General News - Spy DNA announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The strategy RPG Spy DNA has been officially annouced - a Kickstarter is planned:

How we’re different

Our goal is to bring a new level of intensity to gameplay by creating a believable and realistic world.

We started by creating a combat system that feels as much as real combat as possible.

Weapons behave like in the real world.
We’ve created a physics-based model of the weapons. The projectiles lose damage and armor penetration over distance as you would expect.

Accuracy.
The most important thing in a firefight is figuring out what you hit when you shoot. We built a virtual firing range for the developers to use to dial in the accuracy [link here]. We even dug up a bunch of shooting records and guidelines from the real world to use as benchmarks for our virtual weapons.

Armor works as it does in reality.
In real life armor is rated for the type of bullets it STOPS. Buy a piece of armor, get hit with a round it’s rated for, and you’ll end up with nothing worse than a (bad) bruise. However, if the bullet isn’t stopped, it’s still going to hurt, a lot.

Getting shot, stabbed, blown up, or set on fire are Really Bad Things™.
It’s far better to avoid them than to try to “tank” them.
More information.

I wish them luck because they seem to be taking their project seriously, but the results are really poor and bland so far, judging by that video.

I'm not one to be very bothered about graphics, but everything feels unrealistic and slow motion. Hope it's a really early sketch build if they want to meet some success.

I'm not one to be very bothered about graphics, but everything feels unrealistic and slow motion. Hope it's a really early sketch build if they want to meet some success.

One of the dev's here. If you are commenting on the character movement, we didn't yet have "run, jog, walk, sneak" in the UI when it was recorded. Everything was defaulting to walk.

As always, the feedback is welcome. It really does help us to know what others see.

One of the dev's here. If you are commenting on the character movement, we didn't yet have "run, jog, walk, sneak" in the UI when it was recorded. Everything was defaulting to walk.

As always, the feedback is welcome. It really does help us to know what others see.

I'm curious if this game is turn based or real time/pause. Is this going to be an X-com type game? A Jagged Alliance type game? Or is there going to be an interactive story and noncombat skills and interaction?

I'm curious if this game is turn based or real time/pause. Is this going to be an X-com type game? A Jagged Alliance type game? Or is there going to be an interactive story and noncombat skills and interaction?

The game is much closer to JA than X-com. It does bring genetic enhancement to the table. The gameplay effects of it are things such as automatic first aid to prevent your party from bleeding out, and minor to moderate basic attribute improvements. It's not the gameplay changing special class powers you see in some games. We always work of the simple question, do we think in 50 years a human could do it? If so we can include it, but we really want to keep everything grounded in a believable reality.

The core combat simulation is 100% real time with pausing and queuing. You will be able to tell your party to auto-pause for events such as "spot a threat". We want the player to have time to think and form their strategy.

There is a story, around 200 pages last time I checked with the writer. That is before the expansion as all the dialog options are written. The game is combat heavy but does have other skills such as lock picking and hacking.

Damn, everything looked and sounded promising until I read the real-time with pause combat. I have yet to see that implemented well in a way that I found enjoyable and not frustrating or vastly inferior to turn-based combat. Good luck being the first developer to pull it off though!

The voice in that video sounds like he could do a hilarious Trump parody.

As for the game itself: Good luck! It's hard to pull something like this off.

Thanks, Maylander!

We're working on a new trailer for Greenlight, but we'll probably use the same voice actor for it. :)

While we're working on that trailer with current gameplay footage, you can see the current look/feel of the game in newer videos on our youtube channel: http://bit.ly/shysnakeyt

Back
Top Bottom