Phoenix Point - Video Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The RPG Division checked out Phoenix Point:

XCOM, is that you (REVIEW) - PHOENIX POINT

My thoughts on Phoenix Point, newly released tactical strategy game that is spiritual successor of XCOM games from the 90's.
More information.

annoyingly unbalanced and lacking polish, still pretty fun though

Well…..Expect a lot of patches, both for bug fixes and new content.

There are still placeholder images in the day one release.:rolleyes:

He said pre-launch version very buggy but they fixed most of the bug on launch.
-
My take on his review is the design is really good but the game is budget constrained (i.e, needs more map; better animations; better sound, ...). He loves the aiming system and the multiple bases as well as changes to geo-scape. He thinks it will be much better after a bit of patches and dlcs but right now he gives it 6/10.

Not talking about his review. Sharing my opinion on the day one release.

So to recap a buggy mess, uses place holders, and has missing audio files.

Bottom-line this game was already delayed a year and it's a mess.

So Epic is sponsoring beta testing before real release at Steam? Admirable charity.

So Epic is sponsoring beta testing before real release at Steam? Admirable charity.
Even if you ignore bugs... Epic is sponsoring an unfinished game, while people who wait for the Steam release will get to play the full game with all 5 DLCs integrated.

I've got it installed and was planning on actually playing around with it this afternoon, but have to say my expectations have been lowered quite a bit by the things I've heard and read so far. Still looking forward to it though.

I've got it installed and was planning on actually playing around with it this afternoon, but have to say my expectations have been lowered quite a bit by the things I've heard and read so far. Still looking forward to it though.

Same here. Had it installed since yesterday, but I've had very little time for gaming this week. I'm not expecting to be blown away by it either. This sounds like a game that the devs will be tweaking for months.

I have been watching streams since release and I have not really seen any bugs. Only one is that sometimes when you overwatch your character will not step out correctly and will shoot into cover you didn't expect (like you own). But I have seen that maybe twice and it can be avoided by good placement of your character and overwatch cone.

And both graphics and sounds are good. Music is very UFO and excellent and atmospheric. On hardest the game also seems hard enough to be a challenge and fun to experienced Xcom players. Also unlike Xcom 1 and Xcom 2 there is way less bullshit situations where enemies murder you through full cover and smoke from half the map away or you missing enemies from close range with 90% chance to hit.

If you lose soldiers it was 90% of the time your own fault (you either made bad tactical moves or you got in over your head and should have retreated from the mission - like one streamer that took his 4 man team go into Medium strength mission and got wrecked).

I will install and try to play it over this weekend and report how it feels to play as well. I hope my older PC can run the game well enough.

I've played for a couple of hours and certainly have found some bugs (one of which actually made me consider waiting for at least the first patch), some minor annoyances and plenty of weird UI decisions. I'm pretty sure I'm hooked though, for all these faults there's quite a lot more to like. I don't think anyone is making a mistake by waiting for them to polish it up though, but I'm already past the point of no return. Just one more turn right?

Last edited:
But what about us who will receive a gog key ?
You, too, get the completed version of the game right off the bat, instead of the preview version that Epic buyers are playing :lol:

On hardest the game also seems hard enough to be a challenge and fun to experienced Xcom players.

Streamers play on legendary.

Streamers who completed a run (and failed) have like a zero loss and a very low casualty records.

As expected, they did not fail because of the difficulty of the product but because of lack of tabs on the campaign flow, they fell behind the story progression curve without knowning.

Apart from one mission, still have to watch one streamer failing a mission.

They have lost the campaign without failing one mission.

And this includes streamers who did not even know what basic attributes relate to.

But of course this means steam user must thank steam users since most epic users are steam users. also same steam users can curse epic for using a bribe to delay steam release....
Epic and their customers. Steam users must be grateful. They will owe to Epic and their customers.

But of course this means steam user must thank steam users since most epic users are steam users. also same steam users can curse epic for using a bribe to delay steam release….

No.

The result of two centuries plus of institutionalized double standard.

Involved users are users who buy the product. Buying or using Steam for another product does not channel resources towards this product.

A Steam release will not have channelled as much resources toward the product for Steam cut. It is larger than Epic's cut.

Product needed Epic money. Release on Steam would have meant a worse product.

No.

The result of two centuries plus of institutionalized double standard.

Involved users are users who buy the product. Buying or using Steam for another product does not channel resources towards this product.

A Steam release will not have channelled as much resources toward the product for Steam cut. It is larger than Epic's cut.

Product needed Epic money. Release on Steam would have meant a worse product.

This assumes you know how much of that extra money went toward the product and how much of it went toward their pockets.

Back
Top Bottom