Quantcast
Are there any games like Starflight on Steam? Or Spiritual Successors? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Are there any games like Starflight on Steam? Or Spiritual Successors?

Default Are there any games like Starflight on Steam? Or Spiritual Successors?

February 16th, 2018, 06:50
Remember Starflight? The game from back in the day when basically all you did was try to find mineral rich planets to mine and improve your ship with. You'd sometimes run into other beings too in your travels out in deep space.

Anyway, are there any games like this (or close to being like it) on Steam right now? Or Spiritual Successors?

Thanks!

Kelefane

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

February 16th, 2018, 07:06
Originally Posted by Kelefane View Post
Remember Starflight? The game from back in the day when basically all you did was try to find mineral rich planets to mine and improve your ship with. You'd sometimes run into other beings too in your travels out in deep space.

Anyway, are there any games like this (or close to being like it) on Steam right now? Or Spiritual Successors?

Thanks!
Star Control 2 would be the big one.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

February 16th, 2018, 11:36
I think "no" is the best answer.

I think stardock or someone was making a star control remaster but I really hated the scaling view combat in that game and they seem to be keeping that feature so my excitement is very low.

Star Control: Origins, it's called

(I played Starflight on the Amiga as a kid but I never won it. I found a black egg or something but…. Yeah, I don't really remember it very well. Just the code wheel every fucking time you wanna dock. Can't say I miss those days of horrible DRM)

SirJames

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

February 16th, 2018, 14:15
Star Explorers could turn out like Starflight. Its a bit rough at the moment through.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/50…tar_Explorers/

Its a bit like no mans sky but has more focus.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Yesterday, 02:13
The rights on Star Control are weird with the code being owned by one group and the IP by another, or some such freakiness. Anyway, the developers released Star Control 2 to the public domain long ago under the name Ur-Quan Masters. https://sourceforge.net/projects/urquanmastershd/

StarFLIGHT is an even older game from back in the days when EA games were auto-buy. Long enough ago that there's a ton of games that could trace back origins to this one. You can play StarFlight on the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Starflight_1986

Things you could call spiritual successors… well, all the Elite games for one, including Elite: Dangerous. Egosoft's X games would fit, too. So would Evochron, I think. Even No Man's Sky could fit.

Just what specifically was it that you enjoyed about Starflight? That could tell us which spiritual successors you might like best.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Last edited by Zloth; Yesterday at 02:26.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Are there any games like Starflight on Steam? Or Spiritual Successors?