Batman: Arkham Knight

Yeah, it sounds like AK is still a poorly optimized game. That's a shame because it looked more than decent in the videos I've seen.

All the previous Batman Arkham* games (even Origins) have been good or even great, and this looks to be more of the same. Sadly the game is just not working properly. I do wonder if there is something more with the Batmobile that causes issues though, because there was some swinging between houses before that section, and while I would not call the framerate great, it was playable during this section. But as soon as the Batmobile showed up, everything just slowed down to a crawl, so there might be some issues with effects shown in or around the batmobile (some particle effect or something that is just not working as intended, and thus eats system power). I did not even have to move for the framerate to drop down to low 10's.
Luckily I did not pay for this game separately, but rather got it with my graphics card (good job finding a product to represent your card, Nvidia ;) ). Had I payed full price for it, I would have been far more unhappy with my purchase.

Performance seems to be really hit or miss. Some people are claiming a big difference with the new version while others claim little has changed.

This review of the re-release from Gamewatcher claims acceptable performance with only a GTX 660. That seems a little suspicious to me though.

Performance seems to be really hit or miss. Some people are claiming a big difference with the new version while others claim little has changed.

This review of the re-release from Gamewatcher claims acceptable performance with only a GTX 660. That seems a little suspicious to me though.

They have more ram than me. That might well be the deciding factor. I doubt it's the processor bit, considering it's a game designed for modern consoles (which means that they'll try to offload as much work as possible away from the processor, as for the first time in ages, the processor suddenly has become the limiting factor for consoles).

I actually bought the game before the whole thing exploded, and honestly I didn't have any performance issues, except a few low-res textures here and there. Like JDR13 said, it apparently is a hit and miss regarding performance.

They are recommending 12GB or more of system ram.

This is for Windows 10 specifically. I highly suspect that they should recommend more ram than they currently do for any OS though.

And I can't partake of the refund, as I did not get the game on Steam. So all I have to show for all of these issues is a sour taste in my mouth. I've contacted their support to see if they intend to compensate users who did not get the game on steam in some way, but I honestly don't expect them to even reply.

They probably don't consider fixing it worth the cost.

They probably don't consider fixing it worth the cost.
Yep but two failed PC ports in a year is nothing to be proud of. The one good thing about Steam refunds is that you can get your money back on bad ports.

Anyway according to the article the game sold 450,000 digital copies on the PC.

Those who can't refund just got a lesson for upcoming WB games.
No preordering and no buying till a very close friend confirms it ain't broken.

Anyone tried this, here?
Been thinking of picking this up, first, after I get new GPU. Also, just how many % game play is there of the Batmobile
(
Batcycle.jpg
) ?

Get the feeling people are exaggerating a bit about it.

Get the feeling people are exaggerating a bit about it.
Nobody is exaggerating Bobo the PC version is still a mess due to the poor PC port.

WB should be ashamed at this point even after patching it.:roll:

Couch my man, I was talking about Batmobile.
I know it's a pretty bad port, but as long as it carries over 30 fps, it will do.
Hell, I even finished Witcher II on my old laptop, smoothly sailing at ≈ steady 8 fps.

I've heard varying opinions. Some people are still claiming to have major problems while others claim to have few issues. It's largely dependent on your system configuration.

I just completed this game (on PS4) and while it is overall a good game there are a few things that one should know about.

The Batmobile is featured *a lot* in this game. There are both mandatory races on obstacle courses and many, many tank fights in the city. It is also used in more clever ways in some of the main story missions. But expect to be behind the wheel of that thing a lot.

Also worth knowing is that the game forces you to grind *a lot* before you can see the ending. I won't spoil the story, but the structure is such that there is a long "main quest" and 14 "side quests" you can undertake. Some of the side quests I found very enjoyable - those that were about capturing the villains we all know and love - but other are very "Ubisoft grindy". Once you complete the main storyline the game will force you to complete a quite high number of these side quests before you can see the ending cinematic. I ended up watching the ending on YouTube, which was incredibly annoying. But it was either that, or grinding for maybe 10 hours after the story was done.

So just some warnings, if that kind of stuff annoys you.

There are many cool and enjoyable parts of the game though...

$60 for the game, another $40 to pre-order the DLC, outlet-specific pre-order bonuses, Harley Q as a pre-order bonus… this one has "wait for the GotY edition" written all over it.
I love it when a plan comes together. ;) I got the embarrassment-of-the-year "premium" edition on Steam's winter sale for cheap. It's only $40 when not on sale at all.

I'm not playing with an FPS counter showing but, between a ton of patches for the game and my 1080GTX card, the game is running well enough. Nobody waded into the game to make a 3D profile for it so no 3D Vision this time, which is a pity.

The game started out pretty rough, though I think that's because how I chose to play it. There's a main story quest plus (initially) a couple of side quests. I tried going right after the side quests. Wrong answer. The first step can be done but other steps don't show up until you've progressed the main story. That left me searching the first island for things that weren't there. What's more, the tutorial is built into the main quest so I didn't even know I already had gadgets that were introduced later in the previous games. Once I got back on the main track it worked out better. I'm starting to wonder if I should have advanced the main quest to where all 3 islands are open then started on side quests but I haven't opened all 3 yet so I'm unsure on that.

They've added a good bit more to what Batman can do in a fight. It's actually starting to feel a little bit like the controls for a fighting game. That's a nice addition but it's giving the game a steeper learning curve. (Though you can still do not-terrible by simply pointing the camera toward bad guys and spamming the left mouse button, with the occasional right click when you're about to be hit.)

The DLC has added some short stories. These are TINY things but they do seem pretty neat so far. Playing as Harley Quinn is definitely very different from playing as Batman!

The character development is getting extensive, too. You'll be making a lot of choices about developing attacks, defense, gadgets, or the Batmobile. I think you really could get away with calling this an action RPG. (Or maybe an action JRPG, given how little choice you have in how the story plays out.)

One thing that's really getting to me is the setting. It's night and it's raining. Always. 17 hours of dreary is getting painful and I'm not even half way through. A bit of a shock after just finishing Valley.

Finished it. (Well, pretty much - I may pop back in and finish Harley's mini-story.)

I can't recommend it to most folks. If you liked Asylum and City quite a bit AND the game is on sale then it might be worth it but keep your blood pressure medication on hand. There are some really frustrating parts to this game.

More detailed review here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZlothX/recommended/208650/

Good to see another Dead or Alive fan around here. Go team Ayane!

Back
Top Bottom