F:NV Best mod manager?

Fallout: New Vegas

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
What's the best mod manager nowadays? I'm toying with the idea of a FO:NV playthrough soon, and I've started looking at a few mods.

I know there's FOMM, Nexus Mod Manager, and Mod Organizer, but I'm not sure what the differences are or if one is significantly better than the others.

Last time I played modded New Vegas, I used Wrye Bash and it worked well. It can also be used to merge patches and that sort of thing, which is important, so it's kind of an all in one. I've also used FOMM, which IIRC was useful because some mods were packaged for it, but otherwise it was nothing special.

Nexus Mod Manager was not regarded as being good for Fallout games, at all, but they've had several versions since I was paying attention, so things may have changed. People liked Mod Organizer for profiles, but it was buggy and I heard more horror stories about it than I did about any other mod manager.

I still oscillate between FOMM and NMM. Just download NMM off github yesterday actually.

I'm fairly comfortable with how modding in Gamebryo works, so I view all the virtualization BS of Mod Organizer and the new Vortex manager as an unnecessary hoop to jump through. There are people who think they're great - but I just don't need all the extras in those mod managers.

Thanks. I'll probably just go with FOMM then. Is it still being updated?

Anyone use Josh Sawyer's mod for FO:NV? If so, would you recommend it? I'm thinking about adding that to make hardcore mode a little harder. The only thing that puts me off is the reduced level cap and the massively reduced carry weight. I'm wondering if editing those things individually would interfere with anything else.

I have looked at the original mod's innards and it seemed ok - nothing too crazy. There's a new, more scripted (more compatible) version available here, though I have no personal experience with that version.

I always preferred MO when modding Skyrim. Mainly because it made a separate instance and keeps my Skyrim install clean. Unlike NMM which would dump all the mods in the Skyrim/data folder. It’s been a while since I’ve modded though so it might be different now.

I have looked at the original mod's innards and it seemed ok - nothing too crazy. There's a new, more scripted (more compatible) version available here, though I have no personal experience with that version.

Yeah, I saw that version too. I considered it, but I'm wary because it's from a fan who added his own personal tweaks to it.

I plan on sticking pretty close to vanilla since I've never actually finished NV. I'll probably run with the original Jsawyer mod along with a bugfix mod, UI tweaks, and maybe a texture mod if I can find a good one that doesn't change the style or add new stuff.

Mod Organizer if you're going to have medium to large mod list. Didn't try it with New Vegas but for all other Bethesda games it worked well and without problems.

Mod Organizer if you're going to have medium to large mod list. Didn't try it with New Vegas but for all other Bethesda games it worked well and without problems.

I'm not sure what would be considered a medium to large mod list for NV, but I doubt I'll have more than 10-15 mods installed.

Before installing any other mods I'd recommend those two: YUP (fix patches) and NVAC (anti crash).
New Vegas is more fun when it works.

Yep, I already planned on using YUP along with Unofficial Patch Plus. I'll probably throw in NVAC too, although I've never had a lot of crashes with NV.

I'm not sure what would be considered a medium to large mod list for NV, but I doubt I'll have more than 10-15 mods installed.

I would say medium is 20+ mods. At least for me. Up to 20 and I can generally remember what plays along/doesn't play along with what and what I need to do to make it work together. I usually don't use mod managers for that unless it's specifically recommended to do so.

In your case, I wouldn't use managers at all, but if you want to use one, my suggestion still stands. I just find Mod Organizer the easiest to use and the easiest to fix the game if I mess something up.

Yep, I already planned on using YUP along with Unofficial Patch Plus. I'll probably throw in NVAC too, although I've never had a lot of crashes with NV.
My install crashes often when I use max rez texture packs (like NMCs). Maybe I shouldn't...

Unless you're purposely using mods that overwrite each other, I'd go manager-less too with the number you're installing. I've used all of them and I think I used FOMM last time on FNV. I had 90+ mods though, including Willow. You should not use Willow in a survival game though. Go with Josh's mod and a few graphic and bug fix mods. You'll be golden.

Here's some texture mods to get you started, JDR
iFTTnwQ.png

...but in all seriousness, if I had to pick 3 texture mods and only 3, I would go with NMC's washed out wasteland, MGs Neat Clutter Retextures, and wasteland clothing hires.

I'd be interested in hearing what mod list you end up with, JDR.

I've never played FNV either and I am contemplating it. Like you, I'd like it to stick as close as possible to vanilla gameplaywise.

I'll keep you informed. I'm going to play The Outer Worlds first, but I'll probably start NV immediately after.

I'm also probably going to do a short test run with the JSawyer mod before I start playing NV in earnest. I'm not 100% sure if I want to use that mod, and I don't think it can be turned off once you've started a playthrough.

Stay ye away, from Vortex or whatsitcalled. Mod Manager is definitely the best, and you can learn how it works in a few minutes ( well ok, for Americans it takes about few hours ;) )
It's a lifesaver when it comes to identi-f-ying mod conflict. ( you can see it directly in load order)

And get you-know-who's flora overhaul.

Look at this cactus!

39856-1555395366-910893868.jpeg

Nice ad-vurt, bobo!

Back
Top Bottom