in their first go.

How rare is that.

X-Com is probably in my top-3 games of all time.

Looking forward to this one quite a bit.

Always loved the Gollop brothers. I wonder what happened to the other one?

Not only did they invent an entire genre with the original X-Com - they also managed to make it absolutely superb in their first go.

How rare is that.

X-Com is probably in my top-3 games of all time.

Absolutely agree. I would probably go so far as to call it my top game of all time, if not in all it does then at least in all it tried to do, and it's STILL a better game (IMO) than almost everything that has been released after it.

Also, welcome back Dart! Again. Again. Again?

Absolutely agree. I would probably go so far as to call it my top game of all time, if not in all it does then at least in all it tried to do, and it's STILL a better game (IMO) than almost everything that has been released after it.

Also, welcome back Dart! Again. Again. Again?

Yes, it's absolutely superb all things considered :)

As for the amount of times I've left and come back.... I've lost count.

Yes, it's absolutely superb all things considered :)

As for the amount of times I've left and come back…. I've lost count.

If nothing else, it's always fun to see what new aliases you come up with. But you do realise you *can* take a break without actually deleting your account every time? ;)

I'm very looking forward to this - after it is non-Epic-exclusive anymore. Still have to play XCOM 2 anyway...

Another obsolete/retired developer trying a cashgrab based on an old success in a world where making successful games wasn't 1/10th as challenging as it is now, both because of lack of competition, and lack of a critic/demanding public.

This kind of situation seems to be a plague these days. Calling this game a major failure already, with 7/10 scores at best.

Another obsolete/retired developer trying a cashgrab based on an old success in a world where making successful games wasn't 1/10th as challenging as it is now, both because of lack of competition, and lack of a critic/demanding public.

This kind of situation seems to be a plague these days. Calling this game a major failure already, with 7/10 scores at best.

Ooooh, how very edgy of you. I assume you've tried the game already then? Observe I'm not stating it will be a huge success since I couldn't possibly know, but I certainly hope it will be a great game. Guess I'll see when I actually play it.

Nobody should give this scamming company any money.
Even today they promise Steam and GOG keys on their Fig page and there is no mention of Epic exclusivity.
They offered giving back pledges, but I got only 60% or 70% of my initial amout back.

I'm happy to support them and I'm not terribly invested which icon is in my tray when I click my shortcut.

I grew up with games taking 30 minutes to load on tape, and that's if all went well :)

To me, the game looks like an actual evolution of X-Com - instead of devolving it like the modern games did for the most part. Except for the RPG aspects of the characters, which I concede was a big improvement.

However, this looks like it has a proper strategic layer - which is what X-Com should have, and not just a boardgame map where you click obvious destinations.

Beyond that, I like how they're handling combat and targeting - as well as the nuances of the new action point system.

I also happen to be a sucker for anything Lovecraftian.

I think this has the potential to be a great game, though nothing is certain.

If nothing else, it's always fun to see what new aliases you come up with. But you do realise you *can* take a break without actually deleting your account every time? ;)

I've tried that quite a few times. Didn't work for me, sadly.

If games are 10X as challenging to make today, maybe that explains why just about every game today still sucks compared to X-COM. :lol:

I'm not sure games are more challenging to make today :)

In fact, I'd say it's easier than ever for smaller developers.

That said, if you want to compete in the AAA segment, it's extremely challenging in terms of meeting a certain aesthetic standard - which takes a ridiculous amount of manpower compared to what used to be the case.

But for a low-to-medium budget title like Phoenix Point - it's definitely easier than ever.

Making GOOD games, though, is an entirely different thing. Impossible to quantify.

If it was possible to quantify quality entertainment - we'd have nothing else.

If games are 10X as challenging to make today, maybe that explains why just about every game today still sucks compared to X-COM. :lol:

That reason has a well known and researched name. Rosy Retrospection.

In general, things are great when they happen at the right time, and only then. There won't be a new Baldur's Gate experience, or X-Com experience, or WoW Classic experience, to start with because you aren't the same person you were 10, 15 or 20 years ago. There will be new things that probably will be as good or better, but only if you allow yourself to enjoy them. Those other things all happened in a time in the past that will never return, and that your brain tricked you into believing that they were better than they are because human beings strive to relive what worked well for them as a mechanism for comfort and survival.

This is the reason why younger people can't get into X-Com, Baldur's Gate or WoW Classic and veterans tend to dismiss them "pfeh.. you don't know what's good". Like your grandad surely did to you plenty of times. "Computers? You don't know what's good.. I could spend a whole evening busy and happy with just a rope and a cloth ball". Turns out, the unbiased party is the one which knows what's good, and that's definitely not games with obsolete controls, UIs and gameplays that aren't playable without an excessive dose of rosy retrospection.

Yeah, it's not like WoW Classic could ever happen again :)

Also, let's take Godfather to the rosy test? Bah, that movie was great in the 70s - because I was different back then.

Well, ok I wasn't born when it was released. So, it can't possibly be one of my favorite movies today. That would sort of disprove this ridiculously simplistic theory of yours.

Nah, gameplay is one of those things that evolve last. Visuals, UI and technology in general? Sure - but game design is slow as hell when it comes to true evolution.

Some game designs have hardly evolved at all over the past 25 years - and X-Com is an excellent example of that. System Shock would be another example.

In fact, I'd argue that the recent modern iterations took a few steps back and perhaps one step forward.

Visually, the original X-Com is extremely rough - but the design is fantastic, and since no other game has been released to really push it forward, it's still pretty much the gold standard.

Phoenix Point wouldn't have to do that much beyond evolve the look of the assets - and it would likely be a hit with fans of the genre.

Based on what I've seen, they go beyond that - and so it's almost certain to be worth checking out.

As for "younger" people. Do you presume to speak for all of them? Because your claim sounds like a convenient assumption.

There are all kinds of younger people - and I'm absolutely convinced a lot of them would love playing X-Com if it got a facelift to modern standards.

In fact, you could sort of argue that's already happened with the modern X-Com games - even if they're somewhat simplified.

I'm afraid your theory doesn't hold water.

I thought this was Sci-fi. What's Lovecraftian about it?

I must admit I haven't been following it very closely.

The enemies are deliberately Lovecraftian - and they "dominate" the ocean.

At least, that was how Gollop originally presented it.

This is from the wiki:

Phoenix Point is set in 2047 on an Earth in the midst of an alien invasion, with Lovecraft-inspired horrors on the verge of wiping out humanity. Players start the game in command of a lone base, Phoenix Point, and face a mix of strategic and tactical challenges as they try to save themselves and the rest of humankind from annihilation by the alien threat.

I'm not sure just how Lovecraftian the game will be beyond that, and it's not the primary reason for my interest.

I just love that there will be elements of that - and the more the better.

I've done my best to stay away from news - so as to keep it fresh upon release.

Back
Top Bottom