C2077 Cyberpunk 2077 - News Roundup

Cyberpunk 2077
Cyberpunk 2077 – Overusing Cybernetics Will Have Consequences
CD Projekt RED are no strangers to choice and consequence mechanics, which is something they seem to be doubling down on with their upcoming Cyberpunk 2077. But apparently, that’s just not going to be limited to the narrative- it’s going to bleed into the way you play, mechanically speaking, as well.

I bet underusing will have consequences too. :p

Cyberpunk 2077: “We Want To Show The Game Industry How To Do Things"
Mills spoke about how CD Projekt RED is a studio that wants to change the games industry, to show their peers how to do things, making the point that where other games or developers or publishers would have denied having any sort of political or social commentary in their game, that’s not what Cyberpunk 2077 is going to do at all.

“One of the things about this company has always been we want to show the game industry how to do things,” said Mills. “We want to change the game industry. We want to say, ‘We can do things differently, we don’t have to do things that way.’ It’s in our motto: ‘We are rebels’, right?”

What that means, according to Mills, is that with Cyberpunk 2077, the studio is going to be veering into political topics without any hiccups or hesitations, something he feels more other studios wouldn’t do.

“So when you’ve got other studios saying, ‘Oh, no no no, there’s nothing political here’, we say, ‘Yeah, there is.’ It’s not necessarily what you’re expecting, and we’re not going to talk about exactly what we’re going to say- it’s for you to decide when you play it. But Cyberpunk is relevant to today, extremely so. To pretend like it’s not? Come on. Mike [Pondsmith, Cyberpunk 2020 creator] wouldn’t let us. Mike would throw a fit if we tried to say, ‘This is just about cool hairstyles and cool guns, that’s all.'”
picard-facepalm.jpg

Guess you love politics in your games then. I don't.

Maybe One Angry Gamer was right all along.

Cd Projekt red has gotten Woke it seems.:cool:

I like the fact that gaming studios feels empowered enough to put whatever opinion they want in their games (as long as it's not "hate speech").

It's another step in the direction of artistic regognition and maturity. Video-games for me are as important as cinema and litterature, and those mediums don't shy away from politics.

Plus, politics have already entered video-games for a long time now, but only in the form of jingoistic propaganda (all the Call of Duty from the 2000's are nothing more than that), It can only be good to have some counterpoints in the AAA industy.

Maybe One Angry Gamer was right all along.

So you actually buy into this "OH WHAT A DEGENRATE WOMANS; HAS UGLY UGLY TATTOOOSOS" rant? :p

Every work of fiction has political connotations. That idiot just does not have a single clue about what they are in this case.

I like the fact that gaming studios feels empowered enough to put whatever opinion they want in their games (as long as it's not "hate speech").

It's another step in the direction of artistic regognition and maturity. Video-games for me are as important as cinema and litterature, and those mediums don't shy away from politics.

Plus, politics have already entered video-games for a long time now, but only in the form of jingoistic propaganda (all the Call of Duty from the 2000's are nothing more than that), It can only be good to have some counterpoints in the AAA industy.

Yeah I wont don't deny if its done right and not preachy like other developers then fine. After watching this devolper cave in to internet outrage over twitter posts I don't know.

Frankly speaking I don't want to see another developer spouting diversity, and going down that path. I see this happening in most US company's nowadays its a trend.
So you actually buy into this "OH WHAT A DEGENRATE WOMANS; HAS UGLY UGLY TATTOOOSOS" rant? :p

Every work of fiction has political connotations. That idiot just does not have a single clue about what they are in this case.
Nope just saying there was some kernel of truth even if it was just non-sense. It's hard to write what I actually think in words. So sorry I can't explain any better then that.

I just don't want to see another developer spouting diversity, and going down that path. I see this happening in most US company's nowadays and its exhausting.
I don't know, in France political correction is most of the time seen as respect and decency. It sometimes goes wrong, of course.
But I also know that being against every form or respect or equalities by principle is just anti-PC gone mad ;)

“One of the things about this company has always been we want to show the game industry how to do things,” said Mills. “We want to change the game industry. We want to say, ‘We can do things differently, we don’t have to do things that way.’ It’s in our motto: ‘We are rebels’, right?”

What that means, according to Mills, is that with Cyberpunk 2077, the studio is going to be veering into political topics without any hiccups or hesitations, something he feels more other studios wouldn’t do.

“So when you’ve got other studios saying, ‘Oh, no no no, there’s nothing political here’, we say, ‘Yeah, there is.’ It’s not necessarily what you’re expecting, and we’re not going to talk about exactly what we’re going to say- it’s for you to decide when you play it. But Cyberpunk is relevant to today, extremely so. To pretend like it’s not? Come on. Mike [Pondsmith, Cyberpunk 2020 creator] wouldn’t let us. Mike would throw a fit if we tried to say, ‘This is just about cool hairstyles and cool guns, that’s all.'”
I read it differently than the majority.

Banning or allowing scamware is - politics and political decision.
Horse armor acceptable or declared illegal by laws - again, politics.
Is market really free if pot is not allowed - politics once again.
Should gambling be taxed shyhigh or not at all - political decisions.
Etc.

While I'm obviously talking about economy politics, I'm pretty sure Pondsmith's statement will be taken as Oscars silly political correctness in communications criteria.
But when someone says “We want to change the game industry… We can do things differently, we don’t have to do things that way." I see what my heart wants to see. And my wallet. Because I'm not a hotel owner. Yet?

I don't know, in France political correction is most of the time seen as respect and decency. It sometimes goes wrong, of course.
But I also know that being against every form or respect or equalities by principle is just anti-PC gone mad ;)
That fine that's your opinion doesn't mean either of us is right.

Though your welcome to come to America home of the bat shit insane SJW's.

Though your welcome to come to America home of the bat shit insane SJW's.
I'm a country boy, I like nature, hiking and hunting. If I come to the States I'm more incline to go in the deep, where anti-pc and right-wingers lives... (and never drunk talk about politics, because I'm a mouthy left-winger).

Frankly speaking I don't want to see another developer spouting diversity, and going down that path. I see this happening in most US company's nowadays its a trend.

They said nothing about diversity. Political topics can go beyond the typical gamergate rant. I think you're projecting your own fears into their words.

Nope just saying there was some kernel of truth even if it was just non-sense. It's hard to write what I actually think in words. So sorry I can't explain any better then that.

The problem with that kernel of truth is that you have to dig through a few tons of bullshit to find it. If you honestly want to talk these points, I'd suggest to find a better source to quote.

But… I really think you'll stick to this because it makes for a nice provocation. :p

It seems to me that it's not unusual, or necessarily undesirable, for a creative work to have "an agenda". It might once have been to show the harsh truth of the Old West, rather than the white hats vs Apaches stuff that had gone before (that would have been considered very controversial, at one time). Or showing the true madness and horror of war, rather than cheery jingoistic shoot-em-ups. Or, like in James Cameron's Aliens, to create an iconic female hero.

The only question, to my mind, is if the end result is any good. We all know what it looks like when it's done badly, and it's just clumsy tokenism (the black character in South Park is called Token Black, to mock that very thing.) But I really don't think having a point to make is a negative. Particularly in science fiction, where thinly veiled political critique is part of its DNA.

Last edited:
But… I really think you'll stick to this because it makes for a nice provocation. :p
You know me so well have a hug.:hug:

Someone has to balance the political opinions on this forum, and it can't just be Damian doing it. Otherwise we have only have an echo chamber that repeats itself, that's boring.

Talking Cyberpunk 2077 With the Game’s Composer Marcin Przybyłowicz
Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that has been on a lot of people’s mind, especially following the release of their nearly 50 minute gameplay demo. In it, CD PROJEKT RED showed off many of the game’s mechanics and what their ambitions for the title are. I was already very sold on the game coming out if it’s E3 2018 showing, so I jumped at the chance to talk to Cyberpunk 2077‘s composer, Marcin Przybyłowicz.
CD Projekt RED comments on Cyberpunk 2077 ray tracing, mods and VR
CD Projekt RED has replied to a number of questions on Twitter regarding Cyberpunk 2077. According to the team, Cyberpunk 2077 will feature a photomode via which gamers will be able to capture their own screenshots.

Cyberpunk 2077 to be distributed by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Cyberpunk 2077 is a narrative-driven, open-world RPG set in the most vibrant and dangerous metropolis of the future — Night City. The game follows the story of V, a mercenary on the rise in a world of cyberenhanced street warriors, tech-savvy netrunners and corporate life-hackers. Featuring CD Projekt RED’s hallmark concept of choices and consequences, players will face difficult decisions that ripple through the entire game. Winner of over 100 awards at E3 2018, Cyberpunk 2077is set in the universe of the classic pen & paper RPG system, Cyberpunk 2020.

Michal Nowakowski, CD Projekt’s Member of the Board and SVP of Business Development

“We’ve worked with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment on The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and both releases turned out to be really successful, so we’re entering this new stage of our cooperation with great confidence. Cyberpunk 2077 is our biggest and most ambitious project to date, and I’m really looking forward to all the amazing things we can achieve together.”

Kevin Kebodeaux, Senior Vice President, Sales, Americas, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

“CD Projekt RED is one of the best game development studios in the world and it’s great to be working with the team again. Cyberpunk 2077 is a standout title and we are expecting great things from our continued collaboration with CD Projekt RED.”

Back
Top Bottom