Undertale - Review @ IGN

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IGN reviewed Undertale - and it got a perfect 10:

Undertale Review

Undertale’s clever understanding of the RPG mindset and fantastic writing make it an unforgettable experience unique to games.

I finished my first playthrough of Undertale in stunned silence. My journey had begun with dumb puns and silly puzzles, but the end affected me in a way I never expected. That’s kind of Undertale’s specialty — playing with our expectations of what an RPG should be, subverting them, and using them to drive a story unique to what games can do. Its strong writing, integration of gameplay with storytelling, and acute understanding of its audience all build to something that surprises at every turn.

[...]

The Verdict

It's hard to express just how much I adore Undertale without spoiling anything significant, but that's what I love about it. It tells its story in such a dynamic way, and with such a great understanding of the RPG player’s mindset, that it couldn’t have been told in any other way. It's a masterfully crafted experience that I won't forget any time soon.

Score: 10/10
It might not be pretty, but Undertale is absolutely a work of art.

More information.

It got such rave reviews that I bought it last year. I had a go once for a little bit and it really didn't grab me. I suspect my expectations were set sky high by all the "you'll never believe how good it is" reviews, so my first impression might not have been fair, but I didn't like the graphic style and found the conversations all a little too twee. Probably should try again sometime I guess, there still seems no end of people raving about it.

Ugh. Maybe there's a moving, deep experience I missed out on. But I tried this and it's simply not fun or engaging from the start. Sure… RETRO GRAPHICS! NOSTALGIA!

But c'mon, it's 2017. This game is a slog. And unless you read what a masterpiece it is, you'd never have gone more than a half-hour playing it.

It's a wank-fest for game writers, designers and nostalgia-buffs. But it ain't any fun to play.

Seriously, if you booted this up without the hype about it's artistic awesomeness... you'd never play past 30 minutes. Anyone disagree?

I never gave it a 2nd glance. I can't play poor graphic games anymore. I keep trying but just can't see the point. Something that has to look up graphically to RPG-Maker is never gonna fly.

I think Pongo nailed it... I haven't tried this game but with so much overblown(?) praise I have to think there is no way this game will ever live up to my expectations (or even get within a 100 miles of them). So alas, I 'll probably never bother to try it...

I must have had a dream as I remember this game being released many months ago and getting ridiculous praise.

I'm getting a serious sense of deja vu.

Back
Top Bottom