Nioh 2 - New Screenshots and Story Trailer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Wccftech shows some new screenshots of Nioh 2 and a story trailer.

A new batch of Nioh 2 screenshots has been released today, showing more of the upcoming game characters and mechanics.

The new screenshots showcase Akechi Mistuhide, Toshizo Saito, Oichi, Nagamasa Asai and Hide Matsunaga as well as new Yokai, new locations, and the new Skill Tree, which should make it easier to keep track of learned skills. You can find the screenshots below.

[...]

Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Hmmm. Japanese setting, characters, costumes, and weapons. Yet characters all speak with semi-British accents. Okaaaay.

Hmmm. Japanese setting, characters, costumes, and weapons. Yet characters all speak with semi-British accents. Okaaaay.

Not uncommon, they probably hired British voice actors to do the English translation.

I don’t really notice a British accent. I know the protagonist from the first game was the first Englishman to reach japan but he’s not in the second game.

Anyway despite several attempts I haven’t been able to complete nioh 1. The combat and mechanics are solid but the setting, level design and encounter design is a bit off putting. I often think of giving it another try so maybe one day I’ll finish.

I finished the main storyline in Nioh, but I didn't play the extremely difficult post-game content for very long.

I'll probably end up getting Nioh 2, anyway.

I found Nioh to be ridiculously hard. It made Dark Souls feel easy, or at least possible to play. There was no room to breathe or think in Nioh, where Dark Souls allowed me to think a little and consider what I was doing.

Unless they can trim the loading times way, way down, I think I'm done with these punishing "hard as nails" ARPGs. I just don't have the spirit needed to sit through 30+ second long load screens every time I die. The concept has lost its appeal to me.

I recently played though the Witcher 3 again. And at certain fights, I ended up turning the difficulty down. I got really good at the game, and many times I'm sure I could have beaten the fights at normal or even normal +1 difficulty, but I just didn't want to have to sit through 2 minutes of loading in the event that I did die. Sometimes it's 10pm and I want to get through a particular segment of the game and go to bed at a logical resting place in a game. You just cannot do that with these Dark Souls games.

I'll likely skip this one unless they release some "old man" mode for playing it.

Japanese setting, characters, costumes, and weapons. Yet characters all speak with semi-British accents. Okaaaay.

Media— including games— still clings to tropes and practices that became commonplace and widely accepted by audiences back when the first "talkie" movies came out in the early 1930s. Almost all media uses tropes that go way back to early motion picture practices.

The problem here is a Japanese-presenting fantasy game using English speaking actors with Japanese accents will lead to a comparison of cheaply-made martial-arts films from the 1960s-70s. Think Bruce Lee movies, or even the bad dubbing used in Japanese monster movies starring Gamera, Mothra and Godzilla. That makes American audiences smile and laugh. And this game is going for ultra-serious, apparently.

This is—at its heart—an interactive Japanese style monster-movie/Bushido movie. Almost all the games we play fit this "interactive genre movie" mold, essentially. Which is why I cringe so hard when I see adults take these games so, so seriously. It's frivolous fun, people! Enjoy it for what it is! Nothing more.

I just hope I never hear another Dwarf speak with a "funny" Scottish accent.

I found Nioh to be ridiculously hard. It made Dark Souls feel easy, or at least possible to play. There was no room to breathe or think in Nioh, where Dark Souls allowed me to think a little and consider what I was doing.

Unless they can trim the loading times way, way down, I think I'm done with these punishing "hard as nails" ARPGs. I just don't have the spirit needed to sit through 30+ second long load screens every time I die. The concept has lost its appeal to me.

I recently played though the Witcher 3 again. And at certain fights, I ended up turning the difficulty down. I got really good at the game, and many times I'm sure I could have beaten the fights at normal or even normal +1 difficulty, but I just didn't want to have to sit through 2 minutes of loading in the event that I did die. Sometimes it's 10pm and I want to get through a particular segment of the game and go to bed at a logical resting place in a game. You just cannot do that with these Dark Souls games.

I'll likely skip this one unless they release some "old man" mode for playing it.

Not sure what kind of system you’re playing on but nioh and DS loading screens were only a few seconds for me on an SSD. One of the things I like about these type of games is I feel if I only have 15-30 min to play I can play it and actually accomplish something. With other RPG’s like the Witcher 3 I feel like if I don’t have a 3-4 hour block of time it’s not worth it to play.

Back
Top Bottom