|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Michael Pachter explains why there are less single player games from Western Publishe

Default Michael Pachter explains why there are less single player games from Western Publishe

November 30th, 2017, 02:48
…rs

loading…

Basically it's because single player games make less money than multiplayer games because it is easier to sell microtransactions in multiplayer games. So publishers are dumping their single player devs and keeping their multiplayer devs.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 30th, 2017, 11:40
this derp again
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

November 30th, 2017, 17:47
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
this derp again
He has pretty bad predictions when it comes to sales, but he is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the ins and outs of the industry.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

December 2nd, 2017, 02:48
Yeah, the guy knows the industry very well. I watched him all the time back on GameTrailers.

Interesting that there's a lot fewer "next gen" consoles than last gen still. I would have thought they would have caught up by now. I wonder if that's mobile (and, to a smaller extent, PC) taking a bite out of the market?
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

December 2nd, 2017, 21:53
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Yeah, the guy knows the industry very well. I watched him all the time back on GameTrailers.

Interesting that there's a lot fewer "next gen" consoles than last gen still. I would have thought they would have caught up by now. I wonder if that's mobile (and, to a smaller extent, PC) taking a bite out of the market?
While mobile hasnt taken a bite out of the market, it has stunted its growth however.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

December 3rd, 2017, 12:36
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
Basically it's because single player games make less money than multiplayer games because it is easier to sell microtransactions in multiplayer games. So publishers are dumping their single player devs and keeping their multiplayer devs.
Sounds reasonable to me.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

December 3rd, 2017, 15:33
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Sounds reasonable to me.
Yeah, why else would all the big publishers keep pushing "micro-transactions" stuff. Hardly because they want to make games cheaper.

I don't even blame the publishers and developers, I blame the sheep who play the damn games and buy lootboxes…

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

December 4th, 2017, 13:22
Always revolves about the same thing: serve the master.

The thesis is horrendous and leaks from everywhere. It has one virtue: it protects the master.

The thesis does not explain how microtransactions are optional in SP products and even counterproductive to any player willing to play the product.
It does not explain how devs came to introduce MU in products that have no microtransactions and by design, are unfriendly to MU like UgoIgo products.

Devs are moving to MU products because this is what players desire. This site have echoed the demand much.

SP opens doors that can not be opened in MU. And reversely.

Players committed to SP tend to demand features that can only be delivered by SP and devs who are committed to pushing the exploration of SP gameplay further put an emphasis on features that are exclusive to SP gameplay.

Players have little interest in SP, nor in MU gameplay.

When asked how to improve Skyrim, they see MU as a must. Satellite reign must be completed by a MU mode etc

Players desire a SP product that can be played by multiple players at the same time and a MU product that makes other players not mandatory.

When players are given a SP product, one of the first questions is whether it has a MU/coop mode.
When they are given a MU product, one question is whether they can play it alone.

The micro transaction stuff is just business of opportunity (actually originated in the online dimension)

Publishers renegate on it fast, they have not dropped their game design though.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

December 9th, 2017, 21:42
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Always revolves about the same thing: serve the master.

The thesis is horrendous and leaks from everywhere. It has one virtue: it protects the master.

The thesis does not explain how microtransactions are optional in SP products and even counterproductive to any player willing to play the product.
It does not explain how devs came to introduce MU in products that have no microtransactions and by design, are unfriendly to MU like UgoIgo products.
Microtransactions are optional if you have unlimited time to play. If you dont and want to play the game at a satisfactory level, you have to pay.

Devs are moving to MU products because this is what players desire. This site have echoed the demand much.
You have to be kidding me, this site is the most anti multiplayer gaming I have seen.

SP opens doors that can not be opened in MU. And reversely.

Players committed to SP tend to demand features that can only be delivered by SP and devs who are committed to pushing the exploration of SP gameplay further put an emphasis on features that are exclusive to SP gameplay.

Players have little interest in SP, nor in MU gameplay.
This is simply not true. Kingdoms of Amalur is a game that combines a lot of Multiplayer gameplay in single player. There is no reason why single player gameplay cannot be used in multiplayer games, SWTOR is an MMO that has many Single player traditions.

When asked how to improve Skyrim, they see MU as a must. Satellite reign must be completed by a MU mode etc
Literally no one wants that for Skyrim.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

December 13th, 2017, 12:45
This site is told to be anti MU products yet displays posts calling for MU in Skyrim.

The examples of products providing MU while having no financial incentive (as depicted) are numerous, SV is one example among many others.

Players have little interest in SP. They do not ask exclusive to SP features. One of the first demands when a SP product is introduced is that it features a MU mode.
--

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

December 13th, 2017, 12:58
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Players have little interest in SP.
Little it might be.
But in my case SP is the ONLY interest.

I have another opinion.
Players have little interest in streaming. Players. Actual players. Those are not streamjunkies.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)

December 13th, 2017, 13:42
Another Fallout, Witcher or Elderscrolls single player game would clearly show the weakness in these assumptions. Try another Baldurs Gate.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 14th, 2017, 12:47
The next witcher might include MU features depending on the studio's next product.
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
But in my case SP is the ONLY interest.
No. MU is not compatible with SP. Beside, comments like players cheating in SP show also a lack of interest in SP. Nobody cheats in SP as a SP experience belongs to one player and one player only. Players do as they feel.
--

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Michael Pachter explains why there are less single player games from Western Publishe