It Lurks Below - Steam Page Up

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
It Lurks Below has a Steam Page and will be 'releasing soon'.

About This Game

It Lurks Below is a retro-styled, 2D, action-oriented, survival RPG by David Brevik. Create a custom character and choose from several different classes to delve deep into the mysteries of what evil lurks below. Dig down and explore the randomly generated levels, find random items, and combat deadly monsters to get the answers.

More information.

I'm impressed he's got so much going in only 25mb (and most of that is sound files!). Only 5mb of compiled code, written in C/C++. (He also mentions that his first ever program in C was Diablo).

Current character classes seem to be Wizard, Cleric and Rogue (?). Can't remember if there were any others, but there def didn't seem to be any fighter types. Necromancer is planned.

It would not take much code to write a game like this - probably less than 4000 lines. The graphics and sound would be the bulk of the work (imho). Multiplayer shouldn't be that hard - maybe an additional 2000 lines with the bulk depending on his model (pvp or co-op) - the question is would he used peer model or client/server model.
-
This reminds me of something that was released 7 or 12 years ago (can't quite remember the name of the game - but the art and style is very similar). I just don't see what this game has going for it over the 100's of similar games the past decade other than the creator.

I just don't see what this game has going for it over the 100's of similar games the past decade other than the creator.
Going by that, I'm not certain you know what sort of game this is.
It's basically Terraria or Starbound (the latter is what he has played the most of), but with RPG classes, character progression, and a bunch of dungeon-bash elements. I can't think of many (any?) Terraria "clones" that are quite like that. And whilst quite a few Terraria clones have appeared over the last few years, I'm not certain there are "100s", let alone "100s" that take this route.

Back
Top Bottom