Omega Syndrome - final thoughts

narpet

Sentinel
In another post Corwin asked me what I thought of my experience with The Omega Syndrome. My answer is so long that I decided to make it a separate post, just in case anyone is interested... Here goes...

I have to honestly say that I've really enjoyed Omega Syndrome. It's by no means a perfect game, but its fun, and I never got bored.

Even though its setting has been done hundreds of times in movies and TV... and a few times in other games... it's actually quite a fresh change from either the usual fantasy or even sci-fi/post-apocalyptic type setting. It ties all the old conspiracy theories about UFOs and aliens together in a nice little story. I actually enjoy reading about that type of stuff (more for entertainment than necessarily believe any or all of it)... and the developer seems to have done his homework. He ties a lot of the really popular and some obscure theories and "stories" together really well.

The combat is done fairly well. The turn based mechanic works well (especially if you like turn based games), and you really need to figure out what type of weapon works best on each type of enemy.

Even though the story is well written and cohesively handled, the game is quite linear. There are a few side quests, but the game really (kind of) rides on rails. It's pretty easy to figure out what to do next. However, there are a few places in the game where you have several choices on how you can accomplish a goal, which gives the game a little bit more of a feel of freedom. But no matter what choice you make you're still going to get the same goal accomplished.

The last part of the game is insanely difficult (at least for me it was). I won't go into details, but I didn't feel as if my character was ready for what took place in the latter part of the game. I actually went back to some previously visited areas to try to find more to do and get more experience, but there was little to be had.

There are several NPCs that can join you in your mission, but they are controlled by the game and not you (though you can give them some general standing orders). That's nice in a way, but there are times when they do things that can hinder you more than helping you. AND they get killed... a lot. I tried reloading many times in order to keep my buddies alive, but eventually I would lose them. So I finally gave up and just pushed forward all by my lonesome.

If you were to play the game, and you were able to keep your friends alive, the end game would be much easier (though they would surely get wasted toward the end when it gets tough).

The game handles skills (both combat and other) and leveling your character very much like Fallout, which is nice. Items degrade with use and either have to be fixed (mechanic type skill) or replaced. The NPCs that you meet are well crafted and the dialog well written. There are even some quite comical things that happen.

Since the game developer compares the game play to Fallout I would say that in comparison, Omega Syndrome is the (much) weaker of the two. It's much shorter, and doesn't have the scope that Fallout has. But it does nail the atmosphere of a 1950's America where all the alien/UFO stories are true. And it is really fun.

I actually wish it would have been a bit longer, but for the price... and for the instant support that I received any time I needed help... it's quite worth the price of admission. And I'm not kidding about the support. David (the developer) took the time to fix problems as I found them, which allowed me to play the game without any real game stopping issues (sure I would find a problem, but after I informed him, David would have it fixed in less than a day - and I was back to playing like it never happened).

I recommend the game to turn-based, sci-fi RPG lovers. You're not going to get a Fallout level experience, but you should have fun, and find it a nice change of pace from what's on the market now.

Thanks Narpet, it's good to see a fair and well considered 'review' of the game.

Nice review, narpet. Anything turn based and as well implemented as you describe deserves all the support it can get.

Hi everyone,

I've started playing Omega Syndrome recently but am stuck already in the first area. The Hive, more specificially (greenish/brown thing that you get into from the secret base). I've explored the whole thing as far as I can tell, but I can't see an exit, nor anything else to interact with. I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could help me out, it's really hard to find help for OS.

I've never even heard of this game, but you got me curious about it.

I'm downloading the demo now… only 10 megs.

*Edit* Wow.. I just noticed the original date of this thread.

I've never even heard of this game, but you got me curious about it.

I'm downloading the demo now… only 10 megs.

*Edit* Wow.. I just noticed the original date of this thread.

You might be able to help me then if you finish the demo, it will probably not go any further than the area I'm stuck in but you might find the exit. Would be cool, I actually started over and went through the whole sector again. No luck :(

Have fun, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom