Half Life 3 Confirmed!

VR is a big thumbs down and a "Boooooooo!" from me. Oh well.

Epic exclusive : )

Meh.
Half of the potential audience who'd buy it if Valve didn't stall for years is now dead.
From the other half rarely anyone cares about VR.

You know, this is looking more and more like it's really going to be Half Life 3. It isn't going to take place after 2+episodes so it doesn't fit time-line wise but the game is supposed to be just as big as Half Life 2 and Valve is pouring a lot of resources into the game.

It's not Half Life 3. They've been pretty clear about that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pc...alyx-release-date-trailer-everything-we-know/

It's a completely different protagonist, and it takes place before Half Life 2. In fact, they didn't even plan it as a Half Life game originally. They started using Half Life assets as placeholders during development and eventually decided to make it a spin-off.

I'm still excited about this game though even if I don't play VR. If it's a success, I think it greatly increases the odds of Valve finally doing Half Life 3.

Maybe Valve realized that they have to start making games again now that they’re getting so much competition from EA Origin, Epic, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Google Stadia(?) all creating they’re own stores, removing some of their games from Steam and doing exclusives.

Also this will probably be the game that pushes millions of people to buy a VR headset. It’s similar to what Valve did with HL2 and forcing people to install Steam to play it. That’s really what kickstarted steam if I remember correctly.

@jd;13 - yeah, different protagonist and out of order, but if this game had come out before HL2 then this would have been HL2. Far Cry has a different protagonist every game as do some others.

You remember right, @Lemonhead; - though I can't imagine this pushing millions to get a VR headset. Tens of thousands maybe.

It's not Half Life 3. They've been pretty clear about that.

I think he’s more referring to it as “the next full Half-Life game”.

We however understand better, that this is just a meaner token payment from the Valve peasants (watch me eat my words and it becomes game of the decade).

@jd;13 - yeah, different protagonist and out of order, but if this game had come out before HL2 then this would have been HL2. Far Cry has a different protagonist every game as do some others.

Things would be very different if this had been the next game after the original HL. As it is, there won't be a HL 3 without Gordon Freeman. He's as much a part of Half Life as Lara Croft is to Tomb Raider or the Space Marine to Doom.

I definitely won't buy a VR headset in the near future so I'm not interested in this game specifically. But I am a fan of Half Life series and I see this as good move. I hope they are thinking about this as a test to see how people react to a HL game after all these years and if the reception is good enough, they release a true HL3 that doesn't need a VR headset to be played.

Like I mentioned in another thread, and I know not a lot of pepole will agree with me, I would love to see a fully open world Half Like game set in City 17 and around it. Kind of like Dying Light (I can't wait for Dying Light 2 to come out, btw). I know that is a total opposite of the scripted, linear structure HL1 and 2 have, but I always wanted to know what it would look like.

This peaked my intrest since it is a new half-life game! I doubt I'll be getting a vr set anytime soon, but I'm definitely curious about this new game.

Back
Top Bottom