RPGWatch - Sunless Sea Preview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Soulbane delves into the unforgiving Sunless Sea, the dread-inducing Steampunk roguelike coming February 2. So lets thank both Soulbane, and Aubrielle for her editing.

Sunless Sea is the second game by indie developer Failbetter Games. Being a small team, Failbetter became known when they released their first title – Fallen London – in 2009, a browser-based choose your own adventure game set in a unique alternative Victorian Gothic steampunk world. After the award-winning first title, Failbetter went on to capitalize on their success and launched a Kickstarter campaign for Sunless Sea in 2013, which was funded quickly. Sunless Sea strives to retain Failbetter’s strengths (namely, their high quality writing, unusual and intriguing setting, and some of the choose your own adventure style) while adding in exploration, combat, some rogue-like mechanics, and roleplaying elements with more depth than previously seen. The game entered Early Access in July 2014, and just recently we’ve been provided the release date of February 2 this year.
More information.

Great preview - I'm normally not so much into Rogue-likes but this one sounds entertaining!

Yea, well, you can switch off the rogue-like aspect, so to say, like I did, and play it as a non-rogue-like.

Afterwards you can save at any time in ports (even during story choices), but you lose an insignia that represents the no-save element, and you can never go back to the rogue-like game on the same captain, ever. You can still die and choose not to load, though. :)

I'm so sorry, guys. I'd put February 2 for the release date, and I was wrong. According to the game's Steam page, it's February 6. I've changed it accordingly. ^.^

I love Steampunk, so this one's been on my radar for a while, but after Soulbane's preview, I'm really excited to try it now. ^.^

I have been playing Fallen London for several months now and I am in love of the Neath.
Among the first games I used to play were interactive fictions and latter MUDs.
The narrative and lore of Fallen London, and ergo, of Sunless Sea is magnificent.
Anyone who wants to get immerse in a rich world full of bizarre and colorful characters should really give these games a try.

It does sound cool. It sounds like it has a lot more depth and story than Pirates! which is a good thing. Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed preview.

I'm glad people find it intriguing. But really, thank Aubrielle for letting my excuse for a preview land here! :)

@forgottenlor: Pirates! is absolutely a good comparison, although with a lot less emphasis on economy and trading, and a lot, lot more on story and writing. Combat is less realistic. And of course, a completely different atmosphere. People often compare it to FTL, primarily because of the rogue-like mode.

It wasn't an "excuse", Soulbane. It was a nice, lengthy, detailed article. :)

What a fantastic preview! I've read RPS write about this game four bloody times, and tell me almost nothing compared to this. Compliments to your spelling and grammar as well, something RPS also isn't that great at.

Thanks guys, I'm humbled. :)

@Pladio: Interesting that it was also Splattercat's LP of Sunless Sea that I stumbled upon and that made me investigate further and buy the game. He's terrible at playing games usually, but provides entertaining commentary to make up for it. In his vids on this game he complains a lot about stuff, but he cannot grasp some of the simplest concepts of the design (and fails because of that). He decides that he's "seen everything" but is far from it by the time he wraps up the series.
Add to that the fact that since the LP, the game looks, feels, and plays a lot better and smoother, and is about 5 times the size and content.

Thanks guys, I'm humbled. :)

@Pladio: Interesting that it was also Splattercat's LP of Sunless Sea that I stumbled upon and that made me investigate further and buy the game. He's terrible at playing games usually, but provides entertaining commentary to make up for it. In his vids on this game he complains a lot about stuff, but he cannot grasp some of the simplest concepts of the design (and fails because of that). He decides that he's "seen everything" but is far from it by the time he wraps up the series.
Add to that the fact that since the LP, the game looks, feels, and plays a lot better and smoother, and is about 5 times the size and content.

I haven't played the game yet, but it does look somewhat interesting.

He does seem right in saying that there isn't much to explain anything.

There wasn't much, but even so he never read the tutorial. Nor did he realize that noone's gonna tell him where to find stuff, because part of the game's challenge is to explore and find trade routes, quests, and hidden stuff for yourself.

It so happens that there's a new tutorial that is much better imho, and they keep adding stuff to it.

This game went from absolutely off my radar, to on my radar, quite heavily now. Thanks for the preview. Sounds like something I'd certainly be interested in.

Their other game, Fallen London, was also pretty good. But it was one of those Browser-online-get-so-many-turns-a day game. And after a couple weeks I tired of playing for only 5 or 10 minutes a day. Sunless Sea has been on my radar for a while, but kinda slipped off. Thanks for the reminder, Soulbane.

Back
Top Bottom