The TV Series discussion thread

Yeah, regarding Wu Assassins , , ,

It will be on my to watch list after Madmen 3/4 done and Jerimiah 1/4 done. But I am a bit hesitant because the martial arts actions seems too choreographed and actually kinda phoney. I like my fight scenes more like Atomic Blond or Bourne, not 70's martial arts movies . . . unless it is Donny Wu type action and then I am all in.

Currently watching the series known as Dark, and I must say, it is superb.

It's voiced entirely in German, but there are subtitles available should you need them.

No spoilers, but here are my thoughts:

It starts off strong and takes a hold of you from the get-go. The haunting soundtrack really heightens the feel of tension and sadness, and the aspect of loss is accentuated through well acted scenes and beautifully depressing atmosphere. The pacing lends itself to gripping storytelling, and each character plays a carefully crafted role.

I'm loving it. So far, it's a solid 9/10. I think I found my new favorite series.

Last edited:
I watched a show over the past few weeks called The Disappearance, it was fairly entertaining. I quite enjoy the lead actor in the show, so seeing him again was what drew me to watch this in the first place. It got a bit convoluted at times, and I thought the ending was a tad weak, but the journey there was interesting.

Finished Madmen. I liked it a lot but had a lot of problems with the show. It reminded me of the game Heavy Rain. In that it was good game that was nearly ruined by QTEs.

The show was brilliant when it actually dealt with the 1960's Madison Ave. advertising agency. They showed great advertising strategies, office politics, the then current politics and news events. Additionally the superior level of set design was amazing. They used music and songs of the times, TV shows of the time and even many real products of the time. They did not skimp on things that made the 60s, the 60s.

However, the show spent most of its time on character arcs and only one character (Don) deserved the amount of time they spent on that part of the story telling. It really bogged down on Betty who ultimately, imo, was a consistently hisable villain. The actor may have been just too good, just like Lousie Fletcher in Cuckoos Nest, it took me decades to appreciate Fletcher.

The concluding episodes in show wrapped up the series and most of the main character arcs. But I would have rather seen how advertising was starting to revolve in the 70s.

A great show to watch with other people. Although be warned there are a couple of tear jerker moments in the show.

This link is supposedly a definitive ranking of every character on the show. Kinda fun to browse. I agree with the top 5 although I have them in a different order.

https://www.mic.com/articles/118098/a-definitive-ranking-of-every-mad-men-character-ever

Whoot! The Dark Crystal from 1982 is getting a 10 episode prequel series. This came out of nowhere for me. I'm so excited!

Whoot! The Dark Crystal from 1982 is getting a 10 episode prequel series. This came out of nowhere for me. I'm so excited!
You should watch this place more often then :)

Not this thread specifically... this place :)
I do remember it being mentioned before somewhere....

I couldn't find anything Dark Crystal related in this thread
I've seen the news before and didn't write as... Sorry, can't care about those particular muppets. I need my Farscape fix instead.

I found my perfect tv show. Just finished Westworld S1.
* Lingering shots of naked ladies
* Plenty of mystery
* cool sfx
Season finale was disappointing, but I'll give it a re-watch since I was tired and maybe not fully appreciating it. How is season 2, anyone (no spoilers please)?

Started The Marvelous Mrs Maisal, got about half way through and then speed viewed the balance of season 1. And I am out. Not a good show to watch after Mad Men. Not very likeable main character, boring sub plots, and horrendous set and costume design ( at least compared to Madmen). Just cant figure out the whys as far as the shows popularity. However, it was nice in that Lenny Bruce plays a pivotal role in the first season.

Started Wu Assassins. (2 episodes in) The main guy from the Raid (Uwais) stars in this show. My reluctance to check out this show would have been completely abated if I had realized that in the beginning. My bad. The martial arts action is a bit fake but the athleticism is not. Iko Uwais has some skills and reminds me of a younger Jackie Chan in that he uses what ever is available when its FIGHTIN' TIME. So far this looks like the same type of fun like Amazon's the Boys.

I found my perfect tv show. Just finished Westworld S1.

Season finale was disappointing, but I'll give it a re-watch since I was tired and maybe not fully appreciating it. How is season 2, anyone (no spoilers please)?

Season 2 is watchable but the wonder is gone. How in the hell do you top the twists that were eventually revealed in Season 1. Sadly, the story telling is a lot slower than Season 1 but some explanations are revealed.

Ultimately, now, I am ready for season 3, so that should say something.

Season 1 of Westworld is one of the best seasons of a TV drama I've ever seen. I knew Season 2 was going to be a step down no matter what, but it's still really good.

I'm really looking forward to the third season which is going to have Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad) joining the cast.

Overall, Westworld has been an unexpectedly glorious mindfuck.
At first I was a bit dubious about the need for a 3rd season, as the end of season 2 was nicely bittersweet and ended things well enough. But seeing the press and teaser for the the 3rd season, I'm really looking forward to it now.

Just watched the trailer for the Mandalorian. Looked pretty good I thought. I don't think it will be enough to make me subscribe to Disney+ though, not unless I can unsubscribe immediately after watching it.

I recently finished rewatching the first season of Dark. I almost forgot how extraordinary it is. Hopefully going to start watching Season 2 in the next few days.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Karate Kid moves from the eighties, I enjoyed them at the time but they aren't films that I re-view. I've watched the first three episodes of Cobra Kai this week, and so far I'm liking it a lot. Right now I'm hoping it maintains this quality to the finish.

Not a single word for a week? People, please!
I want to watch this crazyness asap:

Back
Top Bottom