General News - Chris Avellone Interview

Don't know what that says but he left his thoughts on Codex and described himself as one of guys in the trenches. Lead whatever usually are above that.
But maybe that is the problem Avellone talked about how Obsidian gave titles but didn't follow with expectations for those titles.

That's what I read, too, and it's throwing me off. Regardless, according to Anthony, he is content at Obsidian about 95% of the time.

Last edited:
That's what I read, too, and it's throwing me off. Regardless, according to Anthony, he is content at Obsidian about 95% of the time.
Avellone also talked about people not giving more than minimum effort... I don't know if Anthony is in that group or maybe some of these other very satisfied employees that Anthony knows.

The future-employment part of non-compete agreements are complete BS, in my opinion. It's my understanding, at least in the U.S., they aren't very eforcebale. I signed one. I certainly have no plans to steal any clients (what I understand to be the primary motivation for my non-compete agreement), but I will break the employment part of it in a heartbeat, if I have to. I'll work anywhere I like, thank you. Sue me.

I'm curious what day he left the company; it might be that health extended till the month boundary (that was the case for myself). You have 30 days from leaving employment to obtain cobra - so that aspect is not too rigid.

Tying health care to employment never made much sense to me, and only becomes odder the more you think about it. Yes, I realize there are other ways to receive health care in the States, but one day the masses are going to realize the sheer idiocy of such a benefit being lost simply because you moved on from your career, or were let go.

His former company have made big money from crowdfunding campaigns, using his name and his history as a bait.
They dismiss him and refused him his fair request to have a appropriate share on the profits. May be they threaten him to not revel their dirty secrets.
He had no fair share from the profits , so he complain about his former employer greediness.
This time is time for revenge.
:cm:

Just to add to what griniaris said from the man himself.

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS said: ↑

All memeing aside, Chris Avellone Infi does have a point here, airing of grievances on that scale is not something I've seen people in the industry do, not unless they've had a long-term job lined up and they felt very secure about their future.

Why are you telling all of this now? Is it because the NDA expired just now? Is it just a spur of the moment thing? What's your big plan?

Chris Avellone said:

Good question – most employees won’t ever speak to this, because they sign an NDA to that effect. I didn’t.

I didn’t think to respond to anything until it was suddenly clear that it was not understood what I got as an Obsidian owner (which was nothing), but no one understood that. Except Infinitron. My sweet, sweet Infinitron.

I think there's something in the air. We had ructions in the Black Geyser thread, then Chris Avellone goes postal, and the P&R forum suddenly came back to life.

Elephants go through something called "musth", which is when their testosterone suddenly increases 50 fold, and then all go bananas and kick off. It's thought it's a way of shaking up the hierarchy.

I think there's something in the air. We had ructions in the Black Geyser thread, then Chris Avellone goes postal, and the P&R forum suddenly came back to life.

Elephants go through something called "musth", which is when their testosterone suddenly increases 50 fold, and then all go bananas and kick off. It's thought it's a way of shaking up the hierarchy.

Okay spiel time:

Speak truth to power. That is what is going on right now in the west. Don't let yourself be sidelined by labels and your own fears. Fears given to you by ideologues and control freaks. Conversation ultimately helps people contextualize problems, silencing conversations before they can begin is regressive and causes partisian politics.

Labelling is the worst because you immediately stop a conversation and all the talk goes into the label instead. Even saying right or left wing is a problem because you just discuss what you have been told is right or left wing. At that point you are an ideological puppet repeating ideas that have been poured into your head rather than the actual ideas in play. Identity politics is the cause and the solution is to not care about identity politics anymore. Discuss ideas and philosophy instead free of labels. Time for a mind revolution.

I thought he left voluntarily.

His former company have made big money from crowdfunding campaigns, using his name and his history as a bait.
They dismiss him and refused him his fair request to have a appropriate share on the profits. May be they threaten him to not revel their dirty secrets.
He had no fair share from the profits , so he complain about his former employer greediness.
This time is time for revenge.
:cm:

Okay spiel time:

Speak truth to power. That is what is going on right now in the west. Don't let yourself be sidelined by labels and your own fears. Fears given to you by ideologues and control freaks. Conversation ultimately helps people contextualize problems, silencing conversations before they can begin is regressive and causes partisian politics.

Labelling is the worst because you immediately stop a conversation and all the talk goes into the label instead. Even saying right or left wing is a problem because you just discuss what you have been told is right or left wing. At that point you are an ideological puppet repeating ideas that have been poured into your head rather than the actual ideas in play. Identity politics is the cause and the solution is to not care about identity politics anymore. Discuss ideas and philosophy instead free of labels. Time for a mind revolution.

Theory confirmed.

:p

I thought he left voluntarily.

I believe he is been forcibly forced to leave voluntarily.

His employers have used him and than put him away, when they believe that this was the decision that may give them the most profit.

Talented and creative people should not be treated like that.

Those developers ethics really leave much to be desired.

Last edited:
Chris is working with Ken Levine and many others.
conan_edw said: ↑

Hey Chris, Now that you have burned all of your bridges isn't time to finish Arcanum

Chris Avellone said:
It is true, I will never get work again. What will I do? (I resisted adding a dramatic gasp to this, but I might do so in an edit.)

Unrelated (kidding but serious), I am happy to say I've been employed as a writer for Ghost Story Games (formerly Irrational) ever since my departure from Obsidian, and Ghost Story is great and their lore is amazing. Plus, their designers are smart (yes, Drew, I mean you) and I like what Ken Levine brings to characters very, very much.

I will expound later, after I desperately try and sift through my meager options, which don't include 10+ other companies doing exciting narrative shit - and not all of them in the States, thank god, because... well, U.S. games have a very safe feel to them.

The short of it is that none of the dozens of companies who reached out to me has ever cared overmuch about Obsidian and any troubles, because, well, it's Obsidian - most companies have bigger concerns to worry about.

Obsidian can keep doing whatever it is they do best. I wasn't sure what that was before my departure. I'm still not sure, beyond "I think it's a BG thing"... but there's often no mention of BioWare and their design principles when this is said. I will say Black Isle (Studios) would never have survived without what BioWare licensed to them (the Infinity Engine).

My take? I wish the developers well, but upper management? Get your shit together because the future is uncertain if you can't even develop and rely on your own tech.

The shit is hitting the fan!
Phanax said: ↑

OK, very serious question here. Are you actually at all worried about any blowback from being so candid about a former employer? The game industry might be large, but it can also be damn small at the same time.

Chris Avellone said:
No, but good question.

Aside from making up what Obsidian chose to never pay me, I set aside a legal fund to deal with any repercussions, and I will fight anything they bring to the table, tooth and nail. I welcome it.

If confronted with evil (as categorized by existing employees who will soon resign - check back in a week or two for the latest round, even though one of them dropped yesterday), I will be prepared to fight it. I guarantee I have more in my bank account than Obsidian does, since they rarely think more than 2 months in advance - and unfortunately, their very, very expensive lawyer charges by the hour, which is unfortunate, but he knows, remora-like, what to attach himself to to get the most financial gain.

But it's all okay - Paradox has already been in touch, and they aren't too happy with how Obsidian handled the work they asked for. Future revelations will likely be much more fun than mine.

I know that many here are not fond of Obsidian's most recent games, though I have enjoyed them very much. Chris obviously has a different vision than Obsidian does. His comments even before he left demonstrate this. Still to have left under such terms is sad, regardless of who is to blame. If he is correct, and Obsidian as a company is teetering on edge of ruin, it would make me very unhappy. I find the whole spectacle depressing.

Well, if I didn't laugh I'd cry. That's my default position most of the time I read the news, these days.

The shit is hitting the fan!
Phanax said: ↑

[skip]
But it's all okay - Paradox has already been in touch, and they aren't too happy with how Obsidian handled the work they asked for.

I'm supposed to believe Paradox is not happy with Obsidian for delivering a well received game (Tyranny) for those who played it on a shoestring budget (smaller than POE1) after the lead (MCA) left halfway and Paradox forget to market the game?

Really?

I'm supposed to believe Paradox is not happy with Obsidian for delivering a well received game (Tyranny) for those who played it on a shoestring budget (smaller than POE1) after the lead (MCA) left halfway and Paradox forget to market the game?

Really?
I don't know if you noticed but PoE2 is not being marketed and produced by Paradox. That should tell you all about it…

Back
Top Bottom