Anthem - Review @ TechQuila

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
TechQuila has reviewed Anthem:

Anthem Review: A Bare-bones Destiny Clone Without a Soul

BioWare's latest game or should I rather say EA's "Destiny clone" released a while back on all major platforms to a not so positive reception. It suffered a massive backlash from fans before as well as after release, with most complains claiming it to be one of EA's latest money-minting schemes. After putting in more than a hundred hours into the game, I've developed a fair opinion on what to expect from Anthem, regardless of whether you are a BioWare fan or from the cult of Destiny.

It's Really Fun at First But...
One of the core mechanics of BioWare's latest game involve the javelins that allow the player to fly and blitz across Anthem's gorgeous world. When you first fire up the game, you are greeted by a rather spectacular world filled with extraterrestrial creatures and ruins, remnants of a civilization long gone. These shaper ruins as they're called lie at the heart of the game's plot and lore.
[...]

SUMMARY
It almost feels like all the BioWare veterans went to take a nap and left the development of Anthem to interns or beginners who have never actually been part of a successful project or franchise.

Score: 3.4/5
Thanks Trespasser!

More information.

Let's all jump on the bandwagon.

Anthem has some flaws, but the biggest one is being developed under the EA flag. Anyone else would get 8/10 and higher scores.

I didn’t read the review. Talking to my son though he said the games pretty fun but there’s just not enough content. He and his friends tore through all the content in just over a weekend. They all play competitive shooters though so I’m sure the can get through content faster than the average joe. But, still they all have over 2000 hours in rainbow six but have shelved anthem after a weekend.

My thought is in a year or so when they have much more content it may be a decent game, but it also might be forgotten by then too.

Party heck yeah!!! Everyone join the hate train. I'll bring the beer & Pizza.:celebrate:

Seriously don't care about Anthem just despise EA and modern BioWare.:puke:

Anyway Anthem is now the worst rated game BioWare ever made.:dance:

all the BioWare veterans went to take a nap and left the development of Anthem to interns or beginners who have never actually been part of a successful project or franchise.

What actually happened, is that all the BioWare veterans left the ship by jumping into the ocean. There are only useless eater interns left, without skills, the usual idiots, whose main purpose in Destiny is to ruin a company, because they cannot do anything else.

Can't agree. Sure, sacking talent is always a bad idea, but in this case it was something else.

What actually happened were irrational (that'll later be called "below") expectations by corporate suits. Bullshit sells only as novelty, Flappy Bird and Goat Simulator are examples. A clone can't repeat one's success, who wants to pay for been there done that over and over again?

It wasn't talent, it was suits who decided being an unique developer (and Bioware was exactly that) who brings new styles of gaming even if we'll call it dumbing down is not a desirable future. High risk = high profit. EA tried to net high profit by ditching uniqueness and cloning "safe bets". The same philosophy killed music industry. Well, almost.

It might turn out to be a decent game at some point, but the affiliation with Electronic Arts and Origin platform will prevent me from ever trying it out personally. Based on what I've read and heard, it wouldn't be something I'd enjoy anyways, so no big loss.

Spent some time with the game. Not bad gunplay. Nut much of anything else though. In Destiny 2 I at least finished the main story campaign. In case of Anthem, after few hours I dont care about it. Not 4/10 game, not 8/10 game either.

Only question I keep asking, who, for god sake, thought that Bioware is right developer for something like this. No single part of this game could benefit from Bioware strenghts as developer. There is no story, no characters, no development, no intricate mechanics, nothing.

If this is all Bioware is capable of these days, then its done and over. If not, then its unbelievable waste of development resources. Stupid either way.

Let's all jump on the bandwagon.

Anthem has some flaws, but the biggest one is being developed under the EA flag. Anyone else would get 8/10 and higher scores.

In professional reviews? Or use scores? I doubt it in either case. I'd give you a point or so in bias (there surely is some), but not that much. Especially not for user scores.

And who can blame people for their bias? EA is working hard to reinforce it.

Whatever guys, I'm seeing some new "boycott Anthem" article titles all over internet. What's the new fuss about? Higher price of microtransactions?

Anthem is rated 4.4 by users and not much better by critics - 60 out of 100 - ouch.
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/anthem

Unfortunately for Anthem, it isn't Captain Marvel, and there aren't a bunch of feminist and sjw types artificially inflating the movie score because they are mad it was getting such low ratings from normal folk…Anthem should have put more of a focus on female heroes and such, to get that bump. :biggrin:

Unfortunately for Anthem, it isn't Captain Marvel, and there aren't a bunch of feminist and sjw types artificially inflating the movie score because they are mad it was getting such low ratings from normal folk… :biggrin:

Well somebody sounds bitter. Have you actually seen the movie yet?

Have you actually seen the movie yet?

No, I'm not interested in the movie. It looks pretty bad to me. "Captain Marvel" isn't even a real super hero. How lame can you get.

They could have at least gone with a real super hero, and if it had to be a woman, then why not Elektra, or Supergirl. Something that is actually cool and has real history in comic books.

No, I'm not interested in the movie. It looks pretty bad to me. "Captain Marvel" isn't even a real super hero. How lame can you get.

They could have at least gone with a real super hero, and if it had to be a woman, then why not Elektra, or Supergirl. Something that is actually cool and has real history in comic books.

Well you're welcome to your opinion of a movie you've never seen, but your statement about score inflation smells like horse shyte to me.

Well you're welcome to your opinion of a movie you've never seen, but your statement about score inflation smells like horse shyte to me.
Well he's not lying just search google for score inflation and shady release tactics. One example is Rotten Tomatoes deleted reviews to make the user score better this week.

What surprised me is the Critic reviews are not good either. I personally thought they would over sell and hype the feminist agenda of the movie. They surprised me this time.

Well he's not lying just search google for score inflation and shady release tactics. One example is Rotten Tomatoes deleted reviews to make the user score better this week.

What surprised me is the Critic reviews are not good either. I personally thought they would over sell and hype the feminist agenda of the movie. They surprised me this time.

Skeptical. I checked MetaCritic on the release date and it was getting review bombed again. But somehow removing those is shady? Eh, whatever. I plan to see it so I can judge for myself.

Skeptical. I checked MetaCritic on the release date and it was getting review bombed again. But somehow removing those is shady? Eh, whatever. I plan to see it so I can judge for myself.
Not just the reviews Disney and Marvel did other shady early release manipulation. They were caught manipulating early ticket sales before it's official release date.

Back
Top Bottom